Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just how good is this scene ? Titanic 1957.

Trolly Dolly

Aug 22, 2011
An excellent film, it was called A Night to Remember. Far better than the modern day trash with Kate and Leonardo. I met the director of A Night to Remember in Antigua a few years back.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Looks good.......no spoilers though please to what happens at the end.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Well that went down well.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wTKmimCrmcNothing American about this,Just decent lines and filming. :facepalm:

If that happened, and it was calculated that the weight of water into the damaged sections would cause her to tip so that subsequent sections flooded, would it have been possible to hole the other end of the ship to provide a counterbalance and stop the tipping action that flooded the rest of the ship?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If that happened, and it was calculated that the weight of water into the damaged sections would cause her to tip so that subsequent sections flooded, would it have been possible to hole the other end of the ship to provide a counterbalance and stop the tipping action that flooded the rest of the ship?

So the ship is sinking, and you make another hole at the other end of the ship to stop it sinking ?

You ARE Sami Hyypia, and I hereby claim my £5.

Being a bit of a Titanic "anorak" I wish James Cameron had done a remake of "A Night To Remember" with the modern effects available to him rather than base it round a particularly improbable love story.

You do know of course that the "Titanic" didn't sink - there is a lot on the interntet and Wikipedia that proves it - watch this it is only 45'

:)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Being a bit of a Titanic "anorak" I wish James Cameron had done a remake of "A Night To Remember" with the modern effects available to him rather than base it round a particularly improbable love story.

I tell you what, other than the love story Cameron did appear to be influenced by a huge amount from A Night to Remember, some of the scenes incredibly alike, the angle of shots, composition etc. Like you say, drop the love story and it is a remake.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
That was a very good scene indeed. The Captains realisation that the lifeboats are woefully inadequate meaning not only with hundreds lose their lives, but his life was surely over.

Will watch the rest of it :thumbsup:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
A night to remember still makes me shed a tear. Especially the Old steward who finds a child who's lost him mum and is crying in a doorway. He gives up his own chance to escape to stop and cuddle the little boy as the ship is rising up at the stern and protect him from the trampling feet of the passengers running up the deck.

It is a little scene that would be missed by many but something about him shouting " mind this child" and whispering that his mummy will be along in a minute to the boy leaves me deeply moved.

Cameron's effort on the other hand is just shit.

matbha

Apr 13, 2014
Been a Titanic buff for years even got to hug some hull plating at a museam in Orlando ,so at least some of the Titanic made it across the pond.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
My boyhood hero Kenneth "Kenny" More...aah. Blotted his Hollywood copybook by getting drunk at a party to celebrate the start of filming of "The Guns Of Navarone" where he had been cast in the star role.

Was given the famous dictum "You'll never work in films again" and struggled thereafter. If you ever see the film on TV, imagine David Niven as Kenneth More, they were good mates and I think Niven plays the part as "Kenny" would have done.

But if he hadn't lost the plot as a film actor, no legendary "Forsyte Saga". And that part was written for him to play.. shamefully in black and white though as the BBC was trying to cut costs.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Thanks for that. Never watched it, but want to now. Looks great.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
They is a clip where at 2/40 (American voice-over) where in the 1958 verison and it's the same one a young radio officer just about to turn-in,but as you would do just put the 'phones' on to listern to whats happening and he picks up the Titanic,the rest is history.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
The way the '97 film treats First Officer Murdoch still makes my blood boil.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
They is a clip where at 2/40 (American voice-over) where in the 1958 verison and it's the same one a young radio officer just about to turn-in,but as you would do just put the 'phones' on to listern to whats happening and he picks up the Titanic,the rest is history.

I've tried google translate, but it couldn't make head nor tail of this either...

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Been a Titanic buff for years even got to hug some hull plating at a museam in Orlando ,so at least some of the Titanic made it across the pond.

Saw the Titanic exhibition in Las Vegas many years back and sneaked a stroke of the massive chunk they have. Must admit tears welled up. Think they have moved that chunk to Belfast now haven't they.
Will look for the old film as it looks good, especially remastered.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here