Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Theatre 2015

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Well, why not?

I went to see Alan Bennett's The History Boys at the Theatre Royal on Saturday afternoon, thus avoiding having to listen to the Albion game on the radio. Did anyone else see this?

Excellent cast, great direction, and a really moving play - recently voted Britain's favourite, apparently. It really was very, very good.

I love the Theatre Royal - we are so lucky to have such a beautiful old theatre in our town. Next up, Peter James' Dead Simple on Saturday 28th (thus avoiding Bolton away).

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Well, why not?

I went to see Alan Bennett's The History Boys at the Theatre Royal on Saturday afternoon, thus avoiding having to listen to the Albion game on the radio. Did anyone else see this?

Excellent cast, great direction, and a really moving play - recently voted Britain's favourite, apparently. It really was very, very good.

I love the Theatre Royal - we are so lucky to have such a beautiful old theatre in our town. Next up, Peter James' Dead Simple on Saturday 28th (thus avoiding Bolton away).

Saw one man two guvenors last month, very good and funny. Next up is also Peter James Dead Simple, on 26th Feb.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
DV8's "John". Highly recommended, Not for the shockable.

I hope they bring this to Germany.

As an aside, Lloyd Newson is the brother-in-law of a poster on this site. I'll let him reveal himself if he so chooses.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I hope they bring this to Germany.

As an aside, Lloyd Newson is the brother-in-law of a poster on this site. I'll let him reveal himself if he so chooses.

It's not an entirely coherent piece as it has a split narrative which doesn't really work (they should have abandoned the sauna stuff and just carried on with John) but despite its faults it's a fantastic piece of work..

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Saw one man two guvenors last month, very good and funny. Next up is also Peter James Dead Simple, on 26th Feb.

Saw that too and sat in the front row. Spent the entire show worried I would be picked on. Great live band and good entertainment though,

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Well, why not?

I went to the evening performance that day, I think I saw a different play ? I do not go to the theatre often if at all and this was my first visit to the Theatre Royal and also my first experience of an Alan Bennett play. Overall it was very underwhelming and weak. I wasn't sure if it was an attempt at a comedy,a drama or a comedy drama, it failed on all three counts. I had no empathy with any of the characters although they acted well I could not grasp the significance of most of the dialogue especially when the whole cast started gibbering on in French.

One of the " Boy's " seemed to be a camp incarnation of a young Alan Bennett with a whiney Northern accent delivering meaningless little rambles to the audience. If ever they do a stage show of It 'Aint half Hot Mum he will be a shoe in for Gunner 'Gloria' Beaumont .

I didn't know what to expect as I had not read the book or seen the film but expected to be entertained at least. There seemed to be no message contained within the play and within about 20 minutes I knew I was in for a long evening. I have not been this disappointed since being treated to a " surprise " trip to the West End to see Starlight Express, for the uninitiated, this involves the cast going around the stage on roller skates wearing train shaped helmets, singing " I'm a Steam Train " " I'm a Diesel Train "I'm an Electric Train ".
Finally there were some strange sexual references in the play which were quite distasteful, is Alan Bennett gay or been the victim of abuse at some point in his school days ? was this autobiographical ? It certainly wasn't funny. I felt awkward for the "Boy " who had to deliver these lines.

It seems that this has been voted Britain's Favourite Play, if so,I shan't be venturing out to another Bennett play as I would hate to see an average one after sitting through this.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Well, why not?

Blouse!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Seriously though, I have issues with the Theatre Royal. In no way would I want to see it disappear as it is a beautiful building. Unfortunately it is in no way fit for purpose in the 21st century. Compared to spaces like the Chichester Festival Theatre (which I wish would attract a more diverse crowd, but never will) it is woefully out of date both back stage and front of house. Even the old Gardner Arts Centre was a better space.

As for the History Boys, it's a quality script. It's major flaw is, in my view, its author. Alan Bennett has a very quintessential view of England based upon his own prejudices of what the country means to him. It can all be very charming (edit, and by charming I refer to a slightly cocooned view of the world, tea, buns, lovely Yorkshire towns, nice polite homeless people, and not the very real prejudice he would have suffered), but every now and then it grates against me.

That said, when I saw it last (not at Brighton, so I can't comment), I did enjoy it immensely.

PS why weren't you watching the rugby?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I went to the evening performance that day, I think I saw a different play ? I do not go to the theatre often if at all and this was my first visit to the Theatre Royal and also my first experience of an Alan Bennett play. Overall it was very underwhelming and weak. I wasn't sure if it was an attempt at a comedy,a drama or a comedy drama, it failed on all three counts. I had no empathy with any of the characters although they acted well I could not grasp the significance of most of the dialogue especially when the whole cast started gibbering on in French.

