Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockholm

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
anyone been and fancy chucking some advice my way?

heading out there with a few mates (mixed group) last weekend of March, flights were only £72 return and I can never turn down going somewhere new.

obviously heard prices for food and drink is extortionate in places - any ideas on good places and places to avoid? I'm an Ibiza head so don't mind splashing it one night but would rather not spend my monthly wage in 3 nights!

in general any advice would be appreciated:thumbsup:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
However much you spend on food and drink, just be thankful you didn't go to Oslo

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Head for old town, good restaurants and bars. There is some good bars in Stockholm and lovely people. Ice Bar by the main station is fun.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
NHM lives there. Hope he reads this and recommends some places for you. The Old town Gamla Stan is a great place to walk around. Stunning architecture, but I don't think anything is cheap there. God only knows how much it would cost to eat out, get hammered and go to a club. I seem to recollect that a decent coffee was about £6, 18 months ago.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
You've picked a great time to go exchange rate wise!

Only a few minutes ago I ordered some Krona for my trip at Easter. 12.4 crowns to the pound. Their recent quantitative easing as a result of the Greek crisis has helped our exchange rate. Of course rates may continue north but prob unlikely so maybe best to fill your boots now.

Oh and be careful out there! The Swedish women love the English men (one got me for keeps!).

Have a great time!!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Been twice, one of my favourite cities in the world.
I meet friends there so as locals they know the best places to go and I just go along.
By best I do not mean trendy but value for money restaurants and bars.
When I first went there they used vouchers for food and we were walking around in -10 looking for the best deals.
My advice would be to either do loads of research to get the best value from the city or just take loads of money and enjoy it.
Gamla Stan is nice but there are many other places to go.
The women are something else, the blokes are generally very polite and helpful.
If it was not for the long dark and cold winter I could easily live there.
Nothing to dislike.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Watch the horseback royal guards who parade round the old town every day. The zoo is nice and the ABBA museum opened last year. If you like to fish, you can fish for salmon in the river that runs through the town although I have done a number of times to no avail. Take a river boat trip to visit some of the exclusive islands owned by tennis players, oil magnates and Volvo execs. It's a great place.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Stock up on booze from the state run off licence, the Systembolaget, before it closes (at 7pm weekdays from memory, but much earlier on Saturdays, and if you arrive on a Sunday, forget it) and then you can get tanked before you go out, like the Swedes tend to. Places don't start getting busy until much later because everyone's necking booze at home, so it makes sense to join them if you can. If you want cold beers, you'll have to chill them yourself, but at this time of year the windowsill for half an hour will do a job.

The Swedes are actually very keen on our British ales so you'll find a lot of familiar brews on offer but I'd recommend dipping into some of their own such as Gotlands and Mariestads. The spirit of choice should be either Absolut or Akavit (schnapps) which comes in more flavours than you could possibly imagine.

Enjoy!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here