Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Match ratings V Birmingham

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Stockdale 8 - Two great saves, one the penalty which definitely was a game changer.
Bruno 3 - passing poor at fault for the first goal. Would prefer Calderon at right back, but then who would get our goals.
Greer 4 - Needs dropping. Too slow to move the ball and hardly won a header.
Dunk 5 - Not sure if he was the player turned for two of the Birmingham goals if not a 6
Bennett 6 - our best defender today
Calderon 8 - Never gives up and in the right place to score his goals. Although isn't that where are forwards are supposed to be. In the six yard box.
Kayal 8 - Everything was going thru him after Ince broke up the play. They are getting a good understanding. Lost the midfield after Kayal went off.
Ince 8 - Another good performance. Getting more consistent.
Texiera 8 MOM - Again more confident and consistent. His skills are coming to the fore at last. Two goals.
Baldock 4 - Not impressed at all. Lost the ball for their second goal and just stood there instead of trying to get it back.
Best 4 - Hope I am wrong, but reminds me of Barn Door Billy. Could be waiting a long time to celebrate a goal from him.

Lua Lua 5 - Looked lively
Stephens 4 - Looked rusty understandably, but we lost the midfield after Kayal went off and Ince seemed a bit lost after that.
CMS 5 - Runs around but no end result.

Given 5 players an 8 if the others had performed at that standard we would have had a clean sheet and I would be a lot more confident about the Leeds game on Tuesday

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Stockdale 9
Bruno 5
Greer 6
Dunk 5
Bennett 6

Ince 8
Kayal 8
Tex 9

Calderon 7
Baldock 6

Best 6

Stumpy Tim

Stockdale 8.5 - His best performance for us. MOM
Bruno 5 - Class on the ball, poor without it. What was he thinking for the penalty?
Greer 5.5 - He isn't the player he was, which is a real shame
Dunk 6 - Better than Greer, but not at his best
Bennett 6.5 - Solid & good going forward
Calderon 7 - Legend. End of
Kayal 8 - Quality. Looks to go forward every time he gets the ball. Top signing
Ince 8 - Every time he plays he makes Hyppia look ever more clueless
Texiera 8 - Consistency is coming. Fine performance
Baldock 6 - Good shift, and his cross for Calderon's first was top notch. I like him
Best 3 - He doesn't give a sh*t. How he gets in the team ahead of COG is bemusing to me

Lua Lua 6 - Looked lively
Stephens 5 - Poor decision to bring him on as a defensive midfielder... Not sure why Hughton brought him & Tex off - two of our best players on the day
CMS 6 - a decent cameo I thought

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Stockdale: 9 - Bloody superb saves in the first half.
Bruno: 7 - Fairly solid, some neat play with Calde down the right.
Greer: 6 - Shaky at times but still did decently
Dunk: 6 - Same as Greer
Bennett: 8 - Excellent today. This says it all: http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?318686-Today-s-unsung-hero
Ince: 8 - Superb as always. Going to be difficult to hang onto him if he keeps this up.
Kayal: 8.5 - This man ran the show until he was taken off, seems we've signed a real gem.
Texeria: 9 - MOTM fully deserved, was excellent going forward and did his bit when we were on the back foot.
Baldock: 7.5 - Missed some good chances but was involved in some very good play on that left-hand side. Peach of a cross for Calde as well.
Calde: 8 - Right place, right time, the man, the legend :bowdown:
Best: 6 - I really don't know what to make of him, showed glimpses of quality but on other occasions went down far too easily (particularly for a big guy) and was slow to track back.

Subs

Stephens: 6 - Great to see him back. Can understand his rustiness, has a job on his hands breaking back into the midfield now.
CMS: 6.5 - Some neat work and the usual great effort from Macca.
Lualua: Not on long enough.

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean
Stockdale 8.5 - Penalty save changed the game, almost certainly would've lost if it wasn't for him.

Bruno 3 - Very, very dodgy. We need a new right back.
Greer 5
Dunk 6
Bennett 7

Ince 7
Kayal 8 - Already looking like a really good signing.
Tex 8.5 - Has come on so much under Hughton. Looks a totally different player.

