Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England cricket

colonies man

Jul 30, 2011
Horrible today,but I did say after seeing England in Perth for the tri series that this might be the worst English cricket team we have seen down under.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I watched 25 overs and the overs 10 through to 25 were abject garbage. Some of the most impressive forward defensive shots seen on a cricket pitch but somewhat out of context in the limited over theatre.

Ballance-useless, surely Luke Wright would be a more dynamic option? The commentators were saying Alex Hales, I am not too sure?

Broad,Woakes,Finn!! Jeez ,having seen the highlights (oxymoron if ever there was one) I saw one ball that could be deemed respectable from their collective 26 overs or so!
Chris Jordan would have given a better performance than any of them!

No guarantee to win against both Afghanistan and Bangladesh so an early exit looks on the cards.

So pathetic I wonder why they bother? Sack the board!

TNBA

TTF

colonies man

Jul 30, 2011
Yes its hard to find anything positive to say. Afghanistan and Bangladesh will both feel that an upset is possible.I dread to think how I will be ridiculed at work if England lose to either of them.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Bowlers need to take a share of the blame, no swing movement and we can't take wickets or apply pressure. Time for a major shake up

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
To be fair they couldn't do much about Sangakkara but should have got the opener early on then it would have been a completely different game.

Means best case scenario quatres against India - but beaten them twice... Who knows!

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Batted well from overs 1 to 8, and then 30 to 50. Did not get enough runs through the middle overs, then bowled awfully. Team selection was also a disgrace, but that has been the case for a long time.

colonies man

Jul 30, 2011
We appear to think 300 is a winning score,however the 50 over game has moved on and the stronger sides are looking at scoring more.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I'd be quite glad to see us smashed by both Afghanistan and Bangladesh.

This. If we sneak past Bangladesh and Afghanistan it might paper over the cracks.

The batting is too conventional, one of Bell or Ali opening is fine but you need a proper dasher up top (Hales or Buttler). At three Taylor has played well this winter but gets dropped for Ballance at the start of this tournament, it was a completely nonsensical decision and undermined the plan they seemed to be making. Four Root, fair enough should be captain. Which leads us nicely on to the actual captain, Morgan, this winter he has scored 1, 17, 1, 62, 5, 0, 4, 121, 0, 2, 0, 0, 17, 46 and 27 averaging 20, which just isn't good enough. We have replaced one lame duck captain with another. Six Taylor, as above should be three, replaced in my opinion by Adil Rashid, or at least another dasher Hales or Buttler again.

The bowling is the same as the batting, no mystery, no variety. Broad 80-85mph right arm, Anderson 80-85mph right arm, Woakes 80-85mph right arm and Finn 80-85mph right arm. Spinners? As if we would do that, lets just muddle through with two young batsmen who bowl a bit. Rashid has to be in the side, as he spins it the other way. Even Bopara at least provides something different from the four clones. What about a left arm seamer? Finally bowl some yorkers you complete muppets, every other side bowl them constantly at the death. England think they are really clever bowling off pace bouncers, that worked at the T20 World Cup 5 years ago, everyone has worked that tactic out long ago.

Finally coaching, Moores has to go. Talking his own language, he has not provided a framework for his players to show their skills. They all look frightened and straight jacketed to rigid plans. Maybe with five fielders outside the ring we could go with test style plans but with only four out you have to get batsmen out more unconventionally.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
England are far too safe in the batting and a lack of players willing to take a risk, far too slow in the middle of the innings just taking 1's and 2's and no expansive shot play.

England's problem for a long time has been the lack of a quality slow bowler, Ali does a job but he is not a top slow bowler on a wicket like that the pace bowlers where just far too easy to hit and we bowl far to short, what ever happened to the good old Yorker, stick it on the toes and cramp the batsman for room.

I still think we have a good Test side but sadly lacking in ODI, take a risk and put in Stokes, Roy and Wright. Also it does help when your best bat in KP is sitting in a commentary box, that said he is a cock.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The worry is the toxic one day form affects the test form.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
To be fair they couldn't do much about Sangakkara but should have got the opener early on then it would have been a completely different game.

Means best case scenario quatres against India - but beaten them twice... Who knows!

Papering over the cracks if we get to the semis it will be a false position. AU, NZ, SA SL are all far better than us at limited overs cricket. Perhaps it might be better to not get to the quarter finals so we do have a re think.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
England posted a decent score and then played in a defensive manner to try and limit the Sri Lankans scoring.
We should have played an attacking game not a defensive one, Morgan is from the same mould as Cook.
I don't want Pietersen anywhere near the team so, I hope those rumours are scrapped.
Why can't we seem to find a proper leader, there must be one somewhere.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This result is not a surprise really though is it ? Better we get knocked out at this stage rather than taken apart by the Saffers or the convicts later. we have not learned how to play a 50 match either batting or bowling first. Praise to Joe Root for helping us post a total but other than that nothing to sing about anywhere.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here