Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cider Brewing

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Evenin' fine denizens of NSC, I'm hoping to gain some knowledge and this is (worryingly) the first place that came to mind (after Google, obviously).

I've been looking at trying to create some sort of homebrew cider but I haven't the slightest idea how I would go about it. For clarity, I don't want to do it using one of the kits that you can buy, instead I'd want to do it 'properly' if it's at all practical (in terms of space, cost etc.).

As mentioned, I've given Google a go and have (unsurpisingly) gotten some simlar yet ultimately conflicting information so, if there's anyone on here with some idea on what's involved or where to start I'd appreciate a pointer or two, even if it just; 'lots of effort, not practical, give it up'.

Thanks all...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
unless you have a crusher, press and a large supply of free fall apples (and unlikly any this time of year), pretty impractical to do it properly. you could probably fashion a crush and press with a bucket, hessian sack, heavy impliments and some brute force squeezeing. but might be better off with using tesco value apple juice given the appale availablity problem.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
A friend of mine looked into it a while back. The cost of the apple press put him right off.

I have to admit the cost of the whole endeavour has the potential to completely drive me away but without having an idea of everything I'd initially need I'll never know. Sometimes I feel Google is actually worse for this sort of thing as instead of a clear answer you get several different ones. Gah.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
unless you have a crusher, press and a large supply of free fall apples (and unlikly any this time of year), pretty impractical to do it properly. you could probably fashion a crush and press with a bucket, hessian sack, heavy impliments and some brute force squeezeing. but might be better off with using tesco value apple juice given the appale availablity problem.

Oh I'm more than happy to wait until the time of year is better suited, I've been mulling this over for a while as it is so a bit longer won't hurt.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Apple pips contain a small amount of cyanide, cider contains a lot of apples. Careful with those pips!

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Oh I'm more than happy to wait until the time of year is better suited, I've been mulling this over for a while as it is so a bit longer won't hurt.

then you have time to save for the press, or fashion somthing. they are quite a simple device if you know the sort of person to have bits of iron/steel, welder and a long screw (oo, er). i recall someone tell me you can use a car jack: im not sure if this is taking one of those scissor jobs apart or using a hydraulic jack to push up into a frame. sounds like fun either way.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Evenin' fine denizens of NSC, I'm hoping to gain some knowledge and this is (worryingly) the first place that came to mind (after Google, obviously).

I've been looking at trying to create some sort of homebrew cider but I haven't the slightest idea how I would go about it. For clarity, I don't want to do it using one of the kits that you can buy, instead I'd want to do it 'properly' if it's at all practical (in terms of space, cost etc.).

As mentioned, I've given Google a go and have (unsurpisingly) gotten some simlar yet ultimately conflicting information so, if there's anyone on here with some idea on what's involved or where to start I'd appreciate a pointer or two, even if it just; 'lots of effort, not practical, give it up'.

Thanks all...

Enjoy :thumbsup:

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
how to make a press... using wood, some bolts and a car jack. oh the joy of tinterwebs. and lets not hear anything against Jamie for bring us such enlightenment.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
how to make a press... using wood, some bolts and a car jack. oh the joy of tinterwebs. and lets not hear anything against Jamie for bring us such enlightenment.

I have a homemade one of those in my garage.... it woks well.

I've made a few homebrew ciders, from turbo cider from supermarket apple juice, through kits to stuff made from pressed apples (from my press).

Interestingly, the best I made was a variation on turbo cider.

I'll find the recipe and post it on here.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
As said above Middle farm can turn apples into cider for you. Take your fruit along then go back later and pick up a keg of cider.
I am sure I read last time I was there, that they also offer cider making courses.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I have a homemade one of those in my garage.... it woks well.

I've made a few homebrew ciders, from turbo cider from supermarket apple juice, through kits to stuff made from pressed apples (from my press).

Interestingly, the best I made was a variation on turbo cider.

I'll find the recipe and post it on here.

That'd be grand, thank you. I've had some made by kits (not by me though) and wasn't too impressed, hence the press route (if possible).

As said above Middle farm can turn apples into cider for you. Take your fruit along then go back later and pick up a keg of cider.
I am sure I read last time I was there, that they also offer cider making courses.

I knew neither of these things!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Living next door to Middle Farm, I've never seen the point of brewing my own.

