Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Kevin Pietersen: Which counties want to help his England chances?

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/31690101

Kevin Pietersen's potential England return requires him to score heavily in county cricket this summer - but which counties, if any, are prepared to give him that opportunity?

The batsman, 34, had his international career ended by the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) in February 2014 but was given encouragement that he might be able to return to the team in future by incoming ECB chairman Colin Graves.
Graves said the selectors "can't ignore" Pietersen if he "scores a lot of runs" for a county, which would be the first step back towards resuming his international career.

Pietersen said he is "going to try to work this out for sure" while the ECB clarifed that "only players who are playing consistent high-quality county cricket and who are seen as a positive influence will be selected".

I'm no fan of Pietersen as a person, I think he's a bit of a loudmouth oaf, but as a player - certainly at county level - he still has a bit left in him. Come on Sussex, make a statement and sign him up. It'd be great to utilise his vast experience and make him a mentor for the younger lads, and anyone who knows cricket knows that he can turn a game wherever he goes. Even if they got a season or two out of him, and the money was right (admittedly a big IF), then it's a no brainer.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
I thought he was just a 'gun for hire' now and is just touring the world's T20 competitions. Pretty sure playing for England would affect the 'Brand KP' earning potential.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Well he will want to stay close to London so he can still go 'up west' therefore you are looking at six counties,Essex and Kent being second division forget them,can't see Middlesex being interested and Surrey let him go. Felt Hampshire were happy to see the back of him,so please no one at Hove get any ideas.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Some rotten sod at the BBC is stealing my ideas ! I mentioned this earlier today in another thread. Anyway, KP would want a huge salary and probably want to pick and choose his games, I can't see him playing too many 4 day games and the grind of domestic 20/20 cricket would be too much for his creaky knee and hamstrings.
Throw in the fact that he would not want to be too far away from the bright lights of London and that reduces the number of options too. If I was him I would go to the genteel backwaters of Kent but they can't afford him.

So I'm afraid KP will carry on doing his best work on Twitter and the whole circus will rumble on and on.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I heard the interview between Charles Colville and KP last night on Sky's "The Verdict". KP suggested that if the door with the selectors really WAS open then he'd be inclined to do what it takes to come back to the England fold, even if this meant him not playing IPL or Caribbean 20/20.

He stated clearly that it wasn't about money and that money wouldn't come into it. Given that Surrey have got their overseas players sorted contractually then I think it's more than likely he'll be playing county cricket for someone, and I think Sussex ticks a lot of boxes for him.

I was surprised to hear that he is so up for playing for England again, given that he's unlikely to better Alistair Cook's batting records. Maybe he fancies another crack at the Aussies and redeeming his tarnished reputation with the mother of all comebacks?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I heard the interview between Charles Colville and KP last night on Sky's "The Verdict". KP suggested that if the door with the selectors really WAS open then he'd be inclined to do what it takes to come back to the England fold, even if this meant him not playing IPL or Caribbean 20/20.

He stated clearly that it wasn't about money and that money wouldn't come into it. Given that Surrey have got their overseas players sorted contractually then I think it's more than likely he'll be playing county cricket for someone, and I think Sussex ticks a lot of boxes for him.

I was surprised to hear that he is so up for playing for England again, given that he's unlikely to better Alistair Cook's batting records. Maybe he fancies another crack at the Aussies and redeeming his tarnished reputation with the mother of all comebacks?

Sussex may 'tick all the boxes FOR HIM' but i don't give a fig about K/P he should have been thrown-out the very day he was found out texting the South Africans in a test match. Only one thing 'ticks' K/P boxes thats his ego.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Sussex may 'tick all the boxes FOR HIM' but i don't give a fig about K/P he should have been thrown-out the very day he was found out texting the South Africans in a test match. Only one thing 'ticks' K/P boxes thats his ego.

But think about it from a financial point of view - if, and as I say it is a very big if - his contract wasn't exorbitant, then the draw of having him playing for us even in the short form games would guarantee larger attendance figures. Use his ego to your advantage and you have, to a degree, a license to print money. It's not really a surprise that he was one of only two English players to pick up an IPL contract, and one of the larger ones at that. He's a name signing whichever way you look at it, and if used correctly could be a massive crowd puller - and could also if his head is in the right place, be advantageous in terms of player development. If he was made to feel special and had his ego stroked by asking to bring in young players, it could be mutually beneficial.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
But think about it from a financial point of view - if, and as I say it is a very big if - his contract wasn't exorbitant, then the draw of having him playing for us even in the short form games would guarantee larger attendance figures. Use his ego to your advantage and you have, to a degree, a license to print money. It's not really a surprise that he was one of only two English players to pick up an IPL contract, and one of the larger ones at that. He's a name signing whichever way you look at it, and if used correctly could be a massive crowd puller - and could also if his head is in the right place, be advantageous in terms of player development. If he was made to feel special and had his ego stroked by asking to bring in young players, it could be mutually beneficial.

Alot of 'if's' !! That says it all. Let's face it if he thinks he is that good why dont the likes of Durham,Lancashire,Nottinghamshire even Yorkshire come in for him ? Simple because even if they did it would be to far to travel and you want that type of ''person'' at Hove ? No way.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here