Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cardiff board to boycott Wigan match

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Cardiff City's board members will boycott Tuesday's Championship game at Wigan in protest at what they allege to be a club owned and managed by racists.

At least two members of the board were planning to travel but owner Vincent Tan has instructed them not to and they are said to support his position.

Wigan owner Dave Whelan, who had his leg broken in the 1960 FA Cup Final but doesn't like talking about it, was fined £50,000 for making racist comments about Jewish and Chinese people.

He also served a six-week ban from all football-related activity.

However, a Football Association disciplinary commission said it was "satisfied" Whelan "is not a racist" and did not intend to cause offence.

The 78-year-old's comments were made as he defended the appointment of Malky Mackay as the new Latics manager in November.

Mackay is currently under investigation by the FA regarding allegations he sent "sexist, racist and homophobic" text messages during his time in charge of Cardiff.

The Scot admitted sending offensive messages and apologised, adding that he is not racist, sexist, homophobic or anti-Semitic.

Mackay was sacked by the Bluebirds in December 2013.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
I think you will find that Dave Whelan has left Wigan, as he said he would do if he was found guilty of the racist comments he made, twice. I guess he is just sorting out a few loose ends before he goes. Although haven't heard much about him leaving, maybe its just Chinese Whispers.

Albion_Dave

Jul 4, 2011
Eastbourne
Cardiff City's board members will boycott Tuesday's Championship game at Wigan in protest at what they allege to be a club owned and managed by racists.

At least two members of the board were planning to travel but owner Vincent Tan has instructed them not to and they are said to support his position.

Wigan owner Dave Whelan, who had his leg broken in the 1960 FA Cup Final but doesn't like talking about it, was fined £50,000 for making racist comments about Jewish and Chinese people.

He also served a six-week ban from all football-related activity.

However, a Football Association disciplinary commission said it was "satisfied" Whelan "is not a racist" and did not intend to cause offence.

The 78-year-old's comments were made as he defended the appointment of Malky Mackay as the new Latics manager in November.

Mackay is currently under investigation by the FA regarding allegations he sent "sexist, racist and homophobic" text messages during his time in charge of Cardiff.

The Scot admitted sending offensive messages and apologised, adding that he is not racist, sexist, homophobic or anti-Semitic.

Mackay was sacked by the Bluebirds in December 2013.

Why doesn't he want to talk about it? I'm sure people would love to hear him recall this story :dunce:

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I think you will find that Dave Whelan has left Wigan, as he said he would do if he was found guilty of the racist comments he made, twice. I guess he is just sorting out a few loose ends before he goes. Although haven't heard much about him leaving, maybe its just Chinese Whispers.

Ah, yes. But the FA have said he's not a racist, he just says racist things. That's a big difference apparently. BY the way, how is the Mackay investigation still ongoing?! It seems to have been going on for about 6 months!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
the Welsh are boycotting wigan because they thing someone anyone in Wigan are racists
one thing to say about that ......................POT

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
As long as Wigan dont get 3 pts couldn't give a monkey's...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This!
Ah, yes. But the FA have said he's not a racist, he just says racist things.
I seem to recall him saying he'd leave if he was charged with anything at all related to the case, not only if he was found guilty of being a racist.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
"If the FA look into my affairs - and they were to find me guilty, which I hope they don't and I don't see anything like that happening because I'm absolutely anti-racist, always have been, always will be - however, if they have any questions I'm willing to answer it and, should they even suggest I'm guilty I would immediately resign from my position as chairman of Wigan Athletic."

Why is he still there?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here