Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Penalty Save

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Penalty save of exceptional skill and deception by Stockdale. Do we out this down to Hughton though, the goalkeeping coach or Stockdale ??? Game influencing. I give Stockdale oa rating of 9 for influencing the course of the game.

I think we would have won anyway but it could have been crucial.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
There was this one guy in the North giving the penalty kicker so much stick I think it put him off :lolol:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Given our home record this season, to have gone in at the break 2-1 down having been the better side but (as usual) failing to take our chances, would have been a hammer blow that I'm not sure we'd have recovered from.

So, absolutely critical moment in the game for my money, as was the stop minutes earlier when the defence graciously stood back to allow Donaldson a clear run on goal.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Penalty.jpg

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Very good save at a crucial time but it was a poor penalty as he made it obvious where he was going to put it. When was the last one saved by our keeper presumably Brezovan.

That's where the trickery and deception came in!

Better than Brev's first one against Wrexham in the penalty shoot out.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Very good save at a crucial time but it was a poor penalty as he made it obvious where he was going to put it. When was the last one saved by our keeper presumably Brezovan.

Cant you for once leave off your anti Stockdale comment

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

No way that was a poor penalty.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
BG, poor penalty? Sure it could have been better, but WTF are you on about?

56s in.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

It wasn't a poor penalty, you really struggle to give Stockdale praise, even when you do it's a massive backhanded compliment (the same MO you had when it came to Kuipers).

The penalty was fairly well hit and quite wide of the keeper, Stockdale did his homework and guessed right, got down well and got a hand on it at pretty much full stretch. Most keepers and coaches will go through an opposition team in the week building up to a game and go through previous penalties, who took them and where they put them in the hope the can make an educated guess on where the penalty is going.

In the context of the match it was a match winning save, let it in, go in at ht 2-1 down and given our poor record of coming from behind, not just this season but since the Amex opened, we would have struggled to get anything out of the game.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
BG, poor penalty? Sure it could have been better, but WTF are you on about?

56s in.

Don't waste your breath arguing with him. He hates Stockdale.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The penalty was fairly well hit and quite wide of the keeper, Stockdale did his homework and guessed right, got down well and got a hand on it and pretty much full stretch. Most keepers and coaches will go through an opposition team in the week building up to a game and go through previous penalties, who took them and where they put them in the hope the can make an educated guess on where the penalty is going.

In the context of the match it was a match winning save, let it in and go in at ht 2-1 down and given our poor record of coming from behind, not just this season but since the Amex opened and we would have struggled to get anything out of the game.

Absolutely. Oddly enough, I saw a couple of City fans criticising Caddis for making it too easy for Stockdale, because apparently he put it in the same place as his last one. I then saw a clip of Caddis's (successful) penalty in their previous game. Which went to the opposite side of the goal :dunce:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am not denegrading Stockdales save in any way. A keeper guesses where he will place it as Caddid like most doesnt always hit it to the same spot. In fact seeing him line up I said where he was going to out put it and like DS guessed correctly. Had he hit it harder it would have beaten DS so it was a poor penalty not hit crisp enough. Had he scored they pròbably would have gone on to win. The crucial thing for DS was the time that he made the save and probably won us the 3 points. Well done to him for the save but Rowlett wont be saying it was a well struck penalty

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here