Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Doh. Can a mod change the title to bar/restaurant please.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I went for a meal with some work friends a couple of years ago.

Enjoyed it but we were the only people eating with people standing over us eating. At the time we wondered if it was a "proper" restaurant.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
and that's the problem. It is a pub, and that's not what their license is. Clowns. If they are asked to have last orders at 11.30 it's hardly the end of the world

ironic isnt it, when the nature of the establishment is apparently the root of the issue.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Food ? they serve food ?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
They only have themselves to blame unfortunately, they could and should have applied for a change in licensing conditions for their premises years ago. It is a nice bar but you have to be seen to be doing the right things, if you have seven years of operating contrary to your licence then yes the police will object. Had they applied to change their licence to a straight up pub with food, and had pointed to their exemplary record with incidents requiring police attendance. I am sure they would have been allowed to change it. However arguing it now, once they have got to this point is unlikely to be successful, as is this petition, the police do not really care if a bunch of people like the pub and don't want it closed down, that is not their concern.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
In addition they reall have not helped themselves with some of their statements in the Argus article.

'Director and supervisor Pauliina Talvensaari insisted Northern Lights was “food-led”', that is a lie anyone who has been in there knows that, why would they be open until 2am if they were a restaurant? Accusing the police of making 'false statements' is foolish too, a more conciliatory tone would have been sensible.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
These two statements irk me in their request for signatures...

'The main charge being levelled against Northern Lights is that of 'vertical drinking' and of not being 'food led,' apparently leading to the negation of the key licensing objectives.'

... which, in the statement asking people to sign, they don't dispute.

They face having their opening hours scaled back (which would surely only divert more people into the more problematic areas of the city, they won't just decide to stop going out)

... which is utter twaddle. Not going to the Northern Lights does not divert people into 'problematic areas of the city' How insulting for the vast majority of other pubs.

I've signed because I would want a business like this to be successful, but not on the back of that kind of nonsense. The licensing laws have to apply to everyone. Hopefully, they'll be given an opportunity to show that they can operate as per their license - assuming they haven't been told several times already.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
why would they be open until 2am if they were a restaurant.

I guess you don't live in Brighton? 1-2am is average for restaurant closage at weekends.

I have been to Northern Lights a couple of times for a quick shot of Fishu. Maybe they have been stupid not changing their licence, but on the other hand the Council let the big pockets at Inn Brighton turn whatever they like into a bar, eg the Triumph motorcycle showroom on North Street. The Bee's Mouth on Western Road is still legally (I think) a fricking art gallery. Ho hum.

Also odd to attack the Scandinavian community (for whom Northern Lights exists), why not attack the new Golden Mecca non-alcoholic 'bar' in East Hove? No, wait, that wouldn't fit in with the Green council's hatred of all white people (the Finns who run Northern Lights are pretty much the whitest people in Sussex) would it?

Or some similar made up bollocks.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I guess you don't live in Brighton? 1-2am is average for restaurant closage at weekends.

I have been to Northern Lights a couple of times for a quick shot of Fishu. Maybe they have been stupid not changing their licence, but on the other hand the Council let the big pockets at Inn Brighton turn whatever they like into a bar, eg the Triumph motorcycle showroom on North Street. The Bee's Mouth on Western Road is still legally (I think) a fricking art gallery. Ho hum.

Also odd to attack the Scandinavian community (for whom Northern Lights exists), why not attack the new Golden Mecca non-alcoholic 'bar' in East Hove? No, wait, that wouldn't fit in with the Green council's hatred of all white people (the Finns who run Northern Lights are pretty much the whitest people in Sussex) would it?

What a pile of nonsense.

One, - do you eat out in Brighton? Seemingly not. The average restaurant doesn't close at 1-2am at weekends; more like 11pm. Do you honestly think you'll get served in an 'average' restaurant in Brighton at midnight? Places listed as 'all-night' like Buddies or Market Diner, yes. Most other places - of course not.

Two, the Triumph Motorcycle place in North Road (not North Street) was previously a pub. Not that that point is relevant in any way. Any place can be turned into a bar with the appropriate licences. What's your point here?

Three, this isn't The Green Party, nor the city council making this complaint, this is the Police doing this.

Four, have you convinced yourself that this is specifically an attack on the Scandinavian community by.... someone? To what end?

You said it.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

Yes, I do live in Brighton. So I know full well you cannot get get a 'restaurant' meal anywhere past 11 o'clock. I also work in that trade (try checking my profile), as do you (unless I have got you confused with someone else). You should know how this stuff works, there are hoops you have to jump through to satisfy the police and licensing authorities, Northern Lights have not done so, and have not adhered to their licence for a period of seven years. What choice do the police have, under these circumstances?

Seriously? You think the Bee's Mouth has got away with selling alcohol for all these years under an art gallery exemption for preview shows? Wow, here is a link to their licence on the council website.

I am sad too that Brighton may lose one of its more interesting bars, but lets not dress this up as the Green parties fault, that is just silly.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I would like to see the Scandinavian community supported on this, the brighton Dutch community has never recovered from the loss of this building as their social and cultural hub.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I don't want to see it close at all. Who would? It's a good little bar which offers something a bit different.

But they're going against their licence terms. What did they expect? A petition isn't going to change that. THEY need to change.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I've always assumed it was a bar which served food (I've never eaten in there), so they've only got themselves to blame. It would be sad to see it close down though, purely because they have the best urinals in Brighton, what's not to enjoy about pissing a Subbuteo ball into a goal?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

The Green Party ate my hamster.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here