Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Premier League "B" Teams to compete in JPT ?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
According to the Wimbledon Supporters Trust, Football League clubs have voted to allow the Football League to finalise proposals to allow "B" Teams of Premier League clubs to compete in the Johnstones Paint Trophy.

http://thedonstrust.org/2015/02/23/february-dons-trust-board-meeting-summary/

There was also discussion about that day’s Football League (FL) meeting which was understood to have authorised the FL executive to finalise proposals to allow Premier League ‘B’ teams to enter the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy, with AFC Wimbledon being the only League Two club to vote against. It was agreed that Kris Stewart would talk with other trusts to help us decide whether this is something for the Dons Trust to follow up.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Pathetic. Premier league destroying football.

B teams will be playing in the lower leagues soon.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
B teams will be playing in the lower leagues soon.

That idea has already been floated and was very quickly shot down, mainly by the Football League clubs themselves, that said - why on earth would they all - with the exception of Wimbledon - approve this ?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
That idea has already been floated and was very quickly shot down, mainly by the Football League clubs themselves, that said - why on earth would they all - with the exception of Wimbledon - approve this ?

A home tie against Man United reserves ???

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Stock phrase. Do you have the mental capacity to develop the thought, or will you just leave it there?
A little harsh I think. Perhaps the thought was one of resignation, in which case further development was unnecessary.

So do you think the premier league is having a good effect on football?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

Look how the football league bowed down over funding for academies from the Premier league. All skewed to benefit the Premier league and you just know they are looking at ways to improve the Premier league.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
A little harsh I think. Perhaps the thought was one of resignation, in which case further development was unnecessary.

So do you think the premier league is having a good effect on football?

It was more a commentary on the amount of times s/he "dislikes" my posts because I post opinions and take positions, rather than settling nicely atop a popular fence like a coward, but I wouldn't expect you to be aware of the context.

"The Premier League" is not to blame for the state of football in this country, which is in pretty good condition. If you aren't factoring in little things like diving, player wages, ticket prices, club finances... Just the minor things which the FA have allowed to spiral out of control. The Premier League isn't responsible for football in this country because the FA allowed them to become their own separate entity, and it is the FA who need to accept full responsibility for everything perceived to be wrong with football in this country. I would rather than the bigger teams weren't able to monopolise the sport so much, but of course they can and will continue to. In my opinion, the best solution at this stage is to be realistic. Clubs aren't getting smaller, so give them more opportunity to get their hoarded masses of young players into competitive football without upsetting smaller clubs by taking up league spots.

I am in favour of Premier League B teams competing in League 1/2, and involving them in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy is a good first step.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Not that I agree with the idea but Spain & Germany have 'B' teams playing in league football, doesn't appear to do them any harm.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Pathetic. Premier league destroying football..

sounds like the Football League leading this.

really dont understand the motive behind this.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
In isolation it might work (although the thought of a young player who may have a top career denying a lower league player a day out at wembley would be hard to take), but you know it would be the slow process to b teams in the lower leagues, a idea which I'm very much against.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Not that I agree with the idea but Spain & Germany have 'B' teams playing in league football, doesn't appear to do them any harm.

Have you seen those leagues though ? They dont get the same sort of coverage or attendances as the Football League - it isnt comparable. Not to mention, you have the history and tradition side to the Football League.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
JPT games are poorly attended enough w/o potentially creating dead rubbers in the group stage. There's also the possibly that a Championship team could field a B-team in the competion if enough Cat 1 teams get relegated from the EPL.
Greg Dyke really is a dick.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

they dont have 72 professional clubs for those B teams to compete with. it might be a very good idea, but how does it work retrospectively with our current league structure?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
It was more a commentary on the amount of times s/he "dislikes" my posts because I post opinions and take positions, rather than settling nicely atop a popular fence like a coward, but I wouldn't expect you to be aware of the context.

"The Premier League" is not to blame for the state of football in this country, which is in pretty good condition. If you aren't factoring in little things like diving, player wages, ticket prices, club finances... Just the minor things which the FA have allowed to spiral out of control. The Premier League isn't responsible for football in this country because the FA allowed them to become their own separate entity, and it is the FA who need to accept full responsibility for everything perceived to be wrong with football in this country. I would rather than the bigger teams weren't able to monopolise the sport so much, but of course they can and will continue to. In my opinion, the best solution at this stage is to be realistic. Clubs aren't getting smaller, so give them more opportunity to get their hoarded masses of young players into competitive football without upsetting smaller clubs by taking up league spots.

I am in favour of Premier League B teams competing in League 1/2, and involving them in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy is a good first step.

Thumbs are there for a reason.It's part of the forum If you don't like it then you have a problem.. What you are doing is taking it onto a more personal level. If you think i'm a coward then try me.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Yay! It's everything I ever wanted and so much more. My interest in the JPT has just been rekindled. The thought of seeing us against the B teams of bonafide Premier League clubs like Swansea and Palace is a frankly mouthwatering prospect.

In related news, the JPT trophy is about the best looking trophy on offer in the English game - the Premier League trophy is just embarrassing, as is The League Cup, but the JPT design is genuinely iconic.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Thumbs are there for a reason.It's part of the forum If you don't like it then you have a problem.. What you are doing is taking it onto a more personal level. If you think i'm a coward then try me.

You still haven't shared a personal opinion, or is that not part of the forum?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Completely agree that the FA have to take their share of the fall with regards to the breakaway but I'd wager that the clubs leading the break were likely going to do it anyway, with or without the FA giving them the nod. With that in mind I think the FA took the only course of action available: Give the big 5 what they wanted and negotiate some cash for the rest of the leagues.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here