Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scouting Network - Australia

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Watching Melbourne City v Adelaide and thinking that with some money clearly washing around in that league the quality of football is improving and there are some talents worth looking at both in terms of journeymen with good experience and young players with potential.

Which makes it slightly surprising for me, especially given our owner's links down under, that we haven't dipped our toes in to this and other wider world markets.

We have had success in the past and know that players from Oz adapt well so does our current scouting network extend that far or are we limited, even parochial, in our outlook? Certainly looking at youngsters for the DS (Iceland aside) we seem to have limited spread in our recruitment which given the investment is maybe surprising.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
My suspicion is that by plucking players from the A-League and MLS, you won't get value. The reason being that those two leagues have to fight very hard for television and attendance dollars, and consequently have to be very well run in order to survive, never mind improve. Therefore, a) they'll know what their players are worth and b) they won't be forced to sell

On the other hand, we've had a few players from Spain in recent years though - where there is no attention paid to the health of the league, and where perhaps players get sold at knock down prices in order for some clubs just to survive.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Also remember signing players from Australia requires a work permit. Not all will be granted. Whilst if you scout within Europe work permits are not required. I'm sure we've had a look at some of the players, and there was rumour on here of signing a young midfielder from the A-League.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
My suspicion is that by plucking players from the A-League and MLS, you won't get value. The reason being that those two leagues have to fight very hard for television and attendance dollars, and consequently have to be very well run in order to survive, never mind improve. Therefore, a) they'll know what their players are worth and b) they won't be forced to sell

On the other hand, we've had a few players from Spain in recent years though - where there is no attention paid to the health of the league, and where perhaps players get sold at knock down prices in order for some clubs just to survive.

Well observed. :thumbsup:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Also although the standard is improving, it is still shockingly low in general. Perennial s**t journeyman Andy Keogh is one of the best players in the league, think that says it all.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Also although the standard is improving, it is still shockingly low in general. Perennial s**t journeyman Andy Keogh is one of the best players in the league, think that says it all.
I think you might be confusing Andy Keogh with Alessandro Del Piero. And the standard in MLS is markedly up on A-League standard. MLS is pretty much Championship level.

Crowds are massively up in both leagues. Melbourne and Sydney derbies both draw 40k+ sell-outs and I think the league is averaging about the same as rugby league's NRL. In MLS, crowds continue to flock to games. League average is 19,000, Seattle averages 43,000, and season ticket numbers alone across the 21 teams average around 10,000.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think you might be confusing Andy Keogh with Alessandro Del Piero. And the standard in MLS is markedly up on A-League standard. MLS is pretty much Championship level.

Crowds are massively up in both leagues. Melbourne and Sydney derbies both draw 40k+ sell-outs and I think the league is averaging about the same as rugby league's NRL. In MLS, crowds continue to flock to games. League average is 19,000, Seattle averages 43,000, and season ticket numbers alone across the 21 teams average around 10,000.
Seattle average 43,000, Sim. Not 'Seattle averages 43,000'. Less of your American nonsense here, thank you very much :thumbsup:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

Is that the Del Piero that plays for Delhi Dynamos in the ISL? Or is there another one that plays in the A League?

The thread is about the A League not the MLS. It is only you that is talking about the MLS, so not sure how that proves your point either?

You are correct that the crowds are up though, and very good for local derbies, especially in Sydney. They have mostly got the fan side of things correct in Australia, though Ticketmaster being the sole provider of tickets is complete BS for certain. What crowd size has to do with the quality of football, I do not know, surely as Brighton fans we should all be aware of that that...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Is that the Del Piero that plays for Delhi Dynamos in the ISL? Or is there another one that plays in the A League?

The thread is about the A League not the MLS. It is only you that is talking about the MLS, so not sure how that proves your point either?

You are correct that the crowds are up though, and very good for local derbies, especially in Sydney. They have mostly got the fan side of things correct in Australia, though Ticketmaster being the sole provider of tickets is complete BS for certain. Though what crowds have to do with the quality of football I do not know, surely as Brighton fans we should all know that...

Oh I didn't realise Del Piero had moved on. He had been at Sydney for 2 or 3 years until now. And yes, I widened the discussion to talk about MLS because they are another new world well-run league where soccerball isn't the top code and therefore aren't run by arrogant or incompetent twats. Just pointing out that we won't find value in leagues such as these.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Is it because Seattle is one of the MLS's most winningest teams, or just popularity of soccer in that city?
I see what you did there. :lolol:

I'm sure hans could care less what the reason is, but to be honest, that team ties too many games to be one of the winningest teams, even though their home field gives them an advantage.

:thumbsup:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Oh I didn't realise Del Piero had moved on. He had been at Sydney for 2 or 3 years until now. And yes, I widened the discussion to talk about MLS because they are another new world well-run league where soccerball isn't the top code and therefore aren't run by arrogant or incompetent twats. Just pointing out that we won't find value in leagues such as these.

Fair enough, agreed on the value of players from these leagues. BUT you replied to my post about the A League and it's quality with a know it all type comment about Del Piero, which was incorrect, then waffled on about the MLS. Seemed like an odd reply to me.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Fair enough, agreed on the value of players from these leagues. BUT you replied to my post about the A League and it's quality with a know it all type comment about Del Piero, which was incorrect, then waffled on about the MLS. Seemed like an odd reply to me.

Strangely confrontational post from you there. :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here