Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Excel Experts

twiggles

Feb 14, 2014
https://support.office.com/en-za/article/CONCATENATE-function-3003a5c0-d96e-4279-b475-167975cd42cb

Could help?

Description

The CONCATENATE function joins up to 255 text strings into one text string. The joined items can be text, numbers, cell references, or a combination of those items. For example, if your worksheet contains a person's first name in cell A1 and the person's last name in cell B1, you can combine the two values in another cell by using the following formula:

=CONCATENATE(A1," ",B1)

Edit: You would need: =CONCATENATE(A1,";",B1)

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
A crude way

Assuming your email addresses are in column A. In column B put

=A1 & ";"

Then copy the formula down column B

Then you can just copy column B if you don't mind having a line break between each email address. Alternatively you can use CONCATENATE(B1, B2, B3....) although annoyingly you need to select each cell.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm not sure you ned to put them all into a single string. Try this...

(Assuming emails are in column A)

1. In B1 enter =A1&";"
2. Copy that down the whole of column B as far as your email addresses go (double click the bottom right corner of cell B1)
3. Select column B
4. Copy column B
5. Switch to your email programme.
6. Paste

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Copy and paste the column into Word (paste special > unformatted). It should appear with each email address on a separate line (paragraph return), or with a space between them.

Then do find>replace, with the subject of "find" either a space, or a paragraph return or both (depending on how it's ended up formatted), and the subject of the replace being ";"

Copy and paste the result into the "to" field of your email.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Copy and paste the column into Word (paste special > unformatted). It should appear with each email address on a separate line (paragraph return), or with a space between them.

Then do find>replace, with the subject of "find" either a space, or a paragraph return or both (depending on how it's ended up formatted), and the subject of the replace being ";"

Copy and paste the result into the "to" field of your email.

How I was going to answer the OPs problem.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Best way to go would be the Concatenate formula as mentioned above.

One of the most simple and useful forumlas in Excel.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I'm not sure you ned to put them all into a single string. Try this...

(Assuming emails are in column A)

1. In B1 enter =A1&";"
2. Copy that down the whole of column B as far as your email addresses go (double click the bottom right corner of cell B1)
3. Select column B
4. Copy column B
5. Switch to your email programme.
6. Paste

:goal: Back of the net. Good work Bozza I assumed you needed them to be in a row to copy and paste into the e mail

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
If it's Outlook you don't need the ';' anyway do you? I regularly copy a column of email addresses into the 'To:' field and then click into the body text of the email and Outlook inserts all the ';''s automagically (although maybe they have to be in a contact group first possibly).

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If it's Outlook you don't need the ';' anyway do you? I regularly copy a column of email addresses into the 'To:' field and then click into the body text of the email and Outlook inserts all the ';''s automagically (although maybe they have to be in a contact group first possibly).

thats my thought, as long as the email is fully qualified, it will recognise and seperate each address. without the whole address its going to need more than just the ; anyway.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here