Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Landline help please

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
So this is the problem, I have no dial tone on my home phone. But the broadband is working fine.

I didn't think that could happen?

I have gone back to the master socket and checked the wiring and it looks ok. It was all a bit messy so I cut the cable from the extension socket and re-wired it once i found my 'crone' tool. The broadband came back on instantly but still no dial tone. There is a phone socket in the master socket so I plugged the phone straight into it but still no joy.

Anyone know what the problem might be? All phone & broadband is with SKY, I've done their online status check and all should be ok.

Thanks,

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
So this is the problem, I have no dial tone on my home phone. But the broadband is working fine.

I have gone back to the master socket and checked the wiring and it looks ok. It was all a bit messy so I cut the cable from the extension socket and re-wired it once i found my 'crone' tool. The broadband came back on instantly but still no dial tone. There is a phone socket in the master socket so I plugged the phone straight into it but still no joy.

Anyone know what the problem might be? All phone & broadband is with SKY, I've done their online status check and all should be ok.

Thanks,

Have you tried calling your landline from mobile to check if it rings etc?
Just wondering whether it's a handset or line issue.

danielson81

Nov 16, 2010
Brighton, UK
I am with Sky and same happened to me. However I never use the land line and can't be bothered to wait for a BT Openreach engineer to show up, so I have just left it!

Have you changed from ADSL to Fibre broadband recently, that's when it happened.

Otherwise ring up Sky and buy/borrow a known working phone to rule out your phone etc, as Sky will threaten you with a £115 charge if its your fault.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Try plugging another phone in socket, or borrow neighbours?

Thanks,

This

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
If you have "fibre"/"infinity" VDSL its entirely possible for a line fault between the cabinet and the exchange (or in the cabinet) to have disconnected your phone while leaving the broadband working perfectly. If this is the case, report it as a line fault without even touching the broadband help desk as usually the PSTN support are a little less idiotic...

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
If it's BT (or sky/TT etc) ADSL then it will work with one leg of the pair disconnected.
Check your broadband speed, I bet it's down to a fraction of what you usually get.

suedy

suedygull
Aug 8, 2010
burgess hill
We had the same problem a few months back.The problem turned out to be wiring outside had disintegrated over the years as the original copper wiring wasn't sealed like it is today.Regardless of who you have phone/broadband from I believe that the outside line is all dealt with by BT.Report a line fault and if it is an outside fault it will be repaired free of charge.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
If it's BT (or sky/TT etc) ADSL then it will work with one leg of the pair disconnected.
Check your broadband speed, I bet it's down to a fraction of what you usually get.

It has gone down as it happens, last time I tested it was at 9MB now it's down to 6MB, and it keeps going off momentarily about once an hour now.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
We had the same problem a few months back.The problem turned out to be wiring outside had disintegrated over the years as the original copper wiring wasn't sealed like it is today.Regardless of who you have phone/broadband from I believe that the outside line is all dealt with by BT.Report a line fault and if it is an outside fault it will be repaired free of charge.

SKY were adamant its ok, but tried BT and they confirmed there is a line fault and it is them who will sort it out free of charge. Just have to wait 3-5 days, no problem about the phone line really, as long as the broadband stays up everyone will be happy.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
SKY were adamant its ok, but tried BT and they confirmed there is a line fault and it is them who will sort it out free of charge. Just have to wait 3-5 days, no problem about the phone line really, as long as the broadband stays up everyone will be happy.

BB *should* stay up but because it's one leg dis it will be erroring and so the modems will drop the speed in an attempt to correct. Once the line is fixed, it should go back to same speed it was before.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here