Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Low crowds last night in Championship

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Apart from top of the table Derby (28K) no-one else got what we would think of as even a half-decent crowd...

None of the promotion chasers could get more than 17K - M'boro 16K, Ipswich 17K, Watford 13K, Brentford 8K, Wolves 17K.
Two mid-table teams were at home - Blackburn 13K and Huddersfield 10K
Two down the bottom - Millwall 8K and Wigan 10K

Allowing for a further fall from peak STHs is our "c.20K at the bottom, c.25K in the middle and c.30K at the top" in the Championship really going to be solid for the foreseeable future....?

It is amazingly good.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Surprised at Middlesbrough (well, a bit). Their stadium's been mostly empty for ages, but they do a lot of decent pricing deals, and you'd have thought that more than 16,000 would have made the effort given the run they've been on this season and their good chance of promotion.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
For most (all?) of the teams it was a second home game in four days which will always be a hard sell for game-by-game supporters

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Surprised at Middlesbrough (well, a bit). Their stadium's been mostly empty for ages, but they do a lot of decent pricing deals, and you'd have thought that more than 16,000 would have made the effort given the run they've been on this season and their good chance of promotion.

Sub 140k population in the city itself (compared to our 270k for Brighton/Hove)

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Burnley 73,000

Eastbourne 99,000

some of the stats for population in the UK are quite surprising

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Depends how many were actually there last night, certainly no where near what was announced

That will be the same with the other clubs announced attendance though, so you are judging like with like in that respect. I thought around 20,000 in the ground last night, it seemed to fill a little after around 15 minutes or so.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
yeah,it's true Middlesbrough is alot smaller than people imagine and nowhere near the catchment area for support Brighton has

True. Wasn't meant as a dig. I just thought people might have latched on to Karaoke's team a bit quicker than they have. I guess any team which has lost support due to poor form has to work hard to get it back.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
That will be the same with the other clubs announced attendance though, so you are judging like with like in that respect. I thought around 20,000 in the ground last night, it seemed to fill a little after around 15 minutes or so.
Agreed - comparing announced attendances. Other clubs have so few STHs compared to us. What will ours be next year?

There were traffic problems and many late arrivals. Attendance was 21,000 minimum, possibly 22K+ more than 2/3 full overall... WSU and Leeds blocks being 90% full making up for some other areas...

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
the Wolves gates are interesting

Rotherham 20,300
Fulham 17,700
Brighton 22,800

I think we'd be seen as a more actractive game than Rotherham in the eyes of Wolves fans,not so sure about Fulham though

also considering we played up there the last Saturday before Christmas too and were in the bottom 3 at the time,it's a very respectable gate

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Agreed - comparing announced attendances. Other clubs have so few STHs compared to us. What will ours be next year?

There were traffic problems and many late arrivals. Attendance was 21,000 minimum, possibly 22K+ more than 2/3 full overall... WSU and Leeds blocks being 90% full making up for some other areas...

I'd say you're probably right. The traffic contributed hugely towards a lot of empty seats at the start, but the eventual bums on seats, combined with an untypically healthy away attendance pushed it up to far more respectable levels than the season's nadir (Millwall & one other game). 14,000? No chance.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
For most (all?) of the teams it was a second home game in four days which will always be a hard sell for game-by-game supporters

...and City vs barcelona on the telly which would put off the casual fan

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Sub 140k population in the city itself (compared to our 270k for Brighton/Hove)
Not to mention that Middlesbrough is a pretty low-income area, with high unemployment. Besides, it's not the Boro fans' fault that Steve Gibson bought them such an oversized stadium.

Too easy to sneer at clubs like Boro and Burnley when, all things considered, they do pretty well for loyal core crowds.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I don't think it was anywhere near that low. That would mean less than half seats occupied and there were certainly more bums on seats than empty seats. I would guess about 23000. Maybe I'm an optimist!

I'd say you're probably right. The traffic contributed hugely towards a lot of empty seats at the start, but the eventual bums on seats, combined with an untypically healthy away attendance pushed it up to far more respectable levels than the season's nadir (Millwall & one other game). 14,000? No chance.
I'm amazed what some people see. The East stand looked well over half empty and the north stand half empty. Admittedly I couldn't see the west as I was in it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here