for a get along scene...

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Exactly, an anti-racist song but, in these PC days, somebody hears what they want to hear and make a fuss. I heard them talking about this on one radio station today and soon after heard it played on another.

Was never keen on the song. Wonder what they'ed make of "Young, Gifted & Black"?

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
The song is outdated. Instead of that 70s "Let's eliminate difference" theory, I'd rather go for "Let's celebrate diversity" and make sure we all stay different, but appreciate what we all have to offer.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I was at school at the time but, I'm sure Blue Mink were regarded as very brave for being an openly multi racial group. I believe they were regarded as equally brave to appear on TOTP. There seems to be so little understanding these days that previous generations had different standards. Attempting to rewrite history won't change history. Must be a nightmare if producers and DJs have to vet every piece of music to see if it fits current thinking.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
I was at school at the time but, I'm sure Blue Mink were regarded as very brave for being an openly multi racial group. I believe they were regarded as equally brave to appear on TOTP. There seems to be so little understanding these days that previous generations had different standards. Attempting to rewrite history won't change history. Must be a nightmare if producers and DJs have to vet every piece of music to see if it fits current thinking.

I know it was a different time and place, but Booker t and the MGs caused enormous consternation for being two white and two black men in the same group in the same place that saw the assassination of Martin Luther King in 1968.

I was thinking about this song the other day. The intentions were good, although the suggestion of turning out "coffee coloured people by the score" would not be taken seriously these days.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The song was never racist - it was all about the different ethnic groups joining in together in a world where skin colour didn't matter. And yes, obviously in time that would have produced an increasing number of people of mixed race who may well have turned out a coffee-ish sort of colour, but that would have been fine too.
Peace and love and all that.
Might have turned out a lot better than the bloody mess that multi-culturalism has turned out to be.

I know it was a different time and place, but Booker t and the MGs caused enormous consternation for being two white and two black men in the same group in the same place that saw the assassination of Martin Luther King in 1968.

I was thinking about this song the other day. The intentions were good, although the suggestion of turning out "coffee coloured people by the score" would not be taken seriously these days.

Very true, the whole Stax Records think, bearing in mind the time and place, is a fascinating one. Has prompted me to try and find an affordable copy of "Soulsville USA - the story of Stax Records" on Amazon - read it a long time ago. Meanwhile I will rustle up a Stax playlist for todays WFH!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Very true, the whole Stax Records think, bearing in mind the time and place, is a fascinating one. Has prompted me to try and find an affordable copy of "Soulsville USA - the story of Stax Records" on Amazon - read it a long time ago. Meanwhile I will rustle up a Stax playlist for todays WFH!

Considering the issues surrounding the whole thing, then, they managed to produce some wonderful music.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
There was a programme I saw a few weeks back called 'It was Alright in the 70's' and a few 'celebrity' observers were getting their knickers in a twist over a Derek Griffiths version of the song where he was pulling his eyes to look oriental whilst singing it. Reminded me of the Father Ted episode ha ha.
Can't seem to find a version of the video online though.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
The song is outdated. Instead of that 70s "Let's eliminate difference" theory, I'd rather go for "Let's celebrate diversity" and make sure we all stay different, but appreciate what we all have to offer.

You've probably nailed it. It was released in an era of racial segregation in America and of course apartheid in South Africa. The 1960s hippie view was that we should all break down the barriers between us and become 'humans' as opposed to all these different tribes, cultures, races, creeds, countries, etc. John Lennon's 'Imagine' is based on similar sentiments.

Now as you say that view is seen as old-fashioned and we are encouraged to 'celebrate diversity'. Obviously I can see some merit in that, but on the other hand I'm not 100% convinced that the old 1960s view was wrong.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Which song do you think a Chinese person might find most insulting?

1. This cheesy hippy song from the 60s with a now deemed mildly offensive word that was common parlance back then and was overtly about brotherly love? or...

2. A Spice Girls song from 1997 where they refer to a far Eastern person as "Yellow Man in Timbuktu" and thus also lazily confusing the city in Mali with Kathmandu in Nepal or...

3. Fresh off the press in 2015, US rapper and Grammy-nominee, Big Sean has a new song out, Dark Sky Paradise, where he chucks out the casually racist "I'm doing extra numbers like I'm Chinese"

You know what, I'm no expert here but I'm gonna take a punt that it ain't the first one. Funny old world, isn't it?

life on mars 73

Oct 19, 2010
You've probably nailed it. It was released in an era of racial segregation in America and of course apartheid in South Africa. The 1960s hippie view was that we should all break down the barriers between us and become 'humans' as opposed to all these different tribes, cultures, races, creeds, countries, etc. John Lennon's 'Imagine' is based on similar sentiments.

Now as you say that view is seen as old-fashioned and we are encouraged to 'celebrate diversity'. Obviously I can see some merit in that, but on the other hand I'm not 100% convinced that the old 1960s view was wrong.

There was another hit from that era by The Equals, "Black Skinned Blue Eyed Boys" - very similar message, i.e. when there are no more races, there won't be any more wars.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There was another hit from that era by The Equals, "Black Skinned Blue Eyed Boys" - very similar message, i.e. when there are no more races, there won't be any more wars.

... and Greyhound's "Black and White" - another song with a similar message from the same period

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Which song do you think a Chinese person might find most insulting?

1. This cheesy hippy song from the 60s with a now deemed mildly offensive word that was common parlance back then and was overtly about brotherly love? or...

2. A Spice Girls song from 1997 where they refer to a far Eastern person as "Yellow Man in Timbuktu" and thus also lazily confusing the city in Mali with Kathmandu in Nepal or...

3. Fresh off the press in 2015, US rapper and Grammy-nominee, Big Sean has a new song out, Dark Sky Paradise, where he chucks out the casually racist "I'm doing extra numbers like I'm Chinese"

You know what, I'm no expert here but I'm gonna take a punt that it ain't the first one. Funny old world, isn't it?

I think you might well be right.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003

Indeed! Great song! That's probably got itself on the banned list as well for use of the term 'black skinned' which I'm sure some would say isn't the correct way to refer to people of recent African heritage. That's the weird thing about 'celebrating diversity': there's an extremely narrow (and ever-changing) set of terms you are allowed to use to point out the differences!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here