Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Heat Maps

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Heat maps comparison

http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/830343/Live/England-Championship-2014-2015-Brighton-Birmingham

Touches:

Brighton 724 Birmingham 527 + 197 goals 4-3

Brighton 641 Arsenal 846 -205 goals 2-3

Palace 581 Arsenal 609 -28 goals 1-2

Brighton 698 Forest 467 +221 goals 2-3

Brighton 584 Brentford 716 -132 goals 0-1

Cup match
Brentford 584 Brighton 716 +132 goals 0-1

or Brighton completely dominated the games against Forest and Birmingham, but lost out quite badly to Brentford in the League, and Albion dominated Birmingham like Arsenal dominated us.

Birmingham also made lots of mistakes, very much unlike most clubs at the Amex. Our shooting was abysmal and we scored four which showed how bad Birmingham were. Our passing was accurate but everything else was naff.

The trouble with the scientific data on players is that it might not be accurate.

I don't know why we are not playing Holla. He has a lot of the ball, doesn't make mistakes, not bad on his weak foot, possesses a slight goal threat and I think the team play better with him in the side.

It is all down to mistakes and not being able to shoot for toffee.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Very interesting, clicking through the heat maps player by player. Most of our players touches concentrated in particular areas except Calde, who seemed to float all over the pitch!

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Very interesting, clicking through the heat maps player by player. Most of our players touches concentrated in particular areas except Calde, who seemed to float all over the pitch!

I thought the fault of Hyypia's 4-2-3-1 was the rather rigid movement of the players compared to Oscar and Gus (at the Albion). The same is true of Chris Hughton (which is why I am still concerned about our game). Calde was playing the Rosicky position.

I expect Holla was dropped because he can't run around enough as he is not fully fit.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
All 3 of our subs had 100% passing accuracy apparently.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
No one on the Wing?

An interesting look at the heat map reveals how desperate we are are for a right winger, we are becoming one dimensional, which may explain how we're not scoring enough.

Agree. We need one out and out winger (with sprint pace) to stretch the opposing defence, give an outlet for the midfield passes. Only one winger needed, the advancing full back can do it on the other side of the pitch.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
These stats can be a tad deceptive though. It's all very well having lots of possession, but it has to be constructive. In a couple of those games above, 75% of those passes must have been repeated knocking it back and forth around the back line, waiting for a midfielder to appear to offer an option. It might up the passing stats, but it by no means implies we dominated a game.

(I'm not saying we never do, as there have been games where we've controlled possession for more or less the entire time, only to lose stupidly, again)

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
These stats can be a tad deceptive though. It's all very well having lots of possession, but it has to be constructive. In a couple of those games above, 75% of those passes must have been repeated knocking it back and forth around the back line, waiting for a midfielder to appear to offer an option. It might up the passing stats, but it by no means implies we dominated a game.

(I'm not saying we never do, as there have been games where we've controlled possession for more or less the entire time, only to lose stupidly, again)

The only worrying thing (apart from our poor shooting) is that is we do not dominate the game (with the number of touches) we are well truly ****ed. e.g at Spurs. Birmingham, I was thinking, did not even make a game of it. And then they scored. The difference between Albion and Birmingham and Forest was more than or equal to the difference between Arsenal and us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here