Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Walking to work

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
Thinking about walking to work, 4.6 miles there. my grandad walked from camberwell to greenwich every day, there and back! Anyone like a good walk?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Bit far for me now I live in Newhaven (circa 10 miles), but I walked from Lewes to the Amex the other week, which was lovely and when i warms up a bit will try it from Newhaven.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Yes. Walked a lot in the UK and have started walking my youngest son to school every morning, which he complains about but it will do him good. Always wondered why people used to queue up for the underground in London when they were only going a couple of stops as it was always quicker to walk! Walked everywhere in Brighton too when I worked there - think I caught a bus once.

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
I walk from top of Mile Oak to half way along Portland Road every day to work, each way takes me 45 mins .
Not sure of the exact distance but would guess about 3 miles as I`m a fairly quick walker.
If I got the bus it would take about 25 mins.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
My rascally back bother over Christmas has meant me still unable to run or cycle, so I've taken to walking at least either to or fro. About 5 and a bit miles each way - Dalston to Kennington. Walked in this morning, but with an expected downpour this evening, it'll be covered transport back home.
My bother with it, apart from just how long it takes, is that I haven't found a quiet route. At the minute I have to battle my way through the bloated bargers that fill the city for a rotten 30 minutes of my waddle, and I'd have to add a mile or so to find a peaceful enough journey. I have little choice though. I have to have a walk whilst I cannae run - I dared try a 10 minute jog at a snail's pace the other morning, and feel the slight pain from it still.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I walk to work and back every day.

2.8 miles each way in around 40 minutes.

Good way to properly wake up before work.

Crap route though, Old Shoreham Road.. :shrug:

Hugh'sDad

Nov 29, 2011
'Ove
I walk to work and back every day.

2.8 miles each way in around 40 minutes.

Good way to properly wake up before work.

Crap route though, Old Shoreham Road.. :shrug:

Ermmm......who makes you walk along the Old Shoreham Road?....there's lots parallel where the traffic noise must be less?

Are you a geezer who doesn't like change?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Walking is one of my favourite passtimes, country or city. Exercise and fresh air. Set myself a challenge to walk 1000 miles this year which is not as difficult as it might appear ... 3 miles a day will get you there. So far this year I've walked 246 miles in 50 days, so 4.9 miles a day on average. A fascinating 10 miles yesterday: Alexandra Palace, Muswell Hill, Highgate Village, Hampstead Heath, Hampstead Village, Belsize Park, Primrose Hill, Regents Park, Baker Street.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Ermmm......who makes you walk along the Old Shoreham Road?....there's lots parallel where the traffic noise must be less?

Are you a geezer who doesn't like change?

Odd reply.

The only other option that won't add too much time onto my journey would still take me along fairly busy roads. Much of the same.

Thanks for caring though.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Yes. Walked a lot in the UK and have started walking my youngest son to school every morning, which he complains about but it will do him good. Always wondered why people used to queue up for the underground in London when they were only going a couple of stops as it was always quicker to walk! Walked everywhere in Brighton too when I worked there - think I caught a bus once.

So true regarding the underground. Can walk comfortably to most 'touristy' parts of London from Victoria/London Bridge and much better for you. The Mall is always interesting and takes you to Trafalger Square and Covent Garden.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
So true regarding the underground. Can walk comfortably to most 'touristy' parts of London from Victoria/London Bridge and much better for you. The Mall is always interesting and takes you to Trafalger Square and Covent Garden.

Agree with this. I also know several people who get off at London Bridge and then change trains to Cannon Street......about 10 mins walk away. Have walked from London Bridge to Canary Wharf a few times (about an hour mostly along the river) and used to have a lovely walk from Victoria to Berkeley Square when I worked in the West End. City to West End is a nice walk too - 60-90 mins depending on where.

Planning on running from home to the Amex at some point, about 15 miles but either need someone to take a change of clothes for me or get a better backpack :)

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I have a 25 min walk from Victoria up Park Lane to Marble Arch in the morning, this is fine as I'm not in a mega rush and usually stop somewhere for a coffee. It's the return route where I'm hacking it to get the train that I don't look forward to.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I really wish I could walk to work, but its 19 miles.

I walk pretty much every evening about 2.5 miles though, and if its dry I usually walk to the Amex for home games which is about 8.5 miles door to door. The seafront is my walking track, love doing Palace Pier to Worthing Pier of a weekend, or vice-versa. If its morning I'll do Worthing to Brighton, if its afternoon I'll do Brighton to Worthing, cos I like the SUN on my face. Headphones in, podcasts on, and I'm zoned out.

Usually finish up with couple of pints somewhere and a read of the paper. Luverly.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Hmmm... google maps reckon it would take me 19 h 53 min to walk 59.6 miles to work :lolol:

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
I walk to work in Brighton from Fiveways and make sure I do it in every cycle lane I possibly can. I figure pedestrians are just as 'green' as cyclists and besides, they're always on the pavement...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here