Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

UK net migration rises to 298,000

0 Not allowed!
    Net migration to the UK has risen to 298,000, according to the final set of quarterly figures before the general election.

The figure, for the year ending September 2014, is now well above the level of migration when David Cameron came to power in 2010.

The Conservatives had hoped to get it to below 100,000 by this May.

Net migration peaked at 320,000 in the year to June 2005. At the time of the 2010 election it was 252,000.

The Conservatives have previously blamed a rise in migration from within the EU for missing their target.

But experts at Oxford University's Migration Observatory said net migration from outside the EU has never been less than 100,000 at any time over the course of this parliament, meaning the target would have been missed with or without any rise in EU migration.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by TomandJerry View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Net migration to the UK has risen to 298,000, according to the final set of quarterly figures before the general election.

The figure, for the year ending September 2014, is now well above the level of migration when David Cameron came to power in 2010.

The Conservatives had hoped to get it to below 100,000 by this May.

Net migration peaked at 320,000 in the year to June 2005. At the time of the 2010 election it was 252,000.

The Conservatives have previously blamed a rise in migration from within the EU for missing their target.

But experts at Oxford University's Migration Observatory said net migration from outside the EU has never been less than 100,000 at any time over the course of this parliament, meaning the target would have been missed with or without any rise in EU migration.
      Well, we must do with Dave asked us to do 5 years ago then, and vote them out.

0 Not allowed!
      It just goes to show.......... something.
      "In football, everything is complicated by the presence of the opposing team". Jean-Paul Sartre.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by mikeyjh View Post
      Well, we must do with Dave asked us to do 5 years ago then, and vote them out.
      This could been seen as an advantage for UKIP
      Members

4 Not allowed!
      Who going to pick the fruit and veg and wash the cars oh and the Doctors and nurses and care assistants.
      I think if Europe was not in recession we would not have had as many educated Europeans. But I think we should have a points system for outside Europe. On the other hand we need to help other country's to develope so we don't have floods of refugees trying for a better life. Just putting the barb wire up is not the solution.
      THOSE IN GLASS PALACES SHOULD NOT THROW BRICKS
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Jesus thats one million every three years...Does any one support this?....Could we just shut the door ?
      Members
      somewhere between Worcestershire, Somerset or Amsterdam

0 Not allowed!
      I am sure that my mate CallMeDave being an honourable man will stand by his promise in 2010 and use his next tv broadcast to instruct the electorate to vote him and his government out of office. After all honour is honour and a promise is a promise
      1959/60 - 2018/19
      60 seasons following the Albion

2 Not allowed!
      Another Cameron promise in tatters, still only a few more weeks and this discredited shambles of a government will be history
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Birdman View Post
      Who going to pick the fruit and veg and wash the cars oh and the Doctors and nurses and care assistants.
      I think if Europe was not in recession we would not have had as many educated Europeans. But I think we should have a points system for outside Europe. On the other hand we need to help other country's to develope so we don't have floods of refugees trying for a better life. Just putting the barb wire up is not the solution.
      I was thinking the people that used to do it before immigration, never saw a closed sign on any of those Industries, all were functioning quite well as I recall .......

2 Not allowed!
      It is impossible for a leader to "promise" a figure on net migration because there is free movement of labour in the EU. Even if Cameron DID have the tightest controls the EU would permit if other European economies collapsed then there would be little he could do to stem the flow of people in, rendering a target meaningless. Anyone who knows about the EU will realise this.

All he can do is man border control points adequately, budget adequately for border control data collection so we know who's coming in / going out, and reform the benefits system so that those immigrants seeking purely to live off our state are unable to do so.

The evidence suggests that we need economic migrants and that those coming here to work hard and get on in life are making a net contribution to the well-being of our society.

With the General Election fast approaching I hope the leaders this time will differentiate between aims/aspirations and unrealistic promises. They're all guilty of committing to policies they have no hope of deliver, yet still get suckered into it, resulting in short-term gain, long-term pain.
      "Unlawful, void and of no effect"