Calderon 8 - Hero. I've had doubts about him at right mid but he was great today.
Baldock 7.5 - Huge improvement in the second half, some of his crosses were fantastic.

Best 3 - Why exactly did we sign this donkey? COG has got to start next game.

Good performance.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Stockdale 8.5 - game changer - MOM
Bruno 6
Greer 6
Dunk 6
Bennett 6.5
Calde 7.5
Kayal 7
Ince 6 - Only decent, always over-marked on here. He'll be a very good player - he's not yet. Wins the ball well but wastefully loses it too often
Tex 8 - quality
Baldock 6
Best 4

Kaz 6.5
Stephens 5 - not fit
CMS 6.5 - certainly gave them a harder time than Best

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Don't think any of our defenders deserve a mark above 5 apart from Bennett. How many attacks and how many goals? Stockdale not at fault for any of them either.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Stockdale 8 - Two great saves, one the penalty which definitely was a game changer.
Bruno 3 - passing poor at fault for the first goal. Would prefer Calderon at right back, but then who would get our goals.
Greer 4 - Needs dropping. Too slow to move the ball and hardly won a header.
Dunk 5 - Not sure if he was the player turned for two of the Birmingham goals if not a 6
Bennett 6 - our best defender today
Calderon 8 - Never gives up and in the right place to score his goals. Although isn't that where are forwards are supposed to be. In the six yard box.
Kayal 8 - Everything was going thru him after Ince broke up the play. They are getting a good understanding. Lost the midfield after Kayal went off.
Ince 8 - Another good performance. Getting more consistent.
Texiera 8 MOM - Again more confident and consistent. His skills are coming to the fore at last. Two goals.
Baldock 4 - Not impressed at all. Lost the ball for their second goal and just stood there instead of trying to get it back.
Best 4 - Hope I am wrong, but reminds me of Barn Door Billy. Could be waiting a long time to celebrate a goal from him.

Lua Lua 5 - Looked lively
Stephens 4 - Looked rusty understandably, but we lost the midfield after Kayal went off and Ince seemed a bit lost after that.
CMS 5 - Runs around but no end result.

Given 5 players an 8 if the others had performed at that standard we would have had a clean sheet and I would be a lot more confident about the Leeds game on Tuesday

To give Baldock and Best the same rating is simply laughable. Baldock worked his ass off, made a great run to force the save that led to tex' second and delivered the perfect cross for Calde's first. Yes, he was profligate with.a couple of chances but he really put in a good shift and was popping up everywhere. As for Best, I'm not one to go crazy for COG but exactly how he is behind CMS and Leon Best in the pecking order is beyond me. Best just looks lazy and disinterested. That shot in the first half was woeful.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Stockdale. Hopefully his penalty save was also the moment our season was saved 8
Bruno. Almost cost us the match but good with the ball 5
Greer. Pretty reliable I though, ought to have scored 6
Dunk. Gone backwards since Hyppia has left. At fault for their first goal? 5
Bennett. Gives attackers too much room but very good going forward. Nice partnership with Baldock 7
Calderon. Quiet in the first half, wonderful in the second 7
Kayal. Extremely impressive. Vision, movement, a leader 8 MoM
Ince. Few Bambi moments, but strong and dependable as usual 7
Texiera. Up for it today even in prematch warm up. Wish he was permanently ours 8
Baldock. Excellent partnership with Bennett, out of positionbut gives his all 7
Best. not fit to tie CoGs boots. CHs favourite though so likely to be in the team now 3

Lua Lua 5
Stephens 5
CMS. One moment when he ran so fast he lost ball control summed it all up 5

And will we see JFC and Holla again?

