Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone own a telescope?

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Being a complete beginner and wanting to focus on the nebulae and planets, I'm thinking of buying a Meade ETX 90 or 105 as they auto search
Anyone got any advice before I purchase ?

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Take it to all home games

pih5-l.jpg

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Whatever you get, tell us when you spot the Leo pen ball will ya?

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
This is going well ��

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Being a complete beginner and wanting to focus on the nebulae and planets, I'm thinking of buying a Meade ETX 90 or 105 as they auto search

Yes!

If you haven't already been, get yourself to these local guys. Friendly advice and service.

Based in Goring. http://www.sussex-astronomy-centre.co.uk/

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing

Probably not a bad idea. Have recently dusted mine off and find polar aligning tricky.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Give us a 'T'! (T!)
E! (E!)
L! (L!)
E! (E!)
S! (S!)
C! (C!)
O! (O!)
P! (P!)
E! (E!)

What's that smell?

image.jpg

Camicus

Don't get a auto align. The battery packs are bulky heavy and don't last long. Spend the money on a decent scope (none of this made in china crap) with decent firm equatorial mount. Depending on where you are using your scope and budget you might want to think about binos the field of vision is much greater but they can be bulky.pleiades.jpgThe Pleiades Cluster seen through binoculars.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

myself and my niece wanted to get into this for a while as a hobby we could both do together,i promised to buy the equipment but having looked into it i am more confused than ever especially when reflective vs refractor telescopes are thrown in.

we are complete novices and simply want to see far away stuff bigger(legitimate scientific term).I thought maybe £300 was a good starting point to get something half decent but then from online advice you get crossed messages of you are spending far too much for a novice f@ckwit to if you want to see anything decent you need the budget of NASA......annoyingly confusing.!

Camicus

Refractive V reflective telescopes. Its just a different way of gathering light to the lens. 99% of the time refractive scopes give better image quality than reflective. Reflectives tend to be smaller and more portable so once more its horses for courses. Can you see yourself lugging a massive scope up the downs? If so refractives all the way if not go for a smaller reflective. For about £350 there are some really good scopes on the market.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/startravel/skywatcher-startravel-120-eq3-2.html have a look for one of these

And you can add a motor for £75 later if you choose.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Your welcome its fascinating but a nightmare when you first start.

no crap

i read an amazon review on a telescope i thought might be a good beginner start only to come away feeling inadequate because the telescope in question was "pointless" because it didnt have autostar and an erecting prism......i have no idea what these things are let alone if they are beneficial

i will look at the link you posted more closely on another day,seems some quite good info

Camicus

no crap

i read an amazon review on a telescope i thought might be a good beginner start only to come away feeling inadequate because the telescope in question was "pointless" because it didnt have autostar and an erecting prism......i have no idea what these things are let alone if they are beneficial

i will look at the link you posted more closely on another day,seems some quite good info

An erecting prism is used with a scope to turn the image the right way up and correct the left to right flipping of the image due to the mirrors most of the time for astronomy its not a problem but for terrestrial use its a massive hassle. A autostar is a computer guided motor that finds stars and maintains them in the scope as they travel through the sky.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Some good info thanks, especially [MENTION=25286]Camicus[/MENTION]
Think I will go for an auto searching scope, seems best option for beginner

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Some good info thanks, especially @Camicus
Think I will go for an auto searching scope, seems best option for beginner

If you're going to go that route, could I suggest that you ensure that you also get one with a GPS too. There are two things that a scope has to "know" if it is going to find a particular object in the sky: where in the sky the object is, relative to other objects, and from where on Earth you are observing. Some cheaper auto-search systems only give you the former; for the latter input to be automated, it needs a GPS.

Enjoy, and good luck!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here