Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Going to New York

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
We're having a family holiday to New York in the summer. Just wondered in the opinion of NSCers, what are the 5 must see/must do things.

Any restaurant recommendations appreciated as well.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Ellen's Stardust Diner on Broadway near Times Square - 50s decor, singing waiters and waitresses.
Ellis Island
Macey's perfume floor
Just wander around
That's four, but New York is wonderful - just go and enjoy

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Staten Island Ferry (which is free)
Top of the rock (rockerfella centre)
Go see something at the theatre
Walk over Brooklyn bridge and into Brooklyn itself
Eat at as many amazing food places as possible

That was a quick 5 off the top of my head.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Go on the Brooklyn Bridge and The High Line.

Both are free and utterly amazing

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I can tell you what not to do. Don't queue to go up the Statue of Liberty (if you still can?) took me four hours and was like looking out through the glass in the toilets that used to be under the Clock Tower! :lolol::facepalm::lolol:

eg. Nothing to see here!!!

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Peter Luger for steaks.
Coney Island (Brighton Beach)

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
1) Top of the Rock at Rockefeller centre. Do this at dusk for brilliant view of NY inc the Empire State and Chrysler building. Altogether a much better experience than the Empire state
2) By all means get boat to Statue of Liberty but leave more time for the nearby Ellis Island which is fascinating
3) Get a bus pass for city hop on/ hop off service
4) Helicopter flight
5) The boat trip that basically goes round the whole of Manhattan island and under all the bridges

Take in a show on Broadway and too many great places to mention worth eating at.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Obviously, the High Line, Staten Island Ferry, Brooklyn Bridge, Top of the Rock...all mentioned already, all essential.

Get yourself down to Coney Island - brilliant beach, great rides for the kids, with no queues and much cheaper than any corporate theme park, a truly great day out.

Staying in Brooklyn, Williamsburg is fantastic - full of great bars and restaurants, markets and galleries - real bohemian atmosphere.

Jan 21, 2012
Just go anywhere and do anything in New York! It's such an amazing place it's hard not to love it there.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Would recommend the City Passes as well, good value.

Zoo in Central Park is another good one for kids, Ground Zero very peaceful.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
We're having a family holiday to New York in the summer. Just wondered in the opinion of NSCers, what are the 5 must see/must do things.

Any restaurant recommendations appreciated as well.

Aside from the attractions you need to consider a couple of things with regard to hotels. Unless you are paying top dollar don't be upset by how small most rooms are. Space comes at a premium in NY. If you have kids and are staying centrally make sure you book a high floor as the city remains pretty noisy all night. Returning to the attractions the kids will love the Bronx Zoo.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Pre-book Statue of Liberty we left it too late and could not go to the top. The city passes include Museum of Modern Art or MOMA as known locally which very good with a lot of Warhol work, tip if you have the City Passes go to the entrance and not queue to buy an entry ticket. Personally thought the Rockerfeller Tower was much better than the Empire State Building but my favourite attraction was the High Line, absolute gem of Urban regeneration.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Thanks Im going in May...good tips.... hotels seem damn expensive I know some hotels get bad press but when you read trip advisor some people will complain about literally anything.

Ignore Trip Advisor as the one we stayed in was in Queens and it was very pleasant and nothing like the drug invested murder zone portrayed on there.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Thanks Im going in May...good tips.... hotels seem damn expensive I know some hotels get bad press but when you read trip advisor some people will complain about literally anything.

Cheapest hotels I found was by booking through the American Airlines website. No idea why but they were miles cheaper than elsewhere (even for the same hotels).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here