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Stockdale 8.5 - game changer - MOM
Bruno 6
Greer 6
Dunk 6
Bennett 6.5
Calde 7.5
Kayal 7
Ince 6 - Only decent, always over-marked on here. He'll be a very good player - he's not yet. Wins the ball well but wastefully loses it too often
Tex 8 - quality
Baldock 6
Best 4

Kaz 6.5
Stephens 5 - not fit
CMS 6.5 - certainly gave them a harder time than Best

Sorry but I totally disagree about Ince, he was superb and rarely gives the ball away.Tex got 2 goals and was superb, Calds got 2 and is a legend, Stockdale turned the match for us but Ince ran them very close for MOM.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Stockdale - 7 - saved the pen well and excellent one on one save but still left wondering whether he coulda shoulda got to the 2nd and 3rd goal? Seemed slow to go down bit like my ex.
Bennett - 7 - had a good game
Bruno - 5 - still annoys me, did some good stuff going forward but was badly at fault for the pen and some other errors.
Greer - 5 - just give it to Kayal or Tex don't try fancy long passes or lump it. Seems older and slower to me.
Dunk - 5 - meh, still over rated defensively. Credit due for those couple of occasions he STEAMS forward with the ball.
Calderon - 7 - bit iffy and slow when playing defensively but is getting in the right place at the right time in the box so that makes him priceless. Needs to teach the others.
Kayal - 8 - drops deep like Bridcutt used to but is much more of a ball player. Like him.
ince - 7 - was everywhere, winning the ball (and shock horror some headers) but still needs to find composure on the ball. good game, fan favourite. Reminds me a bit of Codner mixed with Smith.
Texy - 8 - frustrated me in the first half as he was a nearly man with his passing but second half he was mom.
Baldock - 7 - second half he put in some great crosses, in fact he seems to be the best crosser in the team at the mo (with his right). His natural position? No , not really but well played.
Best - 6 - seriously annoyed me first half - premier league quality ha! - but improved second half in his control and distribution. Seems moody tho.

Lua Lua - 7 - should have been on much earlier as he draws fouls and wastes time holding the ball - quality.
CMS - 5 - i really want him to be good again....but
Stephens - 6 - not ready yet?

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Stockdale - 7 - saved the pen well and excellent one on one save but still left wondering whether he coulda shoulda got to the 2nd and 3rd goal? Seemed slow to go down bit like my ex.
Bennett - 7 - had a good game
Bruno - 5 - still annoys me, did some good stuff going forward but was badly at fault for the pen and some other errors.
Greer - 5 - just give it to Kayal or Tex don't try fancy long passes or lump it. Seems older and slower to me.
Dunk - 5 - meh, still over rated defensively. Credit due for those couple of occasions he STEAMS forward with the ball.
Calderon - 7 - bit iffy and slow when playing defensively but is getting in the right place at the right time in the box so that makes him priceless. Needs to teach the others.
Kayal - 8 - drops deep like Bridcutt used to but is much more of a ball player. Like him.
ince - 7 - was everywhere, winning the ball (and shock horror some headers) but still needs to find composure on the ball. good game, fan favourite. Reminds me a bit of Codner mixed with Smith.
Texy - 8 - frustrated me in the first half as he was a nearly man with his passing but second half he was mom.
Baldock - 7 - second half he put in some great crosses, in fact he seems to be the best crosser in the team at the mo (with his right). His natural position? No , not really but well played.
Best - 6 - seriously annoyed me first half - premier league quality ha! - but improved second half in his control and distribution. Seems moody tho.

Lua Lua - 7 - should have been on much earlier as he draws fouls and wastes time holding the ball - quality.
CMS - 5 - i really want him to be good again....but
Stephens - 6 - not ready yet?

herecomesaregular - still the best username on NSC by a country mile. 10/10.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Don't think any of our defenders deserve a mark above 5 apart from Bennett. How many attacks and how many goals? Stockdale not at fault for any of them either.

Agree with this. How can people give them all >5 when they gave away threw very soft goals at home?!

