Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is The Palace of Westminster worth saving ?

Is The Palace of Westminster worth saving ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Absolutely. Not forgetting it is one of the most recognisable landmarks in the world and a big draw for tourists - therefore its rather important to the economy.

Plus, Parliament would just need somewhere else to be built, which would also cost an extortionate amount of money too, it would just be better off to make the repairs.

Ravids

Jun 19, 2013
Fishersgate Maritime Village
Absolutely. Not forgetting it is one of the most recognisable landmarks in the world and a big draw for tourists - therefore its rather important to the economy.

Plus, Parliament would just need somewhere else to be built, which would also cost an extortionate amount of money too, it would just be better off to make the repairs.

What he said.

I wonder where parliament will move to while these repairs are being made though.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
I'm struggling to find an Albion link here (anyone would think this was the Palace of Westminster message board) but I'll roll with it anyway. I'm the least traditional c**t you'll ever find, but it's a definite 'yes' from me. We must preserve our history or all of London will end up looking like Canary Wharf by 2053.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
absolutly - lets not take out our prejudices against its incumbants on the marvellous building itself. though where they get £3bn cost from i dont know, i imagine its some rare artisan skills who can charge through the nose and materials that are hard to get hold of. one wonders if you could build from new for that much.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
i imagine its some rare artisan skills who can charge through the nose and materials that are hard to get hold of. one wonders if you could build from new for that much.

My GF's brother is a restorative stonemason (and sculptor) who has been employed by the Eygptian Govt to work on various tombs in the Valley of the Kings and on the pyramids. It's fair to say that he has extremely high levels of artisan skills. Last year he was employed by a subbie of a subbie of the main contractor to work for 8 months restoring the stonework on the outside of the House of Lords. He made £8 ph. Someone, somewhere has, and will, make a lot of money, but it ain't the artisans...

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
someone, somewhere has, and will, make a lot of money, but it ain't the artisans...

THIS. If government departments are meant to be transparent then so should any contracts that involve public money. Alternatively I believe the Duke of Westminster may have some spare change!

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I'm struggling to find an Albion link here (anyone would think this was the Palace of Westminster message board) but I'll roll with it anyway. I'm the least traditional c**t you'll ever find, but it's a definite 'yes' from me. We must preserve our history or all of London will end up looking like Canary Wharf by 2053.
That's the place of work of our friend Mr Norman Baker who cost the Albion Millions of pounds?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Incredible building, & an iconic part of the London skyline. Absolutely should be looked after (bet it won't cost £3bn either: that's just a politician laying the ground for a large amount of public expenditure by making people think it will be outrageously high when in fact it'll probably only be slightly high...).

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
absolutly - lets not take out our prejudices against its incumbants on the marvellous building itself. though where they get £3bn cost from i dont know, i imagine its some rare artisan skills who can charge through the nose and materials that are hard to get hold of. one wonders if you could build from new for that much.

It's a public sector job so it will end up being two years late and costing £8bn.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

Absolutely agree. I somehow don't think the Government will settle for a ramshackle, £250k prefab building in Basingstoke as their new base of Parliament. I would imagine we'd be looking at a pretty whopping budget for whatever that may be anyway.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The work must be done. They should get another quote, though - and not from one of their mates from the golf club, lodge, or whatever.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
We must preserve our history or all of London will end up looking like Canary Wharf by 2053.

Think of the all the luverly money that will be made by real estate speculators!
And isn't that really what England, post 1979, is all about? the £/s/d?

The government can work out of an office park/trading estate in Slough, surely.
You can get an empty one further up north somewhere for peanuts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here