Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What version of Sussex by the Sea do you prefer.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
None of those the best version is by either the Band of The Royal Marines or the Massed Band of the Brigade of Guards but the version by The Grenadier Guards is also very commendable.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
We're going up to win the cup! We are a football club not a military institution.

Bad Manners otherwise.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
None of those the best version is by either the Band of The Royal Marines or the Massed Band of the Brigade of Guards but the version by The Grenadier Guards is also very commendable.

Hi BG, if you had ever heard SBTS played by Battle Town Brass Band, over & over again, you would enjoy listening to any other version.
Its up there with nails down a blackboard :lolol:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
What is the Bad Manners connection with GOSBTS? I thought Buster was from Kent, Margate I think.

Invicta

Nov 1, 2013
Kent
No 4 - get him on the pitch at about 2pm and he should be done for 3pm KO !!

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
First one is the best, for me, and while I'm not a military man, the emotion expressed about fighting men far from home who aren't sure if they'll ever get home again (and want you to tell people, if you ever visit Sussex, that they stood and fell for their home county) is hard to beat.

Sad as it is, the first one made the hair on my arms stand up.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The 14/20 Lancashire Hussars version is a tidy rendition.

[YT]wJDgJDQ90NE[/yt]

Sounds to me like they sing "you can tell them all, that we've done f**k all, for Sussex by the sea" as the last lines. Is this the Kemy Remix?

Jul 7, 2003
Anyone have a link to the modern version they used to play at Woodside Road a few years ago?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
Aug 8, 2005
Some of the proper words of later verses are just magnificent aren't they.

Shame we can't sing more if it.

I particularly like the third verse:

Sometimes your feet are weary, Sometimes the way is long,
Sometimes the day is dreary, Sometimes the world goes wrong;
But if you let your voices ring, Your care will fly away,
So we'll sing a song as we march along,
Of Sussex by the sea.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
In Aussie Rules every team has its own pretty cheesy theme song. At the end of the match the anthem of the winning team is played - everyone sings along with scarf twirling from what I can remember. We ought to do this after a victory at the Amex with the Air Force Band version - admittedly not many people will be left to sing along, but it would cap the match nicely. Here's the anthem for Hawthorn, THE Aussie Rules team of the moment (think Liverpool under Shankly with added Man U under Ferguson - they are that good).....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2pumIAeS0c&spfreload=10

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here