Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Match Tickets 2015/16 - To Be Dynamically Priced

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
May get fixtured here - but in the small print stuff re season ticket renewals - it seems we will be switching from category A, B, C priced games to a different system re dependant on weather, demand, position in league of opposition etc

Derby have a similar system (we switched to same ticket software as them last summer) whereby the price for match goes up the closer you get to match / if match almost sold out, likewise if weather bad and opposition not up to much the price for match ticket goes down

Also good to see we have a new price grade for aged to 18-21 season tickets - Derby introduced this a year ago I believe

Just need to get a winning team next, Derby strengthened their play off squad from last year, we dismantled ours

As not renewing season ticket will be interested to see how match ticket pricing develops

Magicman

Jul 19, 2011
Elm Grove
All good stuff , just need a price bracket for kids aged 11 - 16 now . My 11 year old twins are just as dependent on Mum and i as they were when they were 10.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Interesting, be more like buying advance train or air tickets.

I'm willing to offer dynamic pricing for a couple of good tickets in WSU tomorrow - PM me with an offer.

PG

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Where does it say about that? Sounds bloody brilliant to be honest.

NOBODY is going to pay £42 6 months in advance to watch Huddersfield, but if it's much cheaper than that they might

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
this isnt real shirley? how would you know the weather in advance (other than cold/mild/warm), the price would affect demand, and the position of the opposition would change near the game (affecting the demand again). madness.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I think it makes perfect sense. As an ex Amex STH I now buy tickets much later, I take in various factors that help decide when and if I will buy a ticket. A late April Saturday 3pm game against top six opposition in glorious sunshine is far more attractive than Rotherham at 7.45pm on a Tuesday when we are one place above the relegation places.

I would suggest the club will make much more money by encouraging more ocassional fans at reduced prices (hopefully instilling a desire to return more often) and the top games attracting a premium price. As for me, it will certainly encourage earlier purchasing for the 'bigger' games.

On a side note, I am currently on holiday in Melbourne in Oz and went to watch Victory play on Sunday. Similar crowd size to us but the atmosphere was so much better even in defeat. I will start an associated thread in the next few days but suffice to say that I am am now a reluctant supporter of the dreaded dxxm!

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Obvious move. Will give the opportunity for the self righteous amongst our season ticket holders to make jibes
Alternatively it will give the opportunity for the non season ticket holders to moan whinge bellyache and cry over the fact that loyal supporters like them are being priced out of the game, because £45 is too expensive to see us play Sunderland, first game of the season.

Brovion

Jul 6, 2003
Alternatively it will give the opportunity for the non season ticket holders to moan whinge bellyache and cry over the fact that loyal supporters like them are being priced out of the game, because £45 is too expensive to see us play Sunderland, first game of the season.

... and then that whinging will be drowned out by STHs complaining that they paid a pro-rata £20 (or whatever) to watch Rotherham on a Tuesday night and single-ticket supporters are only going to have to pay £10 (or whatever).

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
... and then that whinging will be drowned out by STHs complaining that they paid a pro-rata £20 (or whatever) to watch Rotherham on a Tuesday night and single-ticket supporters are only going to have to pay £10 (or whatever).

The system 'claims' that season tickets are priced variably also, so let's say that your Fulham ticket is priced at £18 worth of your season ticket and the Rotherham ticket £9, then a season ticket is still the cheapest way to buy a ticket.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Anyone moaning, whinging and bellyaching over the new ticket announcements needs their heads seeing to.

- ST prices FROZEN. I'm sure no one was expecting them to go down? Even if we have deflation nationally greedy players and agents don't seem to notice that.
- Travel subsidy EXTENDED. Effectively a reduction if you live in Eastbourne or Worthing.
- 18/21s category introduced. Something we've been crying out for here and on other sites and Albion media. Will help atmosphere.
- Dynamic pricing - entirely sensible as far as I can see it.

I've been a big critic of the club this season. I've honestly felt we've been fleeced for more and more money to watch lower and lower quality. The above goes a long way to redressing the balance and, personally, I think the two Paul Bs have played a blinder.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The system 'claims' that season tickets are priced variably also, so let's say that your Fulham ticket is priced at £18 worth of your season ticket and the Rotherham ticket £9, then a season ticket is still the cheapest way to buy a ticket.

But if we have a completely shit season next year, with horrible results and the gates plummeting, will there be season ticket refunds coming through during that season to reflect that non Sth can buy seats at £9?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It still amazes me that so many people think that "good" games are predictable. Footy can be wonderful or crap but you never know which it's going to be.

Brovion

Jul 6, 2003
But if we have a completely shit season next year, with horrible results and the gates plummeting, will there be season ticket refunds coming through during that season to reflect that non Sth can buy seats at £9?
I'm guessing that's a hypothetical question to which we all know the answer. Basically it's a gamble isn't it? In the scenario you've mentioned yes, STHs could well suffer financially. On the other hand if we have a really great season with sell-out crowds (especially towards the end) then you STHs will all be sitting pretty knowing that a) you've already got your tickets for the big games and b) you've got them really cheaply.

Brovion

Jul 6, 2003

... and further to my earlier answer I've just thought of a great money-spinner! If we DO have a good season then the club does the exact opposite of what you've suggested: They write to all the STHs and demand more money as the football is so much better than you thought it was going to be!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
Jun 27, 2012
M

Derby have a similar system (we switched to same ticket software as them last summer) whereby the price for match goes up the closer you get to match / if match almost sold out, likewise if weather bad and opposition not up to much the price for match ticket goes down

Ta [MENTION=300]ac gull[/MENTION] - good spot.

Here's the Derby system explained... "Demand Pricing"
Derby County operates demand based pricing for Home League matches, (it is not in place for Cup matches as prices are confirmed by the competition operators i.e. The Football League or The FA).
When tickets go on sale they are subject to price increases depending upon the demand for tickets for that match. Tickets are also subject to decrease in price but will not decrease below their starting price nor will they ever drop below the price a Season Ticket holder has paid, (subject to age related concessions). Adult, Senior and Junior priced tickets are all subject to change.

Prices can change on an hourly basis and could affect seating categories differently i.e. if seats in Category E are selling fast then the price in those areas is likely to increase, whereas prices in other seating categories that are not selling so fast might not increase, and in some cases prices in those areas might even decrease.

via http://www.wearederby.com/ticket-office/demand-based-ticketing/ (my bold above)

The prices "from" for next 5 Derby games are...

Birmingham "From £22" (most tickets are in the £30 range though)
Boro "From £19"
Watford "From £19.50"
Brentford "From £17.50"
Blackpool "From £17.50"
Reading "From £22.50"

NB: Not sure the Albion have announced this, and can't find it in the small print, although they PB In programme did say that they will announce 15/16 Match Day Ticketing prices "nearer the time"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here