Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paddy plays a part in cultured Albion signing Kayal [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Paddy McCourt has become a peripheral figure at Albion.
He spent time in Asia during the January transfer window trying to sort out his future.
The enigmatic Northern Ireland international playmaker's impact has been marginal on the pitch but off it he has made a valuable contribution to the Seagulls' fight for Championship survival.
McCourt, in spite of his own frustrating experience, acted as a cheerleader for the club when they were signing Beram Kayal and he has been helping his former Celtic team-mate to settle in.
Kayal, who made his full debut at Cardiff last week and also started Saturday's game at Sheffield Wednesday, said: "I called him before I signed and he gave me plenty of good advice.
"He was very positive about the club and told me how good the fans were and also how nice the city is. He's been a big help since I came here."
The capture of Arab Israeli Kayal, a practising Muslim who speaks Arabic and Hebrew, brings a new cultural dimension to the dressing room in tandem with the boost to Chris Hughton's midfield options.
The 26-year-old, fluent in English as well after the four-and-a-half seasons he spent in Glasgow, said: "People on the outside don't really understand what goes on in day-to-day life in Israel, they only see what's on the news, but I had a great life when I was younger.
"I have Arabic and Jewish friends and we live together without any problems. I also played for the Israel national team so it's not been a problem for me.
"A few Arab players have played for Israel, but in the last few years I have been the only one who has played regularly in games.

"It's a picture we need to show to the world more often, because we can live together and enjoy life. Sport too can bring Arabs, Jews, all different religions and races together.
"I've also seen that integration in Brighton already - it's a very multicultural city. It's going to be a nice place for my family and me to live."

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here