Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

can somebody explain.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
TB is a long standing fan who has invested millions into his club but why has he neglected the playing side. I would
have thought that would be of the utmost importance especially to a fan, so please explain to me why you think this is so as I dont understand it.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
TB is a long standing fan who has invested millions into his club but why has he neglected the playing side. I would
have thought that would be of the utmost importance especially to a fan, so please explain to me why you think this is so as I dont understand it.
i feel its to do with ffp

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
can somebody explain.
Yes, I can.

TB is a long standing fan who has invested millions into his club but why has he neglected the playing side.
He hasn't. Not only is the playing side important to TB as a fan, but it's also very important to a chairman that wants us to get promoted. You don't know which signings will come off and which won't. He thought Sami would be a success, but he wasn't. Things were going well for us, and now they're not, it's not been a deliberate move.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
We've been here before....

It's all asset-stripping, prior to selling out to a Thai politician. Or Russian petro-spiv. Or Gulf gazillionaire.

I can't remember which, but it's one of them

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
He hasn't neglected the playing side, unfortunately he was led to believe by the buffoon team of Burke and Hyypia that the playing side was sorted. He has been ill advised at worst not neglectful.

It is unfortunate he decided to employ them in the first place.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yes, I can.

He hasn't. Not only is the playing side important to TB as a fan, but it's also very important to a chairman that wants us to get promoted. You don't know which signings will come off and which won't. He thought Sami would be a success, but he wasn't. Things were going well for us, and now they're not, it's not been a deliberate move.

Granted but if we as fellow supporters can see the team is weaker than for some number of seasons surely he can Irrespective of the cock up Hypia made, they also didnt want him to leave.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

It's all asset-stripping, prior to selling out to a Thai politician. Or Russian petro-spiv. Or Gulf gazillionaire.

many a word said in jest

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Oh? I'd heard it was something to do with UKIP. Or Muslims. Or Glenn Murray.

I'm certain it's one of them.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Are you taking the piss? We are trying to abide by FFP regulations so we're not going to spend multiple millions on single players, however we still have a very competitive budget which has been decimated by Burke's ineptitude.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
It's a problem with his biorhythms. He was supposed to be up and he ended up somewhere else. Poor charts.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The answer's simple: he forgot. You know how it is, you build a multi-million pound stadium, spend more millions on a training ground, go on holiday and forget to buy a team.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
has he?

He has let the club spend more and more on the squad since moving to the Amex. I believe that he has also made money available to recruit players beyond the original budget if the player in question was worthy. Money has been available to bring in players when injury crises have hit us including bringing in players like Darren Bent from a Premier League club which won't be cheap.

Had we not missed out on several of our main targets in the last couple of seasons, maybe we would be in a much stronger position and still challenging for promotion had we not already gone up. I am referring to players like Grabben, Clayton and alike and the reason they didn't join may have had nothing to do with us, what we offered them, etc... (it could have been location as in preferring to stay up north, or that they were holding out for a big club and for much more money than their worth to us and using us as a bargaining tool)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I agree with the idea we are trying to stick to FFP but why basement bargain signings all the time. Other clubs can sign players on loan paying a portion of wages so why cant we. We have one of the largest crowds in the division and one of the highest entrance fees so our costs for The Amex must be outrageous if we cant hit FFP targets.

Last edited:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
we're not going to spend multiple millions on single players.

Thats the problem, expectation from fans in that we have a nice stadium, lots of STs and they don't understand that even with that, it doesn't add up to having the budget of a top premier league club and able to splash out multi millions on several players each transfer window.

Anything less is deemed the cheap option and used as a stick to bash the club with whilst grumbling that there must be something fundamentally wrong at the club if we are unable to do that and spreading discontent which is far more damaging to the club and it's long term aims than anything the club is doing.

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
He hasn't neglected the playing side, unfortunately he was led to believe by the buffoon team of Burke and Hyypia that the playing side was sorted. He has been ill advised at worst not neglectful.

It is unfortunate he decided to employ them in the first place.

I certainly recall prior to the start of the season, many subscribers to this board were applauding the sale of Ulloa, Buckley and others, there was a belief the club couldn't keep players of their caliber and cheaper options were needed if we were to move forward.

Would have been a good idea, but unfortunately, its failed.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Granted but if we as fellow supporters can see the team is weaker than for some number of seasons surely he can
Yes, I'm sure he can. If he could go back and keep Murray, and not buy CMS, of course he would. But at the time CMS was hot property and we thought we were onto a winner. Same goes for some other players. But he can't magically fix that.

Irrespective of the cock up Hypia made, they also didnt want him to leave.
I too am surprised how long they stuck with Sami. I don't know their reasons, but I'm sure they had them. Maybe, like you, they thought our team was weak, and it wasn't all Sami's fault. Maybe they thought Sami would leave soon enough, and save them a large chunk of cash vs sacking him :shrug:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here