Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why is Best picked rather than O'Grady?

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
Because Best comes before O'Grady in the managers phone contacts, so when Chris is phoning around to try and raise a team for Saturday, if Leon says he can make it then Chris has to sit on the bench.
I think that's how it works but I could be wrong.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Best has played in the Premier League ?

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
because Hughton has to justify his choice of Best as a loan striker when form (such as it is) would mean that every other person would pick O'Grady

i am already having grave doubts about CH's team selections not to mention substitutions.

Feb 14, 2010
Well, much of a muchness I expect but my take on it is that if O'Grady is the answer then we have to ask what the question is.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
O'Grady has yet to score a league goal in how many appearances ? CH thought he would give Best a go and I think he has started twice ahead of O'Grady. One has to try things in football. It has yet to work out. I reckon Best will have the next home game to show what he can do and then he will be back on the bench if things do not significantly improve.

It is easy to look back in hindsight.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Maybe he thinks Best needs game time to get up to speed? Chris wanted him so will give him every chance to succeed.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
because Hughton has to justify his choice of Best as a loan striker when form (such as it is) would mean that every other person would pick O'Grady

i am already having grave doubts about CH's team selections not to mention substitutions.

When you take into consideration that it is going to take Hughton time to get to know his players, and then on top of that it will take Calderwood even more time, we could actually run out of time. The games we had with Jones in charge he looked like he put some fire in their bellies and were ready for a relegation scrap. It had a bit of the Great Escape feel about those two games. Maybe with his knowledge of the squad, Jones would have been in a better position than Hughton to take us through it.

I am not saying that Hughton and Calderwood won't turn out good for us but my concern at the moment is because we are playing it so safe, and when we have to really scrap it out in the last few games, we won't know how to do it.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
i have never really been concerned about relegation - i always thought TB would invest to protect his investment. the january transfer window and its complete lack of activity (read complacency) and subsequent results have made me really start to worry. we are deep in the creek of shit and not looking like we have much of a paddle.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I enjoyed the games with Jones in charge because they encapsulated what I want from a Brighton team. I enjoyed the Ipswich and Arsenal games. Gone back to 'meh' now as I'm just finding CH style too safety first. I sort of get it, but it may be too safety first to stay up, which of course is why he lost his last job.

Feb 14, 2010
i have never really been concerned about relegation - i always thought TB would invest to protect his investment. the january transfer window and its complete lack of activity (read complacency) and subsequent results have made me really start to worry. we are deep in the creek of shit and not looking like we have much of a paddle.

I thought the same and agree, we are in a heap of trouble.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
CH is picking Best because he got him in and has managed him before. CoG will get his chance i am sure, am will prove us right

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
More to the point what has happened to Holla? He and Ince were working very nicely together. Being nudged out so Kayal can be nudged in?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here