Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stewart Lee at the Dome tonight

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I do like him a bit though. Was a good RHLSTP recently with Richard and Stewart talking with about TWRNJ I was listening to at the weekend.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'd say out of all stand-up comedians he's probably the 41st best.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm going tomorrow. He's a genius that thinks he's a smug, arrogant, middle-class, 'trendy' prick. He thinks the same of his audience, too.

The best comedy is uncomfortable and (of those I know), Lee along with Bill Hicks and Chris Morris, achieve that.

You've just named three of my favourite comedians ever in one sentence there :thumbsup:

I had no idea he was playing Brighton tonight though :rant:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
In fact, to make up for it, I might spend the evening hiding in the back room and playing 'Rant in D Minor'

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I remember seeing Chris Morris at the Tunnel Club in Greenwich about 20 years ago. At that time he was notorious for lighting a firework, sticking it up his arse and running around the stage with sparklers showering out of his bottom!!! Very droll!!!

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Both.

Anyone who sees stand-up comedy as an artform and who takes its development as seriously as Stewart Lee does is going to risk coming across as pretentious, over-intellectual, smug and middle class. Luckily the character he has developed for his onstage self is all those things, and a lot of his audience, myself included, are also all those things. Luckily, he is also brilliantly funny, clever and original. Three things lacking from someone like Russell Kane, who has a similar onstage persona.

Lee sums up the dichotomy in his bit about not seeking laughs, but agreement:

"Did you see Stewart Lee?"
"Yeah"
"Was it funny?"
"No, but I agreed the f*** out of it."

Not only capturing his audience's relationship with someone who reflects their own values, but being funny in doing it.

For those who prefer him, Richard Herring's on at the Komedia next Thursday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here