Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
ch-210215-l229-2286659_478x359.jpg

Chris Hughton
Image by: Paul Hazlewood

PUBLISHED
18:50 21st February 2015
by Paul Camillin
The penalty save was massive. The timing – just before half-time – changed my thinking as well."
Chris Hughton

Brighton & Hove Albion boss Chris Hughton hailed a vital contribution by his goalkeeper David Stockdale tonight, after his side recorded a crucial 4-3 win over Birmingham City at Amex.The Albion keeper made two vital saves with the score tied at 1-1. First denying Clayton Donaldson in a one-against-one, and then diving to his left to push away Paul Caddis's penalty kick.
Hughton said, "The penalty save was massive. The timing – just before half-time – changed my thinking as well. At 2-1 down I would be thinking about changes but I decided to leave it and we were able to get the goals that we wanted.
"You look at turning points in the game and of course it was the penalty save. At 2-1 down I would have had to go more offensive, which would have meant either bringing on Kazenga [LuaLua] earlier or possibly Ledesma.
"The disappointment in the first half was that we didn't score more of the chances we had. It was a little bit similar in that respect to the Ipswich game in that we started well, took the lead and then conceded. Our first goal might have been a little fortuitous but their equaliser was too.
"It was really disappointing at a stage of the game when we were looking to gather momentum, we allowed the other team back in the game."

LATEST NEWS FROM SEAGULLS.CO.UK

Hughton dedicated the win – Albion's first on a Saturday at the Amex since the 3-1 win over Bolton Wanderers in August – to the Amex fans.He added, "Birmingham are a very good side, but over the 90-odd minutes I felt we were the better team and deserved the win.
"I was particular pleased because we have been a team that has not been scoring goals, but we managed to score four here for the first time in quite a while.
"It was certainly a game for the supporters and I don't imagine there are too many Brighton supporters who went home unhappy, but while I was delighted that we got the goals that we did score, we need to defend that little bit better.
"When you take the lead – on the occasions that we have this season – and you keep allowing the opposition back in the game it makes life very tough for ourselves."
The Albion boss says that the victory does not take any pressure off him or his side ahead of Tuesday's visit of Leeds United to the Amex.
"It doesn't change anything about the Leeds game. That is still a pressure game. The pressure is on in every game to get as many positive results as we can, but it is certainly nicer to be going into the game on the back of a win."
[h=3]ALBION V LEEDS
[/h]TUESDAY 24TH FEBRUARY, KICK-OFF 7.45PM

[h=3]ALBION V DERBY
[/h]TUESDAY 3RD MARCH, KICK-OFF 7.45PM

[h=3]ALBION V WOLVES
[/h]SATURDAY 14TH MARCH, KICK-OFF 3PM

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here