Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Afternoon tea...

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Always take half an hour for afternoon tea at 3:45. Today I had my usual two cup pot of Irish tea, but substituted my smoked salmon and cucumber sandwiches for cheese and crackers with home made Kashmir Chutney, thought it might be a bit heavy but it worked delightfully as an afternoon tea.

So, to the more refined amongst us, do you take afternoon tea and how do you take it? New ideas always welcome .

matildaseagull

Aug 12, 2003
Good Old Sussex
Usually grab an instant coffee from the staffroom, but half term this week so indulged in real coffee and a slice of Victoria sponge. Don't really like tea much.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My afternoon tea usually consists of cup of tea with either Bakewell tart or Vieniesse Whirl but had neither so today it was 3 ginger nuts and 2 fingers of shortbread.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
My afternoon tea usually consists of cup of tea with either Bakewell tart or Vieniesse Whirl but had neither so today it was 3 ginger nuts and 2 fingers of shortbread.

Ah, you like the sweet tea. I'm a savoury man myself but each have their considerable merits.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Ok, probably daft question but is 'Afternoon Tea' a thing in itself (so some tea and food of some sort) or does it refer solely to a small snack at that time of day?

Presumably having a mars bar with tea, at the designated time, wouldn't count?

Edit; And just what the hell is 'High Tea' (no stoner type jokes please) when it's at home?

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Yorkshire Tea for me with either slice of cake or a couple of Mcvities milk chocolate digestives...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am a savoury man generally but was always brought up that tea was a cuppa and cake usually homemade and old habits die hard. The bakewell tarts are usually home made but the whirls are usually Mr Kipling.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Ok, probably daft question but is 'Afternoon Tea' a thing in itself (so some tea and food of some sort) or does it refer solely to a small snack at that time of day?

Presumably having a mars bar with tea, at the designated time, wouldn't count?
Edit; And just what the hell is 'High Tea' (no stoner type jokes please) when it's at home?

A high tea is usually taken by the upper classes between 5 and 7 pm. It's a light meal, usually hot or cold meats, or fish with some breads and chutneys. The family would have a much larger, sprawling meal later in the evening at about 9 and high tea tides you over until the formal supper. The name comes from something that is well advanced, ie the afternoon is well advanced or "high".

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
At work I usually brew up a mug of Irish tea using my loose leaf diffuser between 3:30 and 4:00pm. If I'm feeling cheeky I'll have this with a small flapjack or similar. At home I tend to go for a two-cup pot of a home-prepared afternoon blend, a mix of Darjeeling and a decent Ceylon being my favourite, with a slice of cake or a pastry. Afternoon tea is one of life's great pleasures.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Alas I don't live the life of leisure I would like so a proper afternoon tea is a rare treat.
Today I missed lunch but got home for an afternoon tea of a classic builders brew and some sag paneer and rice. Sag paneer home made by me with home made paneer.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I am lucky that I can choose the order of my day to some extent, I have no children and am self employed, so although I can afford to take a daily tea I far from live a leisurely life, I take no formal lunch and regularly finish my work at anything from 9,10,11 or even midnight and beyond depending on the general ebb and flow of the working day. But on most days I do insist on an half hour for tea and sandwiches at 3:45. We must all have our rituals.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am lucky that I can choose the order of my day to some extent, I have no children and am self employed, so although I can afford to take a daily tea I far from live a leisurely life, I take no formal lunch and regularly finish my work at anything from 9,10,11 or even midnight and beyond depending on the general ebb and flow of the working day. But on most days I do insist on an half hour for tea and sandwiches at 3:45. We must all have our rituals.

I once worked for a chap who had similar rituals and turned his phone etc off at 6.00pm watched the BBC News then had his dinner and then went back to his desk switching phone etc on at 7, 30.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I once worked for a chap who had similar rituals and turned his phone etc off at 6.00pm watched the BBC News then had his dinner and then went back to his desk switching phone etc on at 7, 30.

Ah, I do a similar thing. It seems to work for me.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here