La Rochelle

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Ouch ! That was cringe-making.

Interviewer; "How much are these new 500,000 homes going to cost...?"

Natalie Bennett; " er...er..er...£2.5 billion. "

Interviewer; " What ? What are they going to be built with....plywood ..? "
How big are they going to be, shed sized? Good luck building more than that for £5k with plywood. Built with cardboard more like.

Funded by removing the tax relief on mortgage interest for private landlords! **** that! Landlords will have to sell, which would be good for first time buyers if prices fall, but those who can't buy and want to rent have to sleep on the streets do they? And with landlords selling, they won't get their tax anyway.

What's the point in a small party like the greens having policies for being in government when they're only standing for a few seats, and can't be elected to form a government?

Last edited:

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Lost all my respect for her when she claimed the west must give ground to Putin. Y'know, completely contradicting their anti-imperialist/colonialist stance in the developing world. Yet, when there's a country that isn't from the West land grabbing. We must respect it.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Wow. I don't really mind when politicians don't know the answer to stuff like the price of bread etc..., but you expect them to know the costing of their own policies. This isn't a gotcha question or anything, it's a basic question about the party she leads policies.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
500,000 homes at £60k a time works out at 30,000,000,000.

£2.7b would get you 45,000 homes at the £60k she quoted, although a three bedroom home built of masonry costs around £160k according to this website. At that price, £2.7b gets you 16,875 homes.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'd suggest we all carry on voting for Labour, Tories and the Liberals.

So they can continue ****ing our kids, fiddling their expenses, selling our public services at bargain prices, allowing wealthy individuals and corparations to dodge tax legally, selling Parliamentary representation to the highest bidder and giving Governmment contracts to their mates in return for directorships.

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
It's like that time Alan Partridge interviewed the byelection candidates.

'Erm, we're bringing out a White Paper which, er, should, erm, which should end all discussion'.
'You're going to have to do better than that, mate'.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That's the end of her career. What a shambles.
You would hope so. Nick Ferrari knew more off the top of his head than the Green party leader knew with her notes after her team had worked out costings.

What is the total cost of 500,000 homes?
A cost of £60,000 per home.
But that can't include the land? That's not much more than a large conservatory, £60,000. So how are you going to pay for the land?
Cough cough, as you can probably hear I have got a huge cold.

:laugh:

How the hell did they come up with a figure of £60k?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
500,000 homes at £60k a time works out at 30,000,000,000.

£2.7b would get you 45,000 homes at the £60k she quoted, although a three bedroom home built of masonry costs around £160k according to this website. At that price, £2.7b gets you 16,875 homes.
That £160k doesn't include the land, so add £100k for that, and you're now £260k.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
That £160k doesn't include the land, so add £100k for that, and you're now £260k.

In that case, £2.7b covers 10,384 homes.

On the flip side, half a million homes at £260k a pop is £130,000,000,000

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton

Although I take your general point, I imagine the costings would be much lower as, presumably, these would be large estates being built, so there'd be bulk savings etc...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That's nearly 500,000, and she did have a HUGE cold (although it didn't sound like she had a cold at all).

How the **** did no one in her party work that out? Ok, she's the idiot at the front, and she should have questioned the figures when given them to make sure she understood them, but what about the rest of the party. How can you people be voting for the Greens?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Yes it was the predictable car crash, more to the point she's an Australian , she's got a bloody cheek poking her nose into how this country is run, I couldn't give a toss if she has got a passport, she should mind her own business as far as I'm concerned, which goes to prove im an equal opportunities bigot.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
That was horrendous, and the second time she has done this in an interview after her nightmare with Andrew Neil about the citizens income.

Sad thing is Caroline Lucas is such a good speaker and a pretty decent MP for her local constituents, being seriously undermined by the party leader and the mess that Kitkat is making of the local council.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here