Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Qatar 2022: Fifa taskforce says November/December is only option

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
The 2022 World Cup in Qatar can only be held in November and December, says the head of Fifa's taskforce looking into possible dates for the tournament.

Sheikh Salman bin Ebrahim Al-Khalifa has ruled out a May tournament - the European leagues' preferred option.

Qatar's bid proposed a summer tournament, but temperatures in the Gulf state are believed to pose a potential risk to players' health.

A January/February tournament would clash with the 2022 Winter Olympics.

"All parties have to compromise, not just the Europeans," Sheikh Salman said.
The proposal raises the prospect of a stand-off between the game's governing bodies and European clubs over domestic schedules and player availability for the tournament.
However, Uefa president Michel Platini has already said it will be a winter tournament and "that it's not possible to play in May when it's 40 degrees".

Sheikh Salman, president of the Asian Football Confederation, said there were two winter options - January/February or November/December - but cited a clash between January 2022 and the Winter Olympics as undesirableHowever, a winter World Cup would also be problematic - not only for European league schedules, but for the Africa Cup of Nations, scheduled for January 2023 in Guinea.
Sheikh Salman said he hoped his proposal was "a done deal" and was hopeful a recommendation would be made at Tuesday's taskforce meeting in Doha. The tournament date will then be put to Fifa's executive committee for final approval in March.

"Hopefully we can settle this issue once and for all," he added.

A Premier League spokesman said the league's position was unchanged on the matter: "The 2022 World Cup was bid for and awarded to Qatar as a summer tournament. The prospect of a winter World Cup is neither workable nor desirable for European domestic football."

Well it will happen and our games that season will be moved, and changed - Barber OUT

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
theres always the prefectly good, tried and tested June option, and hold the Qatari's to their promises to air-condition the stadiums.

i dont see the European clubs supporting this, they'd have to start a month early and finish a month late, impacting the seasons either side of 2021/22

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
There is another option, take the competition somewhere other than a blast furnace.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
theres always the prefectly good, tried and tested June option, and hold the Qatari's to their promises to air-condition the stadiums.

i dont see the European clubs supporting this, they'd have to start a month early and finish a month late, impacting the seasons either side of 2021/22

And all the cup games :moo:

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK

Should be well worth seeing about two thousand drunk football hooligans die form heat exhaustion. A total farce and one that in any other business would have been laughed into and out of court.

Nov/Dec is fine by me

TNBA

TTF

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
Let's face facts...We all know that there was something untoward when it was announced that Qatar was the winner to hold the World Cup in 2022, now they're trying to get the goalposts moved to Winter so that they can still host the tournament, but wait!!!! Wasn't this meant to be a Summer tournament? That's what other countries bid for and that's the way it should stay. If that's not possible in Qatar then they forfeit the tournament....Simples! Hence it should go to the 2nd place bidding country.....nuff said.

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
The big European countries should just boycott it and hold a euro 2022 in the summer and invite some other countries not in the World Cup to participate

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Have the countries that don't want a winter tournament boycott or send youth teams.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I don't think a climatic hazard should discount a nation from holding a World Cup. What I do object to is that the voting was rigged and an utter farce.

Just change your season for once or twice in a lifetime. No big deal.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I don't think a climatic hazard should discount a nation from holding a World Cup.

well it didnt, so they should play in June as normal. changing the expected schedule after winning is much an issue as the rigging, because part of their campaign was that they could deal with the heat.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
well it didnt, so they should play in June as normal. changing the expected schedule after winning is much an issue as the rigging, because part of their campaign was that they could deal with the heat.
I was talking from a broader point. Tell them that your tournament shall be at a different time of the year within the bid. That bid should not be discounted on the strength of that.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
I don't think a climatic hazard should discount a nation from holding a World Cup. What I do object to is that the voting was rigged and an utter farce.

Just change your season for once or twice in a lifetime. No big deal.

Barrel boy - I think there is a hidden agenda in Europe digging its heels in. I say boycott or move
it to Australia,

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Must be a fair chance that ISIS will be there by 2022

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
So to accommodate we will have:
1. Season 2021/22 finishing May
2. Season 2022/23 (Part 1) starting August, finishing end September
3. World Cup warm up games October
4. World Cup 2022 November
5. Domestic season warm up games early December
6. Season 2022/23 (Part 2) starts Boxing Day, finishing end of June
7. Season 2023/4 starting September finishing end of May

So its a two season knock on effect with a split season, which would need to apply to both the PL and Championship. Also issue with Champions League, and given the number of games in the Europa League the 2022/3 competition would probably still be running when the 2023/4 is underway.

Still as long as Mr Blatter says everything is fine and open then it must be.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here