Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you want the words to Sussex by the Sea on the big screens before kick off?

Do you want the words to Sussex by the Sea on the big screens before kick off?

• Yes

Votes: 212 76.3%
  • No

Votes: 66 23.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
Just been to the North West Sussex Seagulls Q&A event with Paul Barber, and asked "Are the words to Sussex by the Sea going to be displayed on the big screen before kick off?". He said that the fans' opinion on this was 50/50, so this is why they're holding off doing it.

I'm not so sure it's 50/50, So here is a straightforward poll, Do you want the words to Sussex by the Sea on the big screens before kick off?

I will give this poll 1 week, and will email the results to Paul Barber.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Voted Yes, but would have voted for the 'do not mind either way' option if there had been one.

spoonie

Apr 19, 2011
As long as it's not like what Cardiff did with 'men of Harlech' booming out completely drowning out any attempt the fans had of singing along

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I voted yes but I can't see the names of the players on the screen as it is, so will have little chance with the words ... just as well that I know them

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
Getting more people involved and singing at the start could loosen up the crowd a bit and encourage us to be more vocal throughout.. Anything that could potentially have a positive effect on our players home form is worth a try.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Of course not - people should know the words to the first verse of our 1st World War club & county song - and if they don't they're obviously not keen enough on the Albion to want to sing along or create an atmosphere. That's a serious post btw - NO is the answer :)

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
c. 80% in favour at the moment is pleasing but Barber and his cronies (i.e. Paul Beirne) are such tw@ts for misreading this so badly...

People are understandably confused by thoughts of the "plasticity" associated with words on a screen at a football match but this HAS GOT NOTHING TO DO WITH THAT ISSUE

Our club is currently undergoing a transformation from homespun with the fans in touch to absolute corporate market forces bollocks and big picture economics driving...

To make full use of "Sussex By The Sea", and the original words, to foster an old fashioned pride in our club and connection to our roots is so blindingly obviously a massive opportunity it is crushingly frustrating that a Tottenham "suit" like Barber is making key decisions based on hopelessly flawed information.

Sussex By The Sea pre kick off is currently a bit crap. The away fans are barely aware it is happening or of any significance.

FFS PLEASE CAN IT BE GIVEN PROPER PRIORITY AND BE SORTED OUT?

Crucially, who are the real Brighton fans who have any influence? (apart from Tony Bloom, who I suspect is a bit of a pragmatist in personality terms and not really in tune with the more emotive feelings of the "terraces"...)

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Of course not - people should know the words to the first verse of our 1st World War club & county song - and if they don't they're obviously not keen enough on the Albion to want to sing along or create an atmosphere. That's a serious post btw - NO is the answer :)
bullshit. The majority of people who sit around me are decent Albion fans and would happily join in with "Stand or Fall" but they are not confident to as everyone else seems to be der, derring and going up to win the cup...

Get it on the screen and sort it out.

People are being paid hundreds of thousands for dubiously useful bollocks. Do one simple thing that would be massively good. Just do it.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
bullshit. The majority of people who sit around me are decent Albion fans and would happily join in with "Stand or Fall" but they are not confident to as everyone else seems to be der, derring and going up to win the cup...

Get it on the screen and sort it out.

People are being paid hundreds of thousands for dubiously useful bollocks. Do one simple thing that would be massively good. Just do it.

You don't have to sing the words if you don't want to. You can still der der der and sing 'we're going up to win the cup' - I think I may even do myself - fact is it will never be heard loudly as the music is so loud anyway so dunno why it's even an issue. Fact is though, if you want to sing he words and are an Albion fan you should know them - hardly much to 'learn' they just get picked up as most of the enthusiasts will tell you. If you can't be arsed to learn them than you obviously don't share the passion for the club that others do ( not u personally- altho calling 'bullshit' without getting the point was a bit odd)

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
You don't have to sing the words if you don't want to. You can still der der der and sing 'we're going up to win the cup' - I think I may even do myself - fact is it will never be heard loudly as the music is so loud anyway so dunno why it's even an issue. Fact is though, if you want to sing he words and are an Albion fan you should know them - hardly much to 'learn' they just get picked up as most of the enthusiasts will tell you. If you can't be arsed to learn them than you obviously don't share the passion for the club that others do ( not u personally- altho calling 'bullshit' without getting the point was a bit odd)
I get the point a hundred times over.

I reiterate. We should be singing Sussex By The Sea properly and loudly pre kick off at every home game.

It should be our "YNWA", "Bubbles", Delilah" etc moment -a set piece, hairs standing up on necks, statement to the away fans, setting the tone for vocality during the match...

The 1914-18 connection,the pride in the county, it should be magnificent.

I am willing to be wrong (I think) but I honestly struggle to understand why a true son/daughter of Sussex and Albion devotee would not be keen to make this all that it could be.

I agree that the details of acoustics and P.A. volumes are important. With the words on the screen the P.A. should cut out and let the crowd sing.

albionite

May 20, 2009
Voted yes, would of gone no a year ago but after seeing Derby do it at their place in play offs and being impressed I can only see it as a good thing.

It may slow everyone singing it so fast as well.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here