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Stockdale 8
Bruno 6
Greer 6
Dunk 6
Bennett 7
Ince 7
Kayal 8 absolute bargain, what a player, captain next season? Went off because he took a knock.
Calderon 7 still not sure why he's playing there, but a hero today.
Texeira 9
Baldock 8 shame about his finishing, everything else quality today
Best, what a useless lump. 4

Mackail-Smith 6 so want him to get some goals
Stephens 5
LuaLua nle

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Stockdale 7 One very good save, one good but lucky penalty save (it's always luck) one dreadful save in the first half pushing it out to the penalty spot very lucky to get away with it and good handling/distribution
Bruno 2 Awful, a liability
Greer 2 Awful, so slow, wouldn't look out of place in a petrified forest.
Dunk 4 Poor, allowed a player twice to turn and score.
Bennett 5 Good going forwards but can't defend
Ince 7 Good game par for him.
Kayal 8 played well
God 8 Even he makes mistakes and did by missing two chances( and the aardvark) but made amends by slotting in 2, tomorrow he shall rest
Texeira 8 Good game could have got more
Baldock 6 Good game but being a forward should do better with his chances
Best,3 Rubbish O Grady where are you?

Mackail-Smith 5 Warm up, tracksuit removed, head removed off you go.............
Stephens 4 Didn't get in to the game.
LuaLua 5

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Stockdale 8 Penalty and one on one saves came at crucial times, and his distribution was good.
Bruno 4 Very poor performance, easily his worst for the club.
Greer 5 I thought that he was calm and assured but dropped deeper than the others at times, and didn't organise overly well.
Dunk 5 Marginally better than Greer but the three Birmingham goals were from his side and he wasn't as dominant as normal.
Bennett 7 Pretty good and solid game from left back, could he have done more with the last two goals? Not sure, but got forward well.
Ince 8 Absolutely outstanding. Playing with clear focus and responsibility, his partnership with Kayal is strong and balanced. Quality player.
Kayal 8 Top performance from him, he looks a real gem. He seems to trust Ince completely and have a strong understanding with him.
Calderon 7 Two cracking goals and threatened, but otherwise didn't have much impact - first half especially. Love the man.
Teixeira 10 Perfection. Played centrally in the number 10 role, everything went through him. Awesome performance.
Baldock 7 Got into good areas, made good runs and threatened. Poor finishing, exposed on the left but doing a shift.
Best 6 Poor all round performance and drifted around positionally, not really being the focal point we needed at times.

Subs
Mackail-Smith 6 Buzzed about and showed his usual grit and desire.
Stephens N/A Just getting some minutes and shaking off some rust. Ince/Kayal partnership isn't going to be broken up anytime soon.
LuaLua N/A Causes mayhem, and gets fouled.

Hughton 8 Tactically spot on today, the full backs started much deeper to support play rather than have to create it, and it suited Bennett more than Bruno. Still with license to attack but not to leave us exposed and rarely did we see Birmingham counter on us. Playing Teixeira in the free role worked a treat because it meant him finding the spaces and the areas of the pitch to be involved, where he can be effective. He made things happen and left the defending to Ince and Kayal who were spot on in their work. A very good team performance marred by sloppy goals being conceeded to take the gloss off a very deserved win on the back of a very good performance. We have the players at the club to pull away from the bottom 3 and Hughton showed today that he knows how to use them to get the job done. We need to be more switched on defensively because it's still easy to score against us at the Amex, but encouraging signs and a manager who clearly know whats happening.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Stockdale 7 One very good save, one good but lucky penalty save (it's always luck) one dreadful save in the first half pushing it out to the penalty spot very lucky to get away with it and good handling/distribution
Bruno 2 Awful, a liability
Greer 2 Awful, so slow, wouldn't look out of place in a petrified forest.
Dunk 4 Poor, allowed a player twice to turn and score.
Bennett 5 Good going forwards but can't defend
Ince 7 Good game par for him.
Kayal 8 played well
God 8 Even he makes mistakes and did by missing two chances( and the aardvark) but made amends by slotting in 2, tomorrow he shall rest
Texeira 8 Good game could have got more
Baldock 6 Good game but being a forward should do better with his chances
Best,3 Rubbish O Grady where are you?

Mackail-Smith 5 Warm up, tracksuit removed, head removed off you go.............
Stephens 4 Didn't get in to the game.
LuaLua 5

How did we win with scores like these?

Tough crowd

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here