Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Advice needed - PC Anti-virus software

The Rattler

NSC Patreon
Jun 30, 2010
Dullsville, Herts
Advice please good people.

Have had Norton Internet security which is about to expire - they want £50 to renew for a year. Any recommendations for better value? Only have 1 Laptop so don't need anything complicated.

Thanks!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Microsoft Security Essentials, completely free, works a treat.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
But make sure you download a reputable uninstall app to remove every trace of the Norton software too. It'll seem like you have upgraded your RAM once the Norton is gone.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Avast works fine for me, had McAffe for many years until a killer virus got through it and I lost almost all my files. So, having paid £50 a pop a year it was all for nothing, had no problems with the free Avast but maybe, it's just a matter of time or if your number is up !

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Dont use AVG, theyve had some dodgy update issues as well as compatability issues, including in some cases burning out the CPU.

Avast is OK, and free, you may just need to change settings for things like dodgy yank voice or disable webshield for visiting interesting sites they dont like.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
If you're going to pay, ESET is a fraction of the cost of Norton and far better

If not, Microsoft Security Essentials is all I'd recommend anymore.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Been using Avast! for a good while now after originally using AVG, which seemed to have a few too many false positives. Plus you can make Avast! talk like a pirate :thumbsup:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Malwarebytes + AVG. Seems to keep things quick and smooth on my lappy.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
If you bank with Barclays you can get Kaspersky Internet Security free for up to 3 devices. I used to have AVG which was fine but it screwed up on me with an update last year so I ditched it for Kaspersky and its been fine so far.

seaford

Feb 8, 2007
Agree with this, also use SuperAntiSpyware and Adwcleaner, these are great at picking up the toolbar rubbish and some stuff that Microsoft Essentials does not always pick up.
I use these and Malwarebytes regularly, and have not paid for anti-virus for years.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Of course it would never happen with a Mac*

*apparently this isn't necessarily the case these days.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My Norton 360 has expired and the company want £64 o renew for a year. PC World/Currys do Norton Security for 10 appliances for £29.99 will do that the same job also I have malware installed on my lap tops so do I need another form like Norton. I dont think windows 8.1 will accept Microsoft Essential, will it?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here