Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which whisky for a beginner?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't drink whisky. I realise that is a mistake, and I'd like to right my wrongs.

Where's an easy place to start?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I don't drink whisky. I realise that is a mistake, and I'd like to right my wrongs.

Hi Triggaaar,
Suggest you buy a half bottle of something like Bells or Grants blended whisky to see, whether or not, you can abide the stuff and take it from there.If you like it neat, or with a little water, so far so good.If you can't stand it or can only take it with coca-cola or something,then stick with that (or give up). If you do like it, then you can try any number of malt whiskies and experiment with a few to find what sort suits you.As you probably know,their type and taste are many and varied.
Good luck!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Good luck!
Thank you for the wishes and considered reply. It's a serious subject that warrants serious advice.

Suggest you buy a half bottle of something like Bells or Grants blended whisky to see, whether or not, you can abide the stuff and take it from there.
I didn't like olives, so I just kept eating them until I liked them. It didn't take long and now I love them. I figure I should just keep drinking whisky until I like it.

Is Scotch whisky any easier or harder to get used to than Irish or American?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
A single malt will, to nearly every palate, be nicer than a blend. But considerably more expensive. If you want to try a single malt, I'd start with a Speyside. There are two basic types: light and slightly grassy (e.g. Glenlivet) or somewhat richer, often with a sherry-like undertone (e.g. Macallan). After that, you can either stay within Speyside, sampling all the variants with their distinctive differences or go further afield into other regions. The world's your lobster, really.

EDIT: oh - don't ever mix a single malt with coke or ginger ale. In fact, don't mix it with anything other than a little water or, if you must, a little ice. Seriously, just don't.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Start Speyside, which are a bit more approachable. My favourite is probably Singleton... Then move on to a Highland with a little more peat, my favourite being Dalwhinnie, then move onto a smokie island whisky - Talisker. If you want really hardcore, Laphroaig.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Dalwhinnie , smooth and not too strong tasting

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
A single malt will, to nearly every palate, be nicer than a blend. But considerably more expensive. If you want to try a single malt, I'd start with a Speyside. There are two basic types: light and slightly grassy (e.g. Glenlivet) or somewhat richer, often with a sherry-like undertone (e.g. Macallan). After that, you can either stay within Speyside, sampling all the variants with their distinctive differences or go further afield into other regions. The world's your lobster, really.

EDIT: oh - don't ever mix a single malt with coke or ginger ale. In fact, don't mix it with anything other than a little water or, if you must, a little ice. Seriously, just don't.
A little water is fine but ice? NOOOOOO! You've got to warm it in your palm like brandy and inhale the aromas, not cool it!

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
A little water is fine but ice? NOOOOOO! You've got to warm it in your palm like brandy and inhale the aromas, not cool it!

Well, I didn't want to be tooooo prescriptive to a newbie; you'll note that I prefaced the ice comment with "if you must". I offered ice simply as an additional option, and you have to admit it's a damn sight better than coke or ginger ale....?

Nah, sod it. You're right.

Triggaaar - no ice either, I'm afraid. Notters is right.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Thank you for the wishes and considered reply. It's a serious subject that warrants serious advice.

I didn't like olives, so I just kept eating them until I liked them. It didn't take long and now I love them. I figure I should just keep drinking whisky until I like it.

Scotch is generally drier I would say (someone correct me if I'm wrong) but I much prefer it. Irish and American whiskies taste more like poorly made rum to me.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I first got the taste after a Auchentoshan Three Wood, smooth, amazing flavour, great place to start. Balvenie Double Wood also worth a look (a tipple of Roy Grace no less!).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'd start with a Speyside. There are two basic types: light and slightly grassy (e.g. Glenlivet) or somewhat richer, often with a sherry-like undertone (e.g. Macallan).
Not a fan of Sherry - that's what red wine tastes like if it's gone off. So light and slightly grassy it is.

Start Speyside, which are a bit more approachable. My favourite is probably Singleton...
So Speyside it is (never heard of it). Ok, Googled it - lots to choose from.

I'd go down the pub and go along the 'top shelf'. There is a whisky shop in East St, Brighton where I'm sure the owner would love to give you some advice.
Ooh, that sounds nice. I never go to the pub anymore, but as it happens, the kids are away and I'm off to a pub quiz tonight, so might as well get started. The shop in East Street sounds like a winner, but it would probably be wasted on me until I'm a little used to the taste.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Scotch is generally drier I would say (someone correct me if I'm wrong) but I much prefer it. Irish and American whiskies taste more like poorly made rum to me.
American whisky is generally distilled once, Scotch twice and Irish three times.

Personally I prefer Irish as it tends to be a little smoother. And yes, no fecking ice!

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Depends what you want. Scotch or bourbon? I'm a bourbon man myself so stuff like Jack Daniels and Southern Comfort are good places to start. From there you can move up to stuff like Maker's Mark, Woodford Reserve and Gentleman Jack

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

It is a personal thing really.
I am not a huge fan of Irish Whiskey,although I wouldn't say no to one.Bourbon and the like can be easier to get used to and in my house,the offspring tend to mix Jack Daniels with coke(the drink!!).....Not to my taste,but they like it.
If you are going to have a go with whisky, perhaps stick to Scottish whisky to start with.There are certainly plenty to try.

P.S.My eldest son was studying at uni in Tokyo and brought me back a couple of bottles of Japanese Malt.Very good they were too.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Er, that makes it sounds like I'd find the Irish and American whiskeys easier to drink ???

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here