Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Walking Football - Albion in the Community

Ba bungle

Pbrackers
Apr 8, 2010
Walking Football - Albion in the Community

Hi All,

I just wanted to let you know about our expanding Walking Football programme and some of the opportunities we have for people to come along and take part.

Walking football is growing as a popular sport amongst the over-50s, with AITC-run centres across Sussex. It is a slower paced, non-contact version of the traditional game designed for those who still want to play the sport and keep active. Games are played on small-sized pitches and players are not allowed to run or jog while the ball is in play.

AITC sessions are generally aimed at adults who are 50+ (although we have some which are 65+) and who have an interest in getting more active and getting the buzz of playing football back. We have had a real mix of ages and abilities within each session, with our oldest player topping 71 years you

We currently have 2 different levels of sessions available:

- Blue & White – These sessions are aimed at those who can comfortably walk for 30 minutes or more and are generally more active. The sessions focus on improving mobility, skill development and matches.
'Perfect for those who always loved playing football'

- Red & Black – These sessions are aimed at those who can walk comfortably for less than 10 minutes, are less active or have a health issue which may impair them (i.e. a heart condition or physical injury). The sessions focus on improving mobility, balance and flexibility using football practices.
‘Ideal for those who want to return to sport and activity at a more controlled pace’

We currently have sessions running in Worthing, Arun, Brighton and Haywards Heath, with more planned around the county starting soon.

Sessions are located at (all sessions are Blue and White unless stated):

Brighton - Portslade Leisure Centre – Friday – 12:30 – 1.30

We are currently looking at creating an evening session in Brighton, venue and times tbc but likely to be early evening (6-7 or 7-8pm ish) - more details soon!!

Worthing – Worthing Leisure Centre - Tuesday's 10-11, 11.30-12:30 - sessions are run in partnership with the leisure centre and local council

Worthing – Worthing Leisure Centre - Tuesdays 2-3pm (Red and Black session)

Arun - Bognor Regis - Age UK Laburnum Centre - Wednesday's 11.30-12:30 (Red and Black session)

Felpham – Felpham Leisure Centre - Thursday's - 6-7pm - sessions are run in partnership with the leisure centre

Mid Sussex - Haywards Heath - Tuesday's 5:30 – 6:30pm

Adur - Southwick – Southwick Leisure Centre- Tuesday's – 1-2pm

Lancing – Lancing Manor Leisure centre - Thursdays – 5-6pm - sessions are run in partnership with the local council

To find out more about our Walking Football programme, the nearest session to you or to book a place please contact;

West Sussex sessions - Paul Brackley on 07880 195515 or paul.brackley@albioninthecommunity.org.uk

Brighton & Hove / Mid Sussex sessions - Chris Day on 07468 726204 or chris.day@albioninthecommunity.org.uk

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    639.1 KB · Views: 539
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    768.3 KB · Views: 537
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    653.7 KB · Views: 524
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    761.6 KB · Views: 518
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 516

Ba bungle

Pbrackers
Apr 8, 2010
Looking at average age of the Bolton strike force today I thought they had put out their Walking Football side!

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
If anyone isn't sure about walking football do give it a try. I had to stop playing 5 a side when I was nearly 50 because of a dodgy Achilles. Never found any sport since that gave me the same buzz. But now 8 years after jacking it in I'm playing walking football every week and loving it!

Ba bungle

Pbrackers
Apr 8, 2010
Just a reminder we have a new session starting tomorrow in Felpham 6-7pm if anyone fancies trying Walking Football. The first 2 sessions are free (see flyer).

Hope to see you there

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Great idea, Da bungle and glad to hear AITC are doing stuff for the older fan.

On a related note, there's a fair amount of Senior Albion fans who, for various reasons like finance or not having anybody to go with, have not seen a match for year and I know some old Goldstone regulars. I think these guys & girls deserve an Amex day, possibly to see their last match ever. Loneliness is a big issue, especially among older men who don't like to ask for help or mix like the ladies do.

I did float the idea with Paul Barber some months ago, thought it was good but that's it. only a few more afternoon games this season, probably no money in it for Albion but what a goodwill gesture, what good publicity and what a potentially great day for some of our older fans.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
Just back from tonight's session at the Arun Leisure Centre. Very enjoyable. I can thoroughly recommend it to anyone thinking of having a go. Next session is Thursday 12th at 6p.m. -and it's free!

Ba bungle

Pbrackers
Apr 8, 2010
Just a quick update -

We have a new Walking Football session starting today (Tues 31st) at 5.30-6.30pm at Manor Field School, Burgess Hill. We are running it as an initial 12 week course costing £1 a session.

We also have 2 new Brighton sessions starting in the next few weeks:

Thursday's at Hove Park - starts Thursday 15th 6-7 (ish - depending on weather and light!) Outdoor session run on grass area in centre of the park. Sessions are £3 each with 1st week free.

Wednesday's at Stanley Deeson - Initial 6 week block of sessions from April 7th 6.30-7.30 with Tony running. Outdoor session. Sessions are £3 each with 1st week free.

We also have new sessions starting in Littlehampton and Southwick in April, more details to follow.

To book a place on to any of these please get in touch on:

West Sussex sessions - Paul Brackley on 07880 195515 or paul.brackley@Albioninthecommunity.org.uk

Brighton & Hove / Mid Sussex sessions - Chris Day on 07468 726204 or chris.day@albioninthecommunity.org.uk

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
I wish I was local, but will pass this info on. :thumbsup:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here