Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris O'Grady's Cameo last night

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Word up.

Sure he was playing against a defence that had been run ragged.
But nevertheless he's no 'big fella to lump the ball up too'.

In what time he had, he was still able to show a great touch and close control, the perfect foil to bring on in that situation.

I'm sure the defenders were thinking 'thank god CMS has gone', only to get another different lesson from CoG.

If we were managed properly, he should have scored a hatful this season, just playing the last 20 minutes.

Spot the man still buzzing from last night.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
I loved that 'O'Grady spin' he did in the last few minutes. Barnsley fans told us about that.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I loved that 'O'Grady spin' he did in the last few minutes. Barnsley fans told us about that.

The one where everyone, including the defence, assumed he was going to turn back away from goal and look to shoot/pass but turned towards the goal instead?

It was genius. He's not the quickest but he generated a good yard of space from sending the defender the wrong way, and it should have been our 4th, 5th or 6th goal.

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
Brilliant at holding the ball up, i would definitely like to see him stay next season.

Best will be off and I'd like to Ship out Cms.

Bring in a top class striker for the this division and I'd be happy to go into the season with a striking trio of Baldock, O'grady and the new striker.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Cameo-band-picture.jpg

He's moonlighting ? ???

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The one where everyone, including the defence, assumed he was going to turn back away from goal and look to shoot/pass but turned towards the goal instead?

It was genius. He's not the quickest but he generated a good yard of space from sending the defender the wrong way, and it should have been our 4th, 5th or 6th goal.

Yes, yes that one. What a mesmerising piece of flair :clap:

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
It must be down to his yoga routine but for a big guy he is so flexible, he can wriggle like an eel away from trouble.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
For me it isn't even that he should be scoring a hatful. It's that he brings everyone else into the game. He gives Tex someone to play off of, he runs the channels and gives Caldie and Baldock room to come inside. The ball actually sticks to him unlike CMS meaning that we can play higher up the pitch as well. Honestly, he has massive flaws insofar as he'll never score bucketloads in this division and he lacks pace but he is by far the best option we have in the current set up and I don't get why he isn't our go to man up front at the moment.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Hes off in the Summer I am convinced of it

He wants to play and be up North, he wont get either here

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I cannot believe Hughton has played Leon Best over him. There was no need to leave O'Grady out of the picture, he has proved he is worthy of a place over Best.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
For me it isn't even that he should be scoring a hatful. It's that he brings everyone else into the game. He gives Tex someone to play off of, he runs the channels and gives Caldie and Baldock room to come inside. The ball actually sticks to him unlike CMS meaning that we can play higher up the pitch as well. Honestly, he has massive flaws insofar as he'll never score bucketloads in this division and he lacks pace but he is by far the best option we have in the current set up and I don't get why he isn't our go to man up front at the moment.

His problem is he doesnt run the channels as CMS showed how to last night. He is generally too immobile but last night he did exactly the job required of him came on and held up a tiring defence to stop them getting forward and at us.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
His problem is he doesnt run the channels as CMS showed how to last night. He is generally too immobile but last night he did exactly the job required of him came on and held up a tiring defence to stop them getting forward and at us.

You can really spout some utter bollox. Brought on to stop their defence getting forward, running channels?

Why don't you take your digs at COG on the Pro Best/CMS threads rather than making daft comments on one that is (rightfully) recognising his contribution?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I love COG, unfairly singled out by the boo boys and moaners on here, he's knuckled down and turned it around and it becoming something of a cult hero for the club. The new Colin Hawkins for me.

:bowdown:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Rugrat

Can you not read or do you not understand football? CMS had run the channels all evening and stretched the Leeds defence all over the place the obvious answer take him off and leave a big man up front as another outlet that they had to keep players back to watch so could not get forward from the long punts of their keeper as Stockdale just hit it back for COG. to keep hold of. That is why he was sent on and that is exactly what he did as per the managers instructions. Mission accomplished he helped kill the game and keep our 3 points. Well done to him for doing his job properly.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
COG has an uncanny first touch and can control any ball that comes his way - whereas Best can control it further than some people can kick it.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

The issue was our team weren't expecting it either!

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

In fairness I've been travelling so I've not been to many games this year but in all of the games I've seen him in, he really has run the channels. He doesn't do it in the headless chicken type of way that CMS does and he is neither as relentless in his running nor as mobile or quick, but his actual movement into wider areas is often very useful (and arguably more intelligent than CMS) to the sides as it allows more direct balls into him that the likes of Baldock and Calderon can play off.

CMS offers pace in the channels which is useful (and was for the first goal last night) but too often he neither brings other players into the game nor does he have the skill in those areas to fashion chances for himself so whilst it disrupts the opposition I don't think it often improves the team overall which was the point of my original post.

Basically both do run the channels but in different ways and with different results (and with different consequences on the players around them). It is just a personal preference that I would have COG in ahead of CMS in that role because I think it suits the players around him more. But I guess because of both having different characteristics, both will be used in different scenarios against different teams.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here