Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Help Needed as Vulnerable people lose hot meals at Brighton Council day Centre

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
The Tower House Day Centre in Brighton where my Mother goes is to lose their kitchen for hot meals in April thanks to Brighton Council Cuts. This is a centre for the elderly and persons with physical disabilities and their hot meal there might be the only meal they have cooked for them all week. Now they are to lose that as the Council say they need to make cuts despite all the money they continue to waste on traffic and travellers.
If you would like to help or just send an email to your councillor or just tell Mr Kitkat what you think, the email addresses are below.
Thank you for your help.

Click below for the Argus story.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/11807526.Protest_at_day_centre/?ref=arc

Jason.kitkat@brighton-hove.gcsk.gov.uk
Simon.kirby.mp@parliament.uk
Ken.norman@brighton-hove.gcsx.gov.uk
Caroline.lucas.mp@parliament.co.uk

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Can you clarify:

is it proposed that the provision of hot meals at this establishment stops?

OR

Is it proposed that the provision of hot meals via the establishment's on site kitchen ends?

You'll appreciate that they are two quite different things and that, in the second case, hot meal provision would continue but not via the on site kitchen. .

Thanks

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
Can you clarify:

is it proposed that the provision of hot meals at this establishment stops?

OR

Is it proposed that the provision of hot meals via the establishment's on site kitchen ends?

You'll appreciate that they are two quite different things and that, in the second case, hot meal provision would continue but not via the on site kitchen. .

Thanks

The kitchen will be closed and the kitchen staff redeployed or made redundant.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
The kitchen will be closed and the kitchen staff redeployed or made redundant.

Ok thanks - but will hot meals end or not? i'm still not clear. Cheers.

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
Please read the story and with the kitchen closed I think it quite obvious.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

Try big gully on here. He is / was a local councillor

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1

Forgive me if I don't rely on that rag for factual accuracy. I would be very surprised if an alternative hot meal delivery service was not available in this case.

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
Forgive me if I don't rely on that rag for factual accuracy. I would be very surprised if an alternative hot meal delivery service was not available in this case.

Thank you for your concern. Obviously, all the poor people in the photograph have nothing to worry about and I wonder why they are protesting. Do you work for the council or just trying to be clever.

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
A friend of mine is protesting against cuts to child services. There is a protest planned in March. I will find out when. Lots of groups are joining together.

Thank you. It is so sad how they cut for the needy and waste so much on other trivial things such as killing the car.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Thank you. It is so sad how they cut for the needy and waste so much on other trivial things such as killing the car.
Although didn't residents vote against a rise in council tax? The councillors dressed it up to suggest adult services would be cut without the rise.

Does our council tax still get diverted up north?

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Thank you for your concern. Obviously, all the poor people in the photograph have nothing to worry about and I wonder why they are protesting. Do you work for the council or just trying to be clever.

Neither but when I'm considering supporting any petition I like to know the facts of the matter & preferably not via a local paper notorious for poor quality reporting.

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
A friend of mine is protesting against cuts to child services. There is a protest planned in March. I will find out when. Lots of groups are joining together.

Think it would be great if we all sent emails to those listed including Mr Kitkat and tell them what we think of their policies.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
6f9bed8893f48bd4968cae9ad2f3b951.jpg

More groups are joining.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
I'm afraid that changes and cuts to service delivery are inevitable without a significant rise in council tax (which is highly unlikely to take place).

I think about 20% of the council's total spend is on social care services for children and adults. Consequently, regardless of who is elected locally in May, it appears, these services are going to see unprecedented change.

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
I'm afraid that changes and cuts to service delivery are inevitable without a significant rise in council tax (which is highly unlikely to take place).

I think about 20% of the council's total spend is on social care services for children and adults. Consequently, regardless of who is elected locally in May, it appears, these services are going to see unprecedented change.

Even the Tories said last week that the reason that Brighton is in the state it is in is because of the mad spending. If they did not spend it or waste it then cuts would not be needed. Do you have a heart or is everything so black and white in your world. I suspect you do not have children or elderly parents that need help.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Even the Tories said last week that the reason that Brighton is in the state it is in is because of the mad spending. If they did not spend it or waste it then cuts would not be needed. Do you have a heart or is everything so black and white in your world. I suspect you do not have children or elderly parents that need help.

Tories claim opposition spend too much in pre election shocker! Listen to yourself. If the Tories get in the likes of Tower House will be closed/out-sourced to private sector provision before you can say 'meals on wheels'.

I don't think you have a grip on the financial challenges facing local councils. Brighton has to save something like £100m over the next four years. Trimming fat and wasteful spending will barely scratch the surface and significant savings have already been made. Local government and services as we know them are on the verge of changing forever. The Tories are winning and their pals in the city will clean up here as they will in the health sector.

Lastly, I feel strongly about adult care services but am a realist: the local population will not support any referendum to pay a substantial increase in council tax and, based on recent surveys, consider the provision of adult social care services to be well down the pecking order of priorities. With all due respect, we're on the same side and you need to wake up.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i suppose what Tarpon's point is, if you want to protest thats fine but it wont actually change anything. if you want to see change, campaign *for* an increase in council tax, explaining what exactly the increase is needed for. incidently fiddling about with traffic will come from a seperate transport budget, that will mean difference between filling potholes or setting up 20mph, they arent going to transfer the money across to care services.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Seeing ad I work in A and E and daily see the consequences of social service provision being throttled via the medium of queues of elderly and disabled punters sitting on hard ambulance trollies for hours on end because the hospital is full of hundreds of old biddies we can't discharge because they would die as there is no longer any one available to ensure they won't starve, freeze to death or sit all day in a pool of their own shit I am finding it hard to care too much about this one.

We should have been burning down the hedge fund managers mansions years go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here