Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Apple iWatch

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Big reveal looks likely to happen on the 9th March.

Anyone interested in this?

Unfortunately a 100% NO from me.

applewatcheventlive-800x463.jpg

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Am I right that you need to have your iphone on your person in order for the watch to work any of it's magic?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I trust [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] will be taking NSC down during the event so we can focus our attention in Apple's direction

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I'm 100% interested but it's all dependant on price; if it's priced around £150-£200 then I'll defintely get one, £200-£300 it's a maybe, over £300 then i'll pass.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
DEFINITELY interested. Why wouldn't you be interested in the greatest product launch since the iPad!?

The cheapest one is already confirmed to be at $350.

It's also been confirmed that you can use it without needing to have your phone with you for everything. E.g the running tracker won't need the iPhone to be with you to track your run or play music. You WILL of course need an iPhone for the rest of the time.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Depends on the battery life which will be short probably a day before charging and if the watch can be fully used without draining the battery on normal daily use, i.e will the screen showing the time have to be turned off. Could be a bit of a disaster for Apple. The gold model will be in the thousands of pounds region.
My interest is mechanical watches but this is a good looking watch I hope the battery life is better than many pundits are indicating.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
DEFINITELY interested. Why wouldn't you be interested in the greatest product launch since the iPad!?

Never been a fan of watches, never worn one and likely never will!
If I want to track my run I'll strap my phone to my arm and listen to music through the headphones at the same time.

If I need to check the time, I'll look at my phone.

I've got no doubt that this will take off immensely and put more Billions into Apple's pockets.
I'm just not fussed about owning one, although I am interested in seeing what they offer.

Call me a luddite but I just haven't quite worked out the point of smart watches. I'm normally all in for new tech but I just can't quite see the point. I almost backed the new Pebble Kickstarter earlier this week, but then thought - what is this actually going to do for me though? Yes there are situations where I can't be bothered to get my phone out of my pocket but is that really worth paying £100+ for?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

The cheapest one is already confirmed to be at $350.

It's also been confirmed that you can use it without needing to have your phone with you for everything. E.g the running tracker won't need the iPhone to be with you to track your run or play music. You WILL of course need an iPhone for the rest of the time.

None of that has been confirmed by Apple, unless I've missed something.

It sounds like they're struggling a bit, both with functionality, which in some cases has been pegged back, and battery life (the bane of modern life).

They're still expecting to sell 5-6m in the first quarter on sale, I believe, which is incredible.

The precious metal 'Edition' models are going to be interesting. Are people really going to pay thousands of pounds for a device that will be superseded next year? Or will the device's internals be swappable so buyers can keep the expensive bit and just swap in the electronics each time the device is refreshed?

I must admit I'm rather fancying the new Pebble Time - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/597507018/pebble-time-awesome-smartwatch-no-compromises

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Depends on the battery life which will be short probably a day before charging and if the watch can be fully used without draining the battery on normal daily use, i.e will the screen showing the time have to be turned off. Could be a bit of a disaster for Apple. The gold model will be in the thousands of pounds region.

It won't be a disaster. Here's my prediction for how it will play out.

- Early skepticism over features (what's it for? why do I need this)
- Huge sales on first weekend
- Mixed/Negative Reviews (no killer features, not enough apps, why do I need this)
- People told to wait it out. Likening this first product to first iPad/iPhone came out
- Strong sales continue
- SCANDAL (bendgate/antennagate equivilent)
- Samsung/LG release new watches, everyone says how shit the Apple Watch is in comparison
- Christmas everyone gets an Apple Watch
- Rumors of slimmer, better mk2 start to surface
- New category created
- Apple wins

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
None of that has been confirmed by Apple, unless I've missed something.

It sounds like they're struggling a bit, both with functionality, which in some cases has been pegged back, and battery life (the bane of modern life).

They're still expecting to sell 5-6m in the first quarter on sale, I believe, which is incredible.

The precious metal 'Edition' models are going to be interesting. Are people really going to pay thousands of pounds for a device that will be superseded next year? Or will the device's internals be swappable so buyers can keep the expensive bit and just swap in the electronics each time the device is refreshed?

I must admit I'm rather fancying the new Pebble Time - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/597507018/pebble-time-awesome-smartwatch-no-compromises

Yeah didn't someone say that in a conference call or something?

Edit: Yep: http://www.cnet.com/news/apple-watch-to-start-shipping-in-april/#ftag=YHF6738a5f

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
It won't be a disaster. Here's my prediction for how it will play out.

- Early skepticism over features (what's it for? why do I need this)
- Huge sales on first weekend
- Mixed/Negative Reviews (no killer features, not enough apps, why do I need this)
- People told to wait it out. Likening this first product to first iPad/iPhone came out
- Strong sales continue
- SCANDAL (bendgate/antennagate equivilent)
- Samsung/LG release new watches, everyone says how shit the Apple Watch is in comparison
- Christmas everyone gets an Apple Watch
- Rumors of slimmer, better mk2 start to surface
- New category created
- Apple wins
I'm a huge Apple fan but the real question is functionality. The product will be well made and be easy to operate but the elephant in the room is battery life. Battery technology has not caught up with the demands products are placing on them, the watch is small and will be tech packed hence the real concerns over how it will be able to operate on a daily basis and how many functions will need to be turned off to maintain battery life. I'll wait a few months to see what users say.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I'm a huge Apple fan but the real question is functionality. The product will be well made and be easy to operate but the elephant in the room is battery life. Battery technology has not caught up with the demands products are placing on them, the watch is small and will be tech packed hence the real concerns over how it will be able to operate on a daily basis and how many functions will need to be turned off to maintain battery life. I'll wait a few months to see what users say.

I think the general consensus will be that the battery life is WAY below what we need it to be. But whatever the battery life does end up being, you'll have to charge it every day for sure. The issue as I see it will be how much 'screen on' time Apple has accounted for in that day.

At first, people will be checking their watch more than their phones. It's a new shiny toy which has to be played with. That will result in reports of watches dying by 11am, raising questions of "how should we use this thing" etc.

It's such a new industry and nobody really has any idea where this is all going. But as long as it looks great, plays nice with iPhones and has great apps I think it will do very well.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
I will probably buy one, but the one thing I am mindful of is the fact that it won't be waterproof, I hardly ever take my watch off, I wear it in the shower and I wear it when I swim each day so it will be a real bane having to remember to take it off. With today's technology it's not that hard to have a waterproof watch is it ?
A small price to pay though, to have another apple product in my life.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I will probably buy one, but the one thing I am mindful of is the fact that it won't be waterproof, I hardly ever take my watch off, I wear it in the shower and I wear it when I swim each day so it will be a real bane having to remember to take it off. With today's technology it's not that hard to have a waterproof watch is it ?
A small price to pay though, to have another apple product in my life.

Did you see this news from this week?
http://appleinsider.com/articles/15...mproved-since-unveiling-can-be-worn-in-shower

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here