Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

John Shepherd

Banter

Jan 4, 2015
Played for Brighton in the late 50s, what type of player was he? Any good stories or memories? I just wanted to see everyone's opinions of him so any replies would be much appreciated! Thanks! :)

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I knew John, his son Dominic and Daughter all nice people, one story I remember John telling me was I think he said it was his first game for Brighton and it was the game against Middleborogh the one that resulted in our biggest ever loss I think Brian Clough scored seven any way John told he touched the ball more times than any other Brighton player that day as he had the job of collecting the ball from the back of the net and placing back on the centre spot.

Dominic was a useful forward around sussex for many years, I used to run a bit with Johns daughter but not seen any of them for a few years

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
Never an outstanding player but hard working and worth his place at the time. Clough only got five in the first game(9-0) and four in our home game, which we lost 6-4! At the end of the season we finished above Midflesbrough!

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I, too, knew John, his wife Esther, son John and daughter Julie, who wrote a book about her dad called In and Out of the Lion's Den - he was previously at Millwall. I think his son was on the Albion's books as a junior.
I know John had knee replacement operations some years ago as he happened to be in the Nuffield when I was there.
John snr ran the youth team with Mick Fogden when they won the London Floodlit Cup back in the 80s - probably the best youth team we ever had. He ran Southwick sports centre and thrn Lancing sports centre.
A lovely man and nice family.

May 21, 2004
Preston Park
Played for Brighton in the late 50s, what type of player was he? Any good stories or memories? I just wanted to see everyone's opinions of him so any replies would be much appreciated! Thanks! :)

His daughter has written a book about him and his family - it's called "In and Out of the Lion's Den" (obviously a reference to his first club) and is a really fascinating account of a working class footballer from the 50's. It also includes a lot interesting details of the Spanish Civil War and its aftermath as his wife's family were displaced from Spain by the fighting.

You can get it on Amazon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here