Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tottenham Hotspur stadium order unlawful, firm claims

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
A business standing in the way of Spurs' £400m stadium redevelopment has claimed that an invalid compulsory purchase order (CPO) is being used to force it out, the High Court has heard.

Archway Sheet Metal Works, in Paxton Road, Tottenham, has asked a judge to quash the order.

If it is quashed, it could delay the new 56,000 capacity stadium.

In November, a fire gutted the premises, which is yards from the White Hart Lane ground in north London.

'Bomb threats'

Mr Justice Dove has been told by Archway lawyers the police are currently "investigating the cause of arson".

The owners said they had received "bomb threats".

Josif Josif, 46, who runs the family business, said at the time of the fire: "People were calling us and threatening us and we were receiving bomb threats and that started a few months ago, but we don't know if that's got anything to do with it."

Anyone who uses bomb threats loses all respect, shame on you Spurs

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
forcing people off land is rather the point of a CPO isnt it? they want more money, im sure the owner said as much a while ago.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells

Crikey, you say that like a bomb threat is a regular occurance. I wouldn't imagine anyone from 'Spurs' would be behind it. As for fires damaging property, what about our very own South Stand at The Goldstone, that was more than a little suspicious, wasn't it?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can't Spurs just build round it?

That's what would happen in Germany.

A049-00654_The_A100_motorway_is_built_around_a_1910_built_house_Rattenburg_Berlin_Germany_aerial.jpg

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
From what I can recall of the plans, the Spurs proposal looks like a modern take on a traditional football ground, with steeply tiered stands dropping right down to pitchside and a brilliant kop behind one goal. Less Wembley-like than The elegant Emirates but I know which I'd prefer.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
A business standing in the way of Spurs' £400m stadium redevelopment has claimed that an invalid compulsory purchase order (CPO) is being used to force it out, the High Court has heard.

Archway Sheet Metal Works, in Paxton Road, Tottenham, has asked a judge to quash the order.

If it is quashed, it could delay the new 56,000 capacity stadium.

In November, a fire gutted the premises, which is yards from the White Hart Lane ground in north London.

'Bomb threats'

Mr Justice Dove has been told by Archway lawyers the police are currently "investigating the cause of arson".

The owners said they had received "bomb threats".

Josif Josif, 46, who runs the family business, said at the time of the fire: "People were calling us and threatening us and we were receiving bomb threats and that started a few months ago, but we don't know if that's got anything to do with it."

Yes, shame on everyone to do with Spurs.

99% of supporters condone people who used bomb threats, I imagine the same amount who did against death threats by Albion fans to previous owners?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I know I'll probably be in a minority of one but IMHO using a CPO on behalf of a private company which turnsover millions is a bit of a corruption of process. If the Metal Works owners want £x and Spurs are unwilling to pay it then that's Spurs problem, it shouldn't result in a CPO.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
happens in England too. Thats a farm house in-between the East and West bound lanes of the M62

Wasn't left there due to CPO concerns, was because the carriageways are different heights due to the terrain and they didn't need to knock it. Think there's a house stranded between bits of the M22 in Ballymena for the same reason.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
Wasn't left there due to CPO concerns, was because the carriageways are different heights due to the terrain and they didn't need to knock it. Think there's a house stranded between bits of the M22 in Ballymena for the same reason.

I always thought it was because the farm/landowner stubbornly refused to sell so they had to build around the land with access roads for him.

Frampler

Aug 25, 2011
Eastbourne
I know I'll probably be in a minority of one but IMHO using a CPO on behalf of a private company which turnsover millions is a bit of a corruption of process. If the Metal Works owners want £x and Spurs are unwilling to pay it then that's Spurs problem, it shouldn't result in a CPO.

I agree. This is a commercial matter, government (local or national) shouldn't be issuing CPOs so that Spurs can demolish a perfectly functional ground and replace it with a larger one that enables them to make more money. If Spurs didn't have a home in the Borough already, I'd be more sympathetic.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Correct. Stott Hall Farm (aka Little house on the prairie) was left as it was, because of landslips during the construction of the M62. It isn't stranded as the tenant has tunnels under the carriageways to see to the sheep.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here