Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your family tree.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Is anyone else interested in their 'tree' ? With the help of a researcher i have been just scratching the surface but 'my' tree goes back to around 1750 ,time consuming and you need a wall to pin it all up on ! However interesting reading and want to check-up on the criminal side,as go back one hundred years plus and you could be talking The Rope or Australia ?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Good luck with that, personally I have never seen the interest in going back past my grandparents, and just don't get the need to know who was in the family centuries ago.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I can understand people wanting to research their tree from a long time go but disagree with schools doing it. One of my uncles children did this at school and there were many unanswered or rather unanswerable questions that we know the answer to but his children didnt deserve to find out. He was adopted by my grand mother as a baby but nobody, him included knew it. When he died my mother told me about it and it filled in some holes but his wife and children didnt know and couldnt fill in the blanks on the tree. It was only when my mums sister died and her son referred to her step brother that it all came out as a shock to his wife.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Mine goes back to the 1750's with very little that's exciting to be honest but some mildly interesting and informative stuff at a local history level. Amazing how quickly you rack up hundreds and then thousands of names.

I did an uncle (by marriage) tree before he died last year and was able to get a direct lineage to William of Normandy and through him to Charlemagne and to Christ. You can go back to the Garden of Eden as royal families liked to justify themselves by creating the ultimate family tree. I am told this is actually quite common (something like 10% can theoretically do so) where families in the lineage were "educated" and it looked great when I drew it up for him on a roll of wall lining paper.
All mine went back to illiterate farm workers :lolol:

Last edited:

After his appearance on Who Do You Think You Are? I followed up Gary Lineker's tales of his criminal great great grandfather with a bit of my own research that unearthed the fact that an ancestor of mine once arrested Lineker's ancestor for stealing a scythe.

There's masses of documentary evidence about all sorts of stuff now available on t'internet. Family history is a lot more than records of births, marriages and deaths.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Agricultural labourers, alcoholics and serial gamblers was as far back as my uncle could get.
Hope he enjoyed a pint and a flutter on the way back to the farm....

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
After his appearance on Who Do You Think You Are? I followed up Gary Lineker's tales of his criminal great great grandfather with a bit of my own research that unearthed the fact that an ancestor of mine once arrested Lineker's ancestor for stealing a scythe.

There's masses of documentary evidence about all sorts of stuff now available on t'internet. Family history is a lot more than records of births, marriages and deaths.

Good point,you see sometime ago whilst listerning TMS and The Ashes one of the commentators (Australian) said something like England are two wickets down having just lost Bell,incomes Anderson 'Nightwatchman' and then 'Is Anderson a tourist,or does he have Family here ?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I use ANCESTRY and have been for 3 years my family tree goes back to pre-norman conquest and a lot further if its to be believed.
the most interesting part that I am looking at now is those ancestors that emigrated to America when it was a fledgling colony, and those that were sent to Australia or hung for what would now be called pilfering.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
A member of my family has traced back to our family being descendents of dignitaries named Perkins in the Court of Richard III, so that is going back to 1485.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I like mine, especially in the last 150 years or so and the places they lived in in Brighton. Some were slum areas but no much sought after.

I do feel soprry for future generations as there are so many families made from more than one relationship. Hate the term 'half' brother/sister & even more 'step' even though I qualify as one.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I like mine, especially in the last 150 years or so and the places they lived in in Brighton. Some were slum areas but no much sought after.

Indeed. Several generations of my family lived around Great Russell Street, then an abject slum but not so now I think.
Mind you I can remember living off Lewes Rd in a house with no heating and an outside toilet. I bet if it were on the market now it would cost a pretty penny.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
My Wife done a lot of research and has put on hold until she retires as it was taking over her life. However we have many intresting connections including MPs Vicars French General in Napoleon army also O'Connor friend of Simon Bolivar who lead Irish Mercenaries who defeated the Spanish and Argies. Members of the Chartist Movement. Pretty boring tree:facepalm: oh this is only my side. However we are still crossing the T and dotting the i. as you can follow the wrong line. It can be great fun and is a lot easier now with the Internet .

Dec 15, 2014
Here
I did an uncle (by marriage) tree before he died last year and was able to get a direct lineage to William of Normandy and through him to Charlemagne and to Christ.

So literally Christ. That gives new meaning to the da vinci code and ancestry worship.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
My sister has done about 8 generations all round. Took her ages. Nothing of any great note, other than first cousins marrying each other, which explains a lot, and going back to the 1800's my father's family were heavily involved in creating the Zoer Strict Baptist Chapel in Lower Dicker. My Uncle used to tell us that we were related to a famous murderer, but nothing has been found to support this claim.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here