Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Travel subsidy [NOT] being scrapped for next season?

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Has anyone heard anything similar?

Being a drunk idiot after the game last night I got on the wrong train and promptly sailed straight through Hassocks and had to get off at Burgess Hill and come back down. :angry::angry::lolol::lolol::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

I was chatting to the bloke operating the ticket barrier at Burgess Hill trying to wangle a free ride back down and he mentioned in conversation that they had received an email during the week that they are not to allow ticket holders on the train for free next season.

I was under the impression that the subsidy was an integral part of us getting the Amex approved? Or is there a possibility that they will make the zone smaller so as not to include stations such as Burgess Hill?

Has anyone else heard anything?

If they put the prices up, and they will, then remove the travel subsidy I can see a new poll coming which will show a hell of a lot less than the current 65% saying they will renew.

And I will be one of them.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Ha, that will kill off another 10% - 20% of the season ticket base..... if that is true.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Not heard but an obvious way to improve balance sheet. Can also say no increase in ticket price as a headline whereas actually increased as travel removed. Will find out with the announcement later today

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I suggested that it would happen when they removed the free buses. I believe the planning permission centred around 'encouraging' the use of public transport rather than actually having to pay for it. What form that 'encouragement' takes I guess is open to interpretation. Maybe they'll scrap the train part and just keep the B&H buses part ? Or maybe scrap both and keep the P&R which I guess is still encouraging the use of public transport. Either way, it costs over £1m a season so I'd be surprised if they didn't do something to get that cost down.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
If they put the prices up, and they will, then remove the travel subsidy I can see a new poll coming which will show a hell of a lot less than the current 65% saying they will renew.

And I will be one of them.

I'm not convinced they will put prices up. If I were a betting man, I'd go for no increase but a reduction or removal of the travel subsidy. Will you renew if I'm right?

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I have absolutely no idea if the bloke was talking out of his ring or not. But it would certainly be a strange thing to say in conversation without there being an element of truth in it. Wouldn't it?

I personally will still renew whether there's a subsidy or not. It's £7ish to get to Falmer from where I am so still affordable to me. I have a season ticket and I'm intending to keep it until my dying day. It's gonna get expensive when my 6 month old is old enough to come with me. But by then I should have made my millions:whistle::whistle:

I'm not convinced they will put prices up. If I were a betting man, I'd go for no increase but a reduction or removal of the travel subsidy. Will you renew if I'm right?

Not sure, I am still very much in the undecided camp right now.

Let's wait and see what they do.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
It's like the old days, we all knew what was happening re transfers, kit suppliers, caterers long before the official club announcement. Now we gave a BR ticket barrier operative ITK and giving us the news. Barber out.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton

I think it would be a good move, no season ticket price increase but fans paying for their own transport.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It could be that they reduce the train zone down to just between Brighton and Lewes ? ???

I have absolutely no idea if the bloke was talking out of his ring or not. But it would certainly be a strange thing to say in conversation without there being an element of truth in it. Wouldn't it?

I personally will still renew whether there's a subsidy or not. It's £7ish to get to Falmer from where I am so still affordable to me. I have a season ticket and I'm intending to keep it until my dying day. It's gonna get expensive when my 6 month old is old enough to come with me. But by then I should have made my millions:whistle::whistle:

Was the fellow in question a rather portly gentleman?

If so, I know him and he tends not to talk out of his ring, and believe it or not, he was an excellent goalkeeper.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Will find out with the announcement later today

What announcement? An official club one? Bit spooky if there was one about the travel.....

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

If so, I know him and he tends not to talk out of his ring, and believe it or not, he was an excellent goalkeeper.

Don't suppose he fancies a game Tuesday night?

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Great news if true.

This. With the subsidy I am actually paying more for travel. The current situation only allows free travel for me and many others from Lewes to Falmer.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill

Yes he was, no hair either.

I used to talk to him most Saturday's when I lived up there before getting on the train to games before I moved down to Hassocks. Perhaps that's why he told me. Nice bloke, and he let me skip on back down:D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here