Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

In praise of Joe Bennett

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've been a fan almost from the beginning with his willingness to get forward whenever he can.

Last night he showed some more of his amazing speed-of-foot trickery that can get him out of tight spots (or get us into a tight spot if he f*cks it up). I would be very happy if he was someone we could secure for the long-term and finally put to rest our rent-a-loanee left-back spot.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I've been a fan almost from the beginning with his willingness to get forward whenever he can.

Last night he showed some more of his amazing speed-of-foot trickery that can get him out of tight spots (or get us into a tight spot if he f*cks it up). I would be very happy if he was someone we could secure for the long-term and finally put to rest our rent-a-loanee left-back spot.

Shame he can't defend for toffee.

I think he is brilliant going forward I really do, but defensively I do worry, Him and Dunk dont seem to have really clicked which may be part of the problem. However I wouldnt be totally gutted if we signed him.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No way. How many goals have we conceded down our left this season? It's 542 isn't it? Another :fishing: trip to get the page views up?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Completely the opposite I'm afraid, very pretty going forward but defensively a liability. Constantly ball watches, susceptible to a ball on his inside, naive in the extreme when we have a winger cornered and generally poor.

Good going forward and a midfield player for me.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
IMHO the most improved player under CH and has defended well in the most recent games. Under SH he was forward all the time and neglected his defensive duties, possibly under orders, but under CH has defended well and got forward a great transformation of a player but will Sherwood want to have a look at him.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Sign him up.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Shame he can't defend for toffee.

I think he is brilliant going forward I really do, but defensively I do worry, Him and Dunk dont seem to have really clicked which may be part of the problem. However I wouldnt be totally gutted if we signed him.

This.... couple of times last night he just wandered back into our half as the ball flew over his head - no sense of urgency at all!

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I'd like him to tighten up defensively (that said, Bruno is exactly the same), but he has some lovely skills on occasion, and is clearly desperate to get forward, now we have a formation again which allows him to do so.

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
I think he has all the attributes but is still young and CH is the right man to help him grow into an accomplished attacking left back. I'd say keep him.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Was well dodgy when he first came here. In fairness, so was most of the team. He's improving with experience for sure. He'll never be world class but he can certainly do a half decent job at this level.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
He's not good enough defensively if we want to be challenging for the top 6 next season.

mattislost

Dec 12, 2011
i'm a big fan of Bennett. I also think he would be a great winger. He has probably been our best attacking player this season overall

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Thing is, when a player like Kayal turns up you realise how lacking some of the other signings are. Joe Bennett is OK. But he's not a patch on the ageing Wayne Bridge when he turned up and is nowhere near as solid or dynamic or physical as Stephen Ward was. If TB wants to get Albion to the PL then the sights need to be adjusted on player recruitment.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here