Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Bruno/Calderon double act

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Would it be fair to say that both players play better with each other on the pitch? I think so, I didn't manage to get to the game last night (listened in on the radio) but have seen a fair bit of the new Bruno/Calde pairing and their awareness of each other's movement is extremely good and when Bruno gets his passing game together they can be devastating. It also means that Calderon doesn't have to track back so much and lets face it, he doesn't have the likes of Bennett or Wayne Bridge's pace so can get caught and with Bruno in a more disciplined role than the freedom of the park that Sami gave him he's less likely to go wandering.

It just looks a much better fit for both of them.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I remember thinking a while ago (and probably posted it somewhere on NSC) that we could do a lot worse than just telling Bruno and Calde to run the right side between them and get on with it. Not really a promotion level combination, but with what we've got at the moment it's a good option.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
They have a great understanding of each others games. I've said before I think Calde is still a valuable asset IF played further forward however in my opinion he no longer cuts the mustard at RB.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Yes this seemed clear against Bolton in August when they both looked outstanding and they fitted straight back into that role since CH has asked them to do the Job.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
It is no coincidence that some of our best games under Sami (right at the start of the season) was played with Calde at RB and Bruno in the holding role.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Bruno is an automatic at right back for me, but he has not been so good in the last two games. He needs to get back to his normal play to keep getting a place in the team.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think the plan should be to give Calde a new contract and a 5-year one for Teixeira, then get him to take young Joao out on the town on a Hispanic night of vice and wonder. 2am Pussycat Club pen out, job done.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Their first touches are crazily good. There can't be many teams in this division whose fullbacks have better ball control

Dec 29, 2011
A new right back should be priority for the summer. Spend a good sum on a young right back who can play at this level who also has potential to play in the premier league in the future (a Cook type pLayer)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As fleetingly good as Bruno has looked in midfield, I think the pairing works much better this way round.

I know it's counterintuitive when saying this about Bruno, but I think he needs the discipline of being a 'buck stops here' defender.
In midfield it's a bit to, should that be, even more?, showboaty.

While the lad Cauldron seems to have a bit of drive and commitment about him, ideal for covering the ground.
I hope we can keep him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here