Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The last music should be Sussex by the Sea

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Sorry if I'm going over old ground here, but I really feel the last music before KO should be Sussex by the Sea. It's bad enough that they have to break for the hand-shaking thing but having "ring of fire" after SBTS just seems wrong.

I'm not a fan of the latter anyway, but whatever floats your boat.

(sorry to moan, had a CRACKING night last night):thumbsup:

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Sorry, disagree - I think the current set up works really well. Ring of Fire seems to engage the whole crowd although I suspect the novelty will wear off at some point.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Sorry, disagree - I think the current set up works really well. Ring of Fire seems to engage the whole crowd although I suspect the novelty will wear off at some point.

Spot on DD. And as a great fan and active joiner-in and supporter of SBTS I am not convinced about playing it again before the 2nd half. perhaps a short and upbeat modern arrangement would be better?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Spot on DD. And as a great fan and active joiner-in and supporter of SBTS I am not convinced about playing it again before the 2nd half. perhaps a short and upbeat modern arrangement would be better?
Definitely this. Avoidance of anything half-baked should be the aim and completely achievable. One proper mass singing of SBTS as the teams walk out at the start. Then a brief blast of a different version to herald the second half.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
If SBTS could be sung properly long and loud I would agree but I like the ring of fire remix stoking up the fans right up to ko

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
What would be good is a new version of GOSBTS that would get the place rocking, a remix if you like. It'll never happen though, because of the traditionalists (and the fact that the Attila version was a little bit pony). Even if it was musically brilliant, people would find fault with it because it's not the original.

Sadly, the beauty that is the original GOSBTS doesn't appeal to a younger generation, in the same way Johnny Cash doesn't but that remix does.

As above says, the novelty of ROF will wear off pretty quickly, so enjoy it while it gets the crowd going.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
I'm not a fan of music being played before the game other than SBTS. I would rather they left the crowd to make it's own noise.

Feb 14, 2010
The worst thing about football and all sport now is that everything is an overkill. You used to go, have a chat before the game, the players would run out and we would all hum along to Sussex by the Sea and then sing the "going up to win the cup" verse a few times. Sing Albion or seagulls properly before kick off and songs at the opposition fans. An atmosphere would build normally and you could have a chat with friends before kick off. Now there has to be some attention seeking DJ trying to create something artificial. The higher you go the worse it gets as well. I once was at Anfield and some bloke was on the microphone singing walk alone as a load of silly scousers waved their scarves around. It was as fake and cheesy as anything you get in America. It seems to be expected now and you see the thread about having original words on the screen at the AMEX about sums it up. Why does everything have to be load, out there, in your face these days? We are English for goodness sake.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think people should TAKE THEIR SEATS after "Hey Jude". So put it on early or scrap it entirely! Hey Jude that is.

Green Man

Dec 22, 2014
BN2
I'm not a fan of music being played before the game other than SBTS. I would rather they left the crowd to make it's own noise.
Tend to agree, Ring of Fire was okay when it was a bit spontaneous - tag it on to the fanzone thing if you must, but right before kickoff, I find it pretty embarrassing. Tinpot even.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

Agree. However, the club did try this for a long time and even left a pause for singing before SBTS. Sadly, it just didn't work. The vast majority of modern football fans either just stand around chatting, stay out the back drinking or stuff their faces right up to kick-off (and beyond in quite a lot of cases).

I much prefer ROF for now. At least there's some semblance of an atmosphere even if it's rather contrived.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
The new 'remixed' version of ring of fire is a little cringeworthy.

I disagree... I think it hits the nail on the head and is inclusive and fun - we have kids and pensioners all joining in around us. It's not too long, everyone can join in the words 'der der der de der de de derr', and from WSU it looks good too. :ascarf:

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I disagree... I think it hits the nail on the head and is inclusive and fun - we have kids and pensioners all joining in around us. It's not too long, everyone can join in the words 'der der der de der de de derr', and from WSU it looks good too. :ascarf:

Very much agree. Nice and simple, loud and gets even some of the quieter fans up for the game.

Quaid

Nov 6, 2011
I do think the music at the Amex is a big shit.

Imagine some big hitters, Kashmir, It's My Life, For Those about to Rock etc

Instead, we're lucky if we get Royal Blood in amongst the pop
True, true

The moonchild intro from Maiden could also serve a purpose. Maybe for evening games!

Still have a place in my heart following the playoff win for Quo after victories swap out fatboy for rockin all over the world. Good for the remaining few to sing along to 😉

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here