They will crush yer apples. Bung the crushed apples, lots of sugar in a dustbin and wait. Indoors and you will smell like a brewery.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
This is from memory - O don't have my notes to hand:

The problem with normal apple juice is they lack the correct levels of acidity and tannin that you find in proper cider apples, and that's what gives the cider it's distinctive 'bite'.

So, in an attempt to adjust, this is my recipe - all ingredients per gallon demijohn (so multiply up if needed).

Ideally use freshly squeezed apple juice, as you can control the type of apple you use, but that's of course costly and time consuming, so the cheap alternative is:

4.5 litres Supermarket apple juice - any should suffice, as long as it's not 'long life' as this tends to contain preservatives, which will inhibit fermentation - Lidl do a good juice for this, but look out for promotions.

Initially don't fill the demijohn to the top - 2/3 of the way will be a wise place to stop, as the initial ferment can be rather vigorous and foamy!

As the juice isn't from cider apples, to get something more authentic I add the following:

A large cup of very strong tea (a couple of tea bags stewed for 5 minutes) - this adds the missing tannin and improves the bite. The alternative would be to add wine tannin (available at homebrew shops etc).

The juice from a Bramley cooking apple - this adds necessary acids - as 'drinking' apple juice will be low in acidity to make it 'pleasant' to drink. Once again, you can use winemaking acids (Citric, Tartric, Malic) to adjust. (Search online for Acid Blend in Cider for more info)

Sugar - depending upon how strong you want the cider, you might want to add additional sugars to ferment. (It's worth measuring the specific gravity of the juice beforehand to ensure you're not making it too strong, as the alcohol can reduce the flavour, especially at higher levels.

If you are adding sugar, you could simple use dessert sugar, or brewing sugar, which is designed for brewing. However, to attempt to incorporate additional flavour you might want to use honey (dissolved in a little of the juice), particularly those with distinctive aromas.

Finally, I'd add a little yeast nutrient (to feed the yeast once added) - add and mix in (shake the vessel will suffice).

So, you now have a demijohn about 2/3 full with juice. I'd measure the gravity at this stage, to determine the potential alcohol content, but as long as you haven't gone made with extra sugar you'll be fine not doing so.

Now you sprinkle on some yeast. There are many yeast available from bread yeast to a number of wine yeasts. You can buy yeasts sold as Cider Yeasts as well. I'd avoid bread yeasts, as these produce more CO2 and less alcohol than those designed for brewing.

Once you added the yeast, with you hand over the opening, give the demijohn a vigorous shake, stopper the top with some cotton wool and put in a warm place.

The yeast should get going quite quickly, and within 24 hours you should have a foamy head on the liquid. This may fill up the entire vessel, hence using cotton wool and not an airlock at this stage.

Once it calms down you can:

1. Add an airlock to aid sterility.
2. Start to top up the liquid with the remaining apple juice, until eventually you will have a demijohn full to the neck.

Once fermentation ceases (no bubbles through airlock) you can either bottle into primed bottles (1 level teaspoon of sugar per 1/2 litre bottle) or rack into a clean vessel to get it off the lees, allow any remaining sediment to settle and THEN bottle as above (this is the limit the sediment deposit in the finished cider).

[If you don't like dry cider, you may want to add some non-fermentable sugars at this stage - so any of the artificial sweeteners can be used - or alternatively mix the poured drink with some apple juice when you drink it]

Once the primed bottle is full (make sure you use bottle that are designed to contain sparkling drinks) give it a shake to dissolve the sugar and place in a warm place to kick-off the small fermentation to provide the sparkle.

I bottle at least a small percentage in plastic bottles to allow me to judge this fermentation by squeezing the bottle.

Once this has completed, store in a cool, dark place to allow all sediment to settle out.

You can then chill, open and enjoy. (leaving for a few months will improve the flavour).

[There are other things you can do, such as to allow a Malo-Lactic fermentation to convert Malic Acid into softer Lactic Acid, but that's just showing off]

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
that all said, using proper apple juice from pressing is much better, but I'd suggest you'd still need to adjust the acidity / tannin levels, unless you're lucky enough to have access to some proper cider apple varieties, you can at least start to get the right mix.

This page gives some info on the varieties often used in cider production, and the general blend used

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/scrumpy/cider/ciderapp.htm

I need to make some cider ready for the summer now :)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here