Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] What a knock, AB

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
AB de Villiers hits 162 off just 66 balls as SA score just under a 100 in last five overs (compare that to England who scored just over a hundred in the entire innings against NZ).

There have been some fantastic innings in this WC ... except from England, who seem to be playing a different game to all the other countries. Even Ireland and Afghanistan look more up for it than England do

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
AB de Villiers hits 162 off just 66 balls as SA score just under a 100 in last five overs (compare that to England who scored just over a hundred in the entire innings against NZ).

There have been some fantastic innings in this WC ... except from England, who seem to be playing a different game to all the other countries. Even Ireland and Afghanistan look more up for it than England do

We are rubbish at limited overs cricket.

But when we do win win, at least we celebrate with a degree of decorum! http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/cricket/31638468

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
"West Indies captain Jason Holder's last two overs went for 64 runs, with one over going for 34"

:lolol:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'm not a massive cricket fan so apologies if the answer to my question is obvious....but what's going on at the w.c? There are some huge scores being put up by individuals and teams. In my fairly lax following of one day cricket this seems a new development, I'm sure 200 or so was a perfectly serviceable score. Now if you drop under 300 you're in trouble. Whats happened to affect this change? Or has it always been thus?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'm not a massive cricket fan so apologies if the answer to my question is obvious....but what's going on at the w.c? There are some huge scores being put up by individuals and teams. In my fairly lax following of one day cricket this seems a new development, I'm sure 200 or so was a perfectly serviceable score. Now if you drop under 300 you're in trouble. Whats happened to affect this change? Or has it always been thus?

It's all to do with T20, players have got used to smashing a lot of runs very quickly so it has carried over to 50 over cricket.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
It's all to do with T20, players have got used to smashing a lot of runs very quickly so it has carried over to 50 over cricket.

Thanks. Your answer has led to more questions though(and, again, apologies if they're simpleton questions). What's the difference between one day and T20 then? If one day cricket is turning into a 50 over version of T20 whats the point of having both? If a team can score 408-5 in 50 overs like South Africa did today whats stopping them from doing the same in test cricket? Why aren't teams wracking up ridiculous scores when theres no limit to how many balls they can face?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Thanks. Your answer has led to more questions though(and, again, apologies if they're simpleton questions). What's the difference between one day and T20 then? If one day cricket is turning into a 50 over version of T20 whats the point of having both? If a team can score 408-5 in 50 overs like South Africa did today whats stopping them from doing the same in test cricket? Why aren't teams wracking up ridiculous scores when theres no limit to how many balls they can face?

I think 50 over cricket is now playing second fiddle to T20, although with these huge scores it is far more entertaining than it used to be. In the past (or present if you're England) the middle overs would be incredibly dull as the batting team just kept the runs ticking over not taking too many risks.

Test cricket is completely different, for a start you don't have the fielding restrictions so it's easier to slow the run-rate down. The pitches change over the course of a test match and it usually becomes more difficult to score runs. Bowlers have a bit more freedom and tend to try and tempt the batsman into playing shots rather than just going for quick wickets. It's very much a game of patience and concentration, although obviously there are occasions when a batsman will go for it, particularly at the end of innings when they've already got runs on the board.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
What's the difference between one day and T20 then? If one day cricket is turning into a 50 over version of T20 whats the point of having both?

T20 can be slotted into a post-work slot, 50 overs can't be.

If a team can score 408-5 in 50 overs like South Africa did today whats stopping them from doing the same in test cricket? Why aren't teams wracking up ridiculous scores when theres no limit to how many balls they can face?

That 408 was a bit of a fluke: WI lost the plot; a far normal score is something like 330/350. Firstly, 350 or even 400 would probably not win test matches: secondly, there are many more restrictions in test cricket: more bouncers, more legside balls, more bowler-friendly wickets and no restriction on bowler spells

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
T20 can be slotted into a post-work slot, 50 overs can't be.

That 408 was a bit of a fluke: WI lost the plot; a far normal score is something like 330/350. Firstly, 350 or even 400 would probably not win test matches: secondly, there are many more restrictions in test cricket: more bouncers, more legside balls, more bowler-friendly wickets and no restriction on bowler spells

I think 50 over cricket is now playing second fiddle to T20, although with these huge scores it is far more entertaining than it used to be. In the past (or present if you're England) the middle overs would be incredibly dull as the batting team just kept the runs ticking over not taking too many risks.

Test cricket is completely different, for a start you don't have the fielding restrictions so it's easier to slow the run-rate down. The pitches change over the course of a test match and it usually becomes more difficult to score runs. Bowlers have a bit more freedom and tend to try and tempt the batsman into playing shots rather than just going for quick wickets. It's very much a game of patience and concentration, although obviously there are occasions when a batsman will go for it, particularly at the end of innings when they've already got runs on the board.

Thanks guys, no more Cricket 101 questions from me.:thumbsup:.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Just to add I am fairly certain there are more fielding restrictions in the 50 Over format these days than there used to be.

Hence higher scores because the powers that be have decided only runfests can possibly be entertaining games.

I mean when Sussex won the C&G Final in 2006 it was terribly boring because of the low scores involved.......

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Just to add I am fairly certain there are more fielding restrictions in the 50 Over format these days than there used to be.

Hence higher scores because the powers that be have decided only runfests can possibly be entertaining games.

I mean when Sussex won the C&G Final in 2006 it was terribly boring because of the low scores involved.......

i know nothing of that game, but do i detect a hint of irony in that last sentence?

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

A combination of the most inept bowling you ever did see (how he can move to a foot outside the off stump before the ball is bowled and still get fed wide half volleys is beyond me)- but also some of the most exciting pull shots I've ever seen a batsman play,

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here