One of the " Boy's " seemed to be a camp incarnation of a young Alan Bennett with a whiney Northern accent delivering meaningless little rambles to the audience. If ever they do a stage show of It 'Aint half Hot Mum he will be a shoe in for Gunner 'Gloria' Beaumont .

I didn't know what to expect as I had not read the book or seen the film but expected to be entertained at least. There seemed to be no message contained within the play and within about 20 minutes I knew I was in for a long evening. I have not been this disappointed since being treated to a " surprise " trip to the West End to see Starlight Express, for the uninitiated, this involves the cast going around the stage on roller skates wearing train shaped helmets, singing " I'm a Steam Train " " I'm a Diesel Train "I'm an Electric Train ".
Finally there were some strange sexual references in the play which were quite distasteful, is Alan Bennett gay or been the victim of abuse at some point in his school days ? was this autobiographical ? It certainly wasn't funny. I felt awkward for the "Boy " who had to deliver these lines.

It seems that this has been voted Britain's Favourite Play, if so,I shan't be venturing out to another Bennett play as I would hate to see an average one after sitting through this.

Other than that, you enjoyed it?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There seemed to be no message contained within the play

You really had drifted off, hadn't you?

Like you, I am however bemused that it's been voted Britain's favourite play: I don't even think it's Bennett's best and it certainly wouldn't make my top 50. But then, I can't see why The Shawshank Redemption is such a popular play, so what do I know about the general public and their taste?

scotjem

Oct 25, 2003
Glasgow
Next up, Peter James' Dead Simple on Saturday 28th (thus avoiding Bolton away).

Curious to hear what that's like - think its due here in May. Doesn't seem like the most obvious book to put on the stage.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
You really had drifted off, hadn't you?

Like you, I am however bemused that it's been voted Britain's favourite play: I don't even think it's Bennett's best and it certainly wouldn't make my top 50. But then, I can't see why The Shawshank Redemption is such a popular play, so what do I know about the general public and their taste?

I'm honestly not a big fan of Theatre but plug away from time to time and have got lucky and seen some good performances. I saw two plays by the same playwright performed in the little theatre above The Open House and they were both amazing and engrossing. I managed to see Brannagh's performance of the Scottish play that was performed on screen from a live link up which was very memorable plus last year saw " Hat's Off to Laurel and Hardy ", another great performance. I suppose my luck was due to change.

I genuinely drifted off for a while as I just did not care, is that my fault or the fault of the cast/ play I wonder ?

Lush

Mods' Pet

Lucky you didn't go and see Arcadia the week before.

The Theatre Royal is a beautiful old building. Unfortunately it's also a dreadfully uncomfortable place to watch theatre and doesn't really allow for very innovative productions.

I wish we had something like Chichester's smaller Minerva Theatre in Brighton. Saying that, some of the best stuff I've seen has been at the New Venture Theatre off Western Rd. They'e doing Peter Schaffer (of Amadeus fame)'s Black Comedy soon as part of a double bill. It's a HOOT and will only cost you £8 to get in.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Seriously though, I have issues with the Theatre Royal. In no way would I want to see it disappear as it is a beautiful building. Unfortunately it is in no way fit for purpose in the 21st century. Compared to spaces like the Chichester Festival Theatre (which I wish would attract a more diverse crowd, but never will) it is woefully out of date both back stage and front of house. Even the old Gardner Arts Centre was a better space.

As for the History Boys, it's a quality script. It's major flaw is, in my view, its author. Alan Bennett has a very quintessential view of England based upon his own prejudices of what the country means to him. It can all be very charming (edit, and by charming I refer to a slightly cocooned view of the world, tea, buns, lovely Yorkshire towns, nice polite homeless people, and not the very real prejudice he would have suffered), but every now and then it grates against me.

That said, when I saw it last (not at Brighton, so I can't comment), I did enjoy it immensely.

PS why weren't you watching the rugby?

I took the missus to Chi Festival Theatre on Valentine's day to see The King's Speech. Jason Donovan played the Australian speech therapist Lionel Logie. Donovan was very good as was the whole cast. I disagree Chi Festival fails to attract a diverse crowd as me & Mrs *Gullsworth* are diverse and we enjoyed the play immensely. :cool:

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Saw "Birdsong" based the Sebastian Faulks book. Haven't read the book but the play was excellent.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I took the missus to Chi Festival Theatre on Valentine's day to see The King's Speech. Jason Donovan played the Australian speech therapist Lionel Logie. Donovan was very good as was the whole cast. I disagree Chi Festival fails to attract a diverse crowd as me & Mrs *Gullsworth* are diverse and we enjoyed the play immensely. :cool:

You are the world.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Other than that, you enjoyed it?

To coin an apt line for you, " Rubbish " !

Edit, I mean your avatar, not you personally.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here