Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

You're an adult, cross the road on your own.

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Having taken the kids to school and all crossed the road safely, with help from the lollipop lady.
You don't need more fudging help going back the other flunking way.

FFS you're a freakin adult, why the funk does the flipping traffic have to be held up again?

Sort your fookin lives out.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's a requirement that while the lollipop lady / man is on duty, that they control the crossing. Once they're time is up, and they've seen all children safely across the road, they can go home and you can cross whenever and wherever you like. Until that time, just learn to live with it - and wait for the lollipop person, to set an example to kids who may still be coming along.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Wouldnt happen in Germany haha
My flat in Frankfurt overlooked a pedestrian crossing. People would stand on the pavement whilst the lights were red, with no traffic coming, and torential rain pouring down, but wouldnt move until the lights turn green!....a little similer here, but not so rigid.

My flat in Frankfurt overlooked a pedestrian crossing. People would stand on the pavement whilst the lights were red, with no traffic coming, and torential rain pouring down, but wouldnt move until the lights turn green!....a little similer here, but not so rigid.

Same here. Very few people cross against a red light even if nothing is coming. The pace of life is slower here - everybody is in such a rush in UK!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Did they get fined if they jaywalked?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
May have been some small penalty I guess, but you saw people now and again, same as here, just go for it, including myself, and most other English people. They just seemed to take road safety more seriously. I doubt if theres any fine for it here, maybe the communist history has something to do with the waiting patiently.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
It's a requirement that while the lollipop lady / man is on duty, that they control the crossing. Once they're time is up, and they've seen all children safely across the road, they can go home and you can cross whenever and wherever you like. Until that time, just learn to live with it - and wait for the lollipop person, to set an example to kids who may still be coming along.

This. As an ex-lollipop man myself, you are effectively a pedestrian crossing, and the lollipop is the equivalent of a red light, up to and including three points on your licence for ignoring it.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This. As an ex-lollipop man myself, you are effectively a pedestrian crossing, and the lollipop is the equivalent of a red light, up to and including three points on your licence for ignoring it.
And that's great, on the way to school.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
And that's great, on the way to school.

My hours of employment were 8:15am to 9:15am and 3pm to 4pm (ish - it was a long time ago). Thus adults can still use the lollipop as a pedestrian crossing. Some of them even have pre-school age children with them.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It's probably to help people avoid all the idiot cyclists.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

I get some copper in Ziskov stopping me after nipping across the road before the lights had changed. He was trying to issue me with a ticket I think but I told him I had no money on me and he would have to come back to the hotel if he wanted it. Now it was all sounding dodgy at this point....... So he left it.......I think maybe he was after a bung.....are they like that over there Dave ?

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's probably to help people avoid all the idiot cyclists.
In fairness my local LPL lets me pass before holding up the road tax payers.

It's still blooming ridiculous to see a gaggle of adults standing there waiting to cross the road.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Having taken the kids to school and all crossed the road safely, with help from the lollipop lady.

FFS you're a freakin adult, why the funk does the flipping traffic have to be held up again?

Agreed. What next want the Lollipop to hold your hand ?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Agreed. What next want the Lollipop to hold your hand ?
No, just rush across the road when you feel like it, and hope that the younger pre-school kids going back home with their mums and dads follow your example and dash across the road themselves.
So, you save yourself thirty seconds. What are you going to do with them?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013

In case some nut job on a bike comes flying past!
[emoji125] [emoji468]

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
Same here. Very few people cross against a red light even if nothing is coming. The pace of life is slower here - everybody is in such a rush in UK!

Why bother standing around if there's no traffic on the road? That goes for pedestrian crossings and just crossing the road in general.

I wont cross on a red with kids around though...

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere

Hitler summed it up when talking about the overly long and ponderous plots by his generals to assassinate him. "German soldiers are incapable staging a successful revolt as it would mean walking across the grass"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here