Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scotland v New Zealand (Cricket WC)

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Can Scotland follow the great start of The Irish ?

Will be keeping an eye out for Sussex and North Stand season ticket holder Matt Machan.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Almost certainly not, as New Zealand are far more competent than the West Indies.

I know they used to regularly thrash us, but does anybody else find it a bit sad the way the West Indies have declined over the years? I mean with no real obvious sign of getting back to anywhere near their previous level. Teams do go through cycles of form, but are they ever going to discover players like Marshall, Richards, Ambrose, Holding, Walsh, Lara, Lloyd, Greenidge etc again? Whenever we play out there now, half the crowd seem to be travelling England fans too, which has really altered the atmosphere too. Just feels like a shame to me, and I say that with plenty of memories of watching England fail pathetically out there.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Mccullum will be dining out today,game played at the wonderful University Oval.

I like the look of this place, the Saxton Oval in Nelson, which is hosting a few games. What a beautiful spot for a cricket ground.

saxton-oval-nelson.jpg

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Most New Zealand grounds have that cosy grass banking village cricket ground feel to them.

Well yes, that's lovely, indeed. But those mountains contribute somewhat to the overall picture, don't you think? Stunning spot. The sort that makes you want to be sat there in the sunshine for hours, cold drink in hand, watching the game go by.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Almost certainly not, as New Zealand are far more competent than the West Indies.

I know they used to regularly thrash us, but does anybody else find it a bit sad the way the West Indies have declined over the years? I mean with no real obvious sign of getting back to anywhere near their previous level. Teams do go through cycles of form, but are they ever going to discover players like Marshall, Richards, Ambrose, Holding, Walsh, Lara, Lloyd, Greenidge etc again? Whenever we play out there now, half the crowd seem to be travelling England fans too, which has really altered the atmosphere too. Just feels like a shame to me, and I say that with plenty of memories of watching England fail pathetically out there.

Very sad I agree. Cricket needs the West Indies back to their best or maybe near their best to give us a chance.

Edna wasn't one of those middle aged women who end up in empty Caribbean stadiums looking for a bit of jerky that you often see on TV or did he also fail pathetically?

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Well yes, that's lovely, indeed. But those mountains contribute somewhat to the overall picture, don't you think? Stunning spot. The sort that makes you want to be sat there in the sunshine for hours, cold drink in hand, watching the game go by.
Agreed think i could even go without a cold one and just enjoy the view.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Tut tut Edna.

I think you meant to type:-

The sort that makes you want to be sat in the saddle and head up there in the sunshine for hours, cold drink in your bidon.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

It would be brilliant to see the West Indies back as a real cricketing power. Never gonna happen though...the rise in popularity of football in the Caribbean allied with a strange attraction to Baseball and other American pastimes has led to a decline in the popularity of Cricket.

Shame.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
10 overs
Scotland 22-4 (Boult 2-10 off 5 overs)
Matt Machan looks about as comfortable as a man in hessian underpants

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It would be brilliant to see the West Indies back as a real cricketing power. Never gonna happen though...the rise in popularity of football in the Caribbean allied with a strange attraction to Baseball and other American pastimes has led to a decline in the popularity of Cricket.

Shame.
I agree. Football (soccer) and basketball dominate the Caribbean these days as I understand it. Shame really, because the west Indies cricket team were a proper sporting powerhouse and they'll never be that in football or basketball.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

I'd struggle to watch the game.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I agree. Football (soccer) and basketball dominate the Caribbean these days as I understand it. Shame really, because the west Indies cricket team were a proper sporting powerhouse and they'll never be that in football or basketball.

Maybe there will be a shift in lower now that cricket commands decent money. I don't know anything about grassroots sport in the Windies, but perhaps there is a new guard on the way through.

They have a lot of clubbers at the moment, but little else.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Machan playing an outstanding innings. Just hit a six, 45 n.o.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Now reached 50, great stuff from the Sussex man.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here