Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rip dave mackay ?

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
It has been reported on another football forum and on Wikipedia that the great Spurs and Scotland footballer has died. I have yet to see any other confirmation.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
RIP Dave
watched so many of his games for Derby on ITV Midlands while I lived in Shrewsbury the man was a colossos in the mud

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
The best football photo ever was him "greeting' Billy Bremner

IMAGE_364.jpg
I get asked to autograph that photo all the time. But I don’t like it because it portrays me as a bully – he’s smaller than me and I’m picking him up. I’m not a bully and don’t like bullies. He was a brilliant little player but a dirty little *******. He kicked me in the leg I’d just come back from breaking twice. If he’d kicked the other one, I could have accepted that. But he kicked the broken one, and that really annoyed me. I could’ve killed him that day. Alex Ferguson has that picture hanging in his office. I’m a good pal of Alex; I go at least once a year to see Man United, then back to his place.

Agreed, great photo.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
A true football legend, RIP Dave. Tough player, but fair. A bad week for Spurs fans.

edna krabappel

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
Owner of arguably the second most famous broken leg(s) in English football history. Unlike Dave Whelan, however, he didn't mention it at every opportunity.

edna krabappel

Jul 7, 2003
Though when asked, he did have some pertinent opinions on the subject of 'injured' players...

"I couldn’t carry on – my toe was touching my knee; I couldn’t believe it. Tib and fib broken; you can still see it [rolls up trouser leg]. I had to have my leg reset back in London from Manchester; the doctor said I might never play again. He kept in touch and said he couldn’t believe I’d come back; then nine months later it got broken again. I was never the same again; much weaker. Now, when I see players take a little knock and roll around as if they’ve been crippled, trying to get the player sent off, I think that’s disgusting. Some players fall over with just a little brush and sometimes without being touched. It’s always been the case but it happens more now than when I played".

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
I remember seeing him play at The Goldstone, beer belly and all, during Joe Kinnear's testimonial. Would have been late 70s I'm guessing. He cleared one off the line in front of the North Stand with an overhead kick. Sad loss.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Sad loss indeed. He played with my late Father in Law (Bobby Dougan) in the Hearts team of the mid 50s. They were a pretty good team too with Mackay getting the ball and my FiL , who was later described as 'a Beckenbauer ahead of his time' playing it out of defence. My FiLmet him again a decade and a half or so ago in Qatar, where Mackay , from what I recall, was speaking at a Burns dinner.
Great player indeed.

TNBA

TTF

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Very sad news. One of the big men of football. He was like a lion. One of the first players to make use of the ' long throw Bill Nicholson brought him to Spurs to team up with Blanchflower and White and win the double. In later years, Cloughie persuaded him to go to Derby, control the back four and win the title. When Clough and Taylor left, Dave took over and you've guessed it, won the title.
It is said that Bill Nicholson cried when Mackay broke his leg for the second time. It was a devastating blow to everybody. Yet he battled back, such was his strength. Hard but fair, he was a true legend of the game.
RIP Big Man.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I was at White Hart Lane when Dave broke his leg in the Europeon cup against Man U,Iwas the other side of the pitch and we all heard it snap.
Great tough player and the Spurs side then was supreme.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
I saw him play several times for Spurs in the early 60s. That was another world, football-wise, compared to today. Sendings off then were hardly ever seen and no subs either. That Spurs team was the only thing that has ever come close to attracting me away from supporting the Albion.

edna krabappel

Jul 7, 2003
While he had no particular Albion connection, that I know of, I imagine they'll acknowledge it tonight perhaps, given that (I believe?) he played for & managed Derby?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
While he had no particular Albion connection, that I know of, I imagine they'll acknowledge it tonight perhaps, given that (I believe?) he played for & managed Derby?

As I understand it, he played under Clough and Taylor and won the title and then, when they departed, he managed them to the title as well. ( as Daglish did at Liverpool )

edna krabappel

Jul 7, 2003
As I understand it, he played under Clough and Taylor and won the title and then, when they departed, he managed them to the title as well. ( as Daglish did at Liverpool )

Ah yes: it's coming back to me now. I believe it was Mackay who Clough signed when all & sundry thought he was virtually finished as a player, but who went on to inspire Derby to the title.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Could a moderator remove the question mark and give the great man capital letters at the beginning of his name. It feels very disrespectful.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I saw him play several times for Spurs in the early 60s. That was another world, football-wise, compared to today. Sendings off then were hardly ever seen and no subs either. That Spurs team was the only thing that has ever come close to attracting me away from supporting the Albion.

That Spurs team were very special. A rich mixture of talent that combined to produce the best team around for 2-3 years. Brown and Norman were solid at the back. The midfield was to die for. Blanchflower, White and Mackay. Wow...it doesn't get much better than that. A dynamic winger in Cliff Jones, a powerhouse centre-forward in Bobby Smith and then, the icing on the cake...after they won the double...the great Jimmy Greaves....sublime finisher.
Mackay was like a rock in that side. They should have won the European Cup in 1962 but were cheated out of it against Benfica in the semi's ( They would have beaten Barca in the final )
You're right, they were glorious to watch and you rarely see anything as good as that these days.,

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Dave Mackay was manager of Derby when they won the title in 1974-75. I am wondering whether his death will affect Derby's performance this